R26 suspension refresh and clutch/DMF replacement

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, May 4, 2020.

1. I didn’t know you did all your own work Ian.
    What are your rates? :-)

2. Ohhh yes i do all my own work, if there is something i don't want to do or its on my work vehicle, it goes up the road to a garage i have been dealing with for around 30 years now, it's where i get my MOT's done :wink::wink:

I am a marine engineer so work on engines all the time, bus mans holiday really but i like doing my stuff myself, as long as i think it's different sort of work i'm okay :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

To be honest i look at a job and if i think its a £200 job that what i charge, you won't want to pay by marine rate :laughing::laughing:

eddie ninja likes this.
  3. Today's effort, well i had 2 boat jobs today so not a lot done on this one, a good 2/3 hours though.
    Cleaned the engine behind the flywheel.
    49867692697_fd18d3a4f3_k.jpg Now clean by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Fitted the flywheel and clutch.
    49866851358_c7cb8f77ae_k.jpg Flywheel and clutch fitted by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Also cleaned the gearbox housing, well at least i know its clean :laughing:
    49867389266_aca215e243_k.jpg Even cleaned the gearbox by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Will be back down tomorrow, not got any real work to do till next week :sunglasses::sunglasses:

manugtt likes this.
  4. where he finds it. :smile: I had a yugo 55 a very, very long time ago. I bought a new one in Sarajevo.

andrewjeffs likes this.
  5. Ready for joining master! Don´t need to remember you what can happen with flywheel tooth, do I??:tonguewink::tonguewink:

6. Not my car, so not worried :laughing::laughing:, really don't want to go through that ever again :rage:
    Going to be so careful from now on

andrewjeffs and manugtt like this.
  7. still got a fair bit done then ian!...dogbone upper mount showed up today,so will post it down to you!
    i see the slave it the improved metal pipe version,as the older plastic type have been known to fail on LUK clutch kits..

8. I thought i'd better do something, or i would have the owner complaining :laughing::laughing:
    It was quite caked in the gearbox and the engine, must have been weeping of a good while.

That slave does look good with the metal pipe, going to fit the box back in tomorrow, well that's the plan anyway, will have to see how it goes, i didn't realise it is a bank holiday tomorrow, so time and a half :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Are the braided brake lines coming straight to me ???
    It'll be mid next week for the dog bone then, easy job that one

9. i am suprised you dont have them...they said they had them in stock from KAM..better email him.
    mind you,i still dont have the coils i ordered 2 weeks ago!

bank hoiday??..whats that??....i have to fkn work..no one else will!!

Is that gearbox oil that would have been leaking out ian?

10. No, i am sure the oil is engine oil, the shaft area of the gearbox is dirty but not liquid oil, if you know what i mean, the engine side was wet.

nothing yet delivered
    Although i have had a message on Ebay, to say that the headphones i ordered, that they tried to deliver today and why wasn't i at home, there wasn't any note through the door to say they tried to deliver, i didn't have a tracking number, so how do i know when its turning up, there reply was, i have just sent the you the tracking number :rage::rage::rage:

11. I know what you mean, looks like i will be working tomorrow, so it's not just you :laughing::laughing::laughing:

12. yeah..i just checked..i have the paypal invoice from 7 days ago for the HEL lines..but no order conformation email from KAM..i have emailed him...least time kevin came back right away

13. Okay, not going to be needed for a couple of days at least, need to get the gearbox, sub frame, suspension etc etc done first

14. Gearbox is back in, bolted up and a everything that side of it connected, pre-filled the slave yesterday and today as the gearbox went on its squirted fluid out, so the slave and the pipe are full of fluid, i did actually remove the pipe from the bulkhead and not the gearbox end, i had an old spare clutch pipe so pushed that in and the other end above the reservoir to stop all the fluid running out.

I have now come to a stop now as i don't have the new anti roll bar bushes, so it looks like a couple of days off :laughing::laughing:

15. front roll bar bushes?...they are there ian..

16. as fine as ever. you never stop friend

ianplymouth likes this.
  17. proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FN7wqc1z.jpg terrible pic...but the plastic bag top right with the white screwed up paper has the front roll bar bushes and its renault invoice.They were in the small yellow box with the subframe and rear beam bushes..

18. Okay did see them, but thought you were getting Powerflex ones, i will fit them then :laughing::laughing:

19. would rather go with oem when possible,as i have heard stories of harshness with powerflex,and failures.

20. kam didnt get back to me today,which is annoying..i will try and phone him tmrow..

21. ian..have you looked at the rear anti roll bar bush and mounting to see if its still ok?....i know its rusty,but is it still in 1 piece?the new beam bushes are genuine renault by the way.

22. No not yet, i'll get everything on the front done first then i will turn the car around to do the rear work

23. I have a set of powerflex anti roll bar mounts (20mm ones) i bought for my 225 and never fitted them, was going to force them in :laughing::laughing:

24. i think that bracket will be rusted to fk...i will get my engineer mate to make a new bracket like what chris did,and get him to fit it in his unit.
    going outside later to start your car up,as its been sat there all week..

25. Don't just start it, take it for a run, better to do that than just leaving it ticking over

26. the car never has a problem on the oem roll bar bushes until recently..so they did a good 10 years.
    did the new lower arms go on ok?,or not on yet due to subframe being off.

27. i will run it down the lane and back..just pulse the brakes a bit.

28. you need to get up to a good speed and stamp on them :laughing::laughing::laughing:

29. to be honest mate..they bit better than my xp8`s from cold...what are they??

30. Carbon Loraine 8's

Once you said about yours and i tried them down the road i was wondering if i should say about mine, then i thought fuck it he'll find out :laughing::laughing:

31. the brakes on my 265 are not as good as the brakes were on my 225 with lesser pads, when i had the CL8's in the 225 they were wicked a bit to much reaally.

32. mine have a lot of stopping power when pushed hard..but they have a odd trait to sometimes take a while to come in...Probably to old now,and gone off.

33. yours have a nicer bite,and slightly firmer pedal ..

34. i will do the 250 conversion at some point..
    to be honest the brakes are up to the job,but at £300 for 250 callipers brand new,its a bargain.

35. Another thing to take into consideration is that there is a better range of pads for the mk3 and they are cheaper, i think the CL6's i used to have were £70 cheaper

36. They have great stopping power and i have never had them fade at all, you can see how hot they have been by the colour of the calipers :laughing::laughing:

37. yep.. xp8`s are over £200

38. The cl8's i paid £250 :cry::cry:
    I did buy some Endless pads, they were over £400 had to get them from Japan

39. Ian, let me a question in this thread. You think the CL5+ will be fine for a weigh like the Meg? I mean, for fast road or eventually track day. I use CL in car 1200kg. weigh as much and very happy, but maybe for almost 1400kg. I´ll need a plus more. Just wonder to the voice of experience!

40. My 225 had mk3 brakes fitted, i tried quite a few different pads in that, the best was Carbon Lorraine 8's but very aggressive, Endless pads were really good (CC63's i think) lasted well never faded but were over £400, best compromise were Performance Friction Z rated, great price, loads of confidence and never faded.

The Mk3 i used Performance Friction Z rated as they seemed to work really well in the mk2, they weren't that good, okay for a short time on track then they just faded to almost nothing, tried twice on different tracks and in the end they got binned, they would probably would be okay for fast road but on track not for me.
    So then i fitted a set of Carbon Loraine 8's and i have dot had any problems with them, they bit right from cold as Andrewjeffs said, my car is really just for the track although i drive it to and from.
    The CL8's aren't as good in the mk3 as they were in the mk2 but there there a every brake application what ever you do to them, i use mine that hard it's changed the colour of the paint on the calipers, they get that hot.

I think i should look at some cooling for the brakes i think :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

This is all my experience, so don't take this as is :blush::blush:

manugtt likes this.