R26 suspension refresh and clutch/DMF replacement

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, May 4, 2020.

1. Hi all
    Yet another thread :astonished:

Trying to keep myself busy and out of the way of the wife and the jobs she wants me to do :laughing::laughing:

This time its not my car, but someone i know that wants to get his car sorted out, really like the colour of this car

49855996706_276acfdbec_k.jpg The car by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Azza, Jukidam and deano9621 like this.
  2. Got it into the workshop and got it up on axle stands, had to move the stands back to make sure that i can get the sub-frame down.
    49856301312_10201a23cc_k.jpg IMG_20200504_105229 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

3. You fireproofing this one Ian? Don’t think Mr Palmer was too impressed when you torched his grass at Snetterton. :tearsofjoy:

4. Not mine, just carrying out some work for a friend.

5. So stripping out all of the front suspension, as its getting new track control arms, coil springs, subframe mounts, roll bar bushes (front and rear) new clutch and a Duel mass flywheel, more bits are being sent to me also, braided brake lines, Powerflex engine mount inserts etc etc etc etc :laughing::laughing:
    Big box of bits
    49856143961_5a11adeeaa_h.jpg IMG-20200504-WA0007 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

So today was just a strip out day, removing the arms, hubs and suspension units.

Bit of a fight most of the day, so much stuff was seized, rusted etc, must have used half a tin of release spray :laughing:

49855999006_dc1aceaf18_k.jpg IMG_20200504_110058 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

6. goddam piece of junk..who in there right mind would own a car like this!:astonished::mask:

eddie ninja and Poppaboost like this.
  7. those rear disks have been on there maybe 3 years.
    i even had a fight with the front tdisks which had only been on a year!...sea air i think ian!

8. Tried to get the lower arms off, the nuts on the ball joints at the bottom of the suspension hubs were very rusty and would only come off part way, i had to remove the plates on the bottom to let me remove the swivel hubs, as the old control arms aren't going back on i'm going to cut them off.

all stripped out on both sides, sub frame out tomorrow.

49856640167_06c08add5e_k.jpg IMG_20200504_162326 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

9. There the fronts ‍♂️

10. they put a fight then ian?...only been on a short while?

11. does the long shaft support bearing look like its spewing out grease?

12. Ohhh yes, had to break out the 4lb lump hammer for the disc's, booth sides :laughing::laughing:

I'm not sure the bearing is gone, i think i know where its coming from though.

The shaft separated when i pulled it out, didn't realise the shaft is splined, i think the grease from the joint is coming out of the splines.
    there isn't the amount of grease in a bearing

49856006696_b3949b21c5_k.jpg IMG_20200504_162349 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

13. there is loads of grease on and around the bearing/mount.

14. i expect you noticed the reasonable amount of oil,
    in around the driveshaft and sump area thats coming from somewhere.

I cleaned the undertray not that long ago,so somethings not right.
    possibly the sump gasket.

15. The car is shuddering when you give it maximum torque..thought it was that bearing...but it could be one of the worn mounts.

16. i do know my mechanic did pull the driveshaft out by mistake last time he was doing something on the car...so that might have dropped oil.....but it dont smell of gearbox oil under there.

17. I just wanted to get it apart today, will have a better look once i get the subframe out, there is a lot of grease around there, that might be the grease breaking down, but i will give it a good look over to see whats what.

18. the gearbox is dry, all the oil/grease is around the shaft bearing

19. raining in the morning tmrow ian
    when my dozy mate pulled that shaft by mistake..i wonder if he got it back together right if it is splined.

20. I know its going to rain, so another day on your car, Wednesday i'm going to have to go and do a boat service, might be able to get another couple of hours in though.

It looks like it came apart and as you said, but it never went back in fully

21. I did manage to strip the suspension units as well today, had to clean them up a bit :laughing:
    gave them a bit of paint to make them look a bit better, where you cant see, but they were a bit rusty :confused:

New springs fitted and reassembled

From this
    49855470313_6e418ca57b_k.jpg IMG_20200504_172533 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

To this
    49856313572_90b1ba8b3f_k.jpg IMG_20200504_172058 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

And yes i know that the rubber boot is missing, just seen that :cry::cry::cry:

22. those struts are less than 6 months old front and rear.
    the springs are cooksports with minimal mileage..so will sell them on.

top mounts look ok?

23. Bloody hell, there never 6 months old
    I had a right job getting them out of the swivel hubs, they were so corroded in, did your mate fit them ???
    there's not one bit of grease on anything i have taken apart, well the drive shaft is the exception :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'll dig the springs out of the bin then, only joking :blush:

Top mounts looked good, very dirty :disappointed:

24. as i said..my mate just fkn rushes everything.Those struts are oem from RPD!
    top mounts are not new..but probably done 30k..
    some people have no respect for other peoples property..and yet his own car is spotless and meticulous.

25. Taken the subframe off, forgot to undo the steering joint :laughing: (so out came the disc cutter :openmouth:)
    Disconnected all the cables, plugs etc , lower the engine take out all the gearbox bolts.
    Well gearbox is out, i should have pulled the whole engine/gearbox thing out, i really think it's quicker to do this than all this messing around :weary:
    The clutch is about on its last legs, adjustment is at its max, a bit left but not much
    49858741053_9c6ba1ba6e_k.jpg Max adjustment by Ian Austin, on Flickr

26. There is a problem though,
    49858724123_8d4808cff1_k.jpg Oil seal not good by Ian Austin, on Flickr
    Andrew i think we need a replacement crankshaft seal.

I have managed to get the old subframe bush's out and the new ones fitted, also fitted the new Powerflex inserts to the gearbox mount and the lower stabiliser, oohhh yes they turned up yesterday.

Poppaboost likes this.
  27. this must explain the oil then ian

28. where can i get the crankshaft seal from?

29. is that a LUK clutch?...thats odd?..its never had a clutch.so why has it not a oem item?..

30. The funny thing is that there isn't any oil that end of the engine, the oil/grease is from the drive shaft.

I can give you the part number if you want it, then its just an internet search

31. Yes it sure is :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
    Must be a parts bin car :sunglasses:

32. rpd...but you will want it now.I wonder if you can get one from a local supplier like eurocarparts

33. very odd...i wonder if the previous owner had a dmf failure..as i had it from 11k miles

34. Part number for the rear seal is 122797403r

35. will have a look

36. I very much doubt it, but you never know, the dmf is also pretty worn, (lot of movement) more than mine at 114k miles

37. I bought an Elring from Ebay and was really good

38. Glad you got them ok