225 R26 shocks with Cooksport springs??

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Gigne620, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Im going to get myself a set of Cooksport springs for my 225 as soon as they come back in stock. Its passed my mind that maybe i should replace the shocks too. The car has 99K miles so i would imagine the shocks are getting pretty tired. Its a 225 Lux so i believe it has just standard suspension, all ive seen is some green stickers on the rear shocks.

Are the Cooksport springs with R26 shocks a good combination. Should i feel a good improvement compared to just putting the springs on with the old shocks?

Thanks

2. NJH

NJH

Very good, the combination makes for a car that hugs the road like a cruise missile at speed. I fitted them on my R26 with brand new R26 shocks all round. It started off really jiggly but it turns out that was the shocks breaking in, now the ride is really nice on fast A roads, motorways etc. but a bit lively on poor B roads. Honestly though the car is a little under damped with the Cooksports but I think any stiffer damping would be unbearable on the road day to day IMHE (this is comparing to the amount of body roll and damping my race car has which is a little unfair as that thing is crazy bumpy on bad roads). This means that I definitely wouldn't put them on a car with worn shocks and at 99k miles on original shocks yours will be pretty shot really. Be prepared for a very firm ride though for the first month or so before the new shocks break in.

Gigne620 likes this.
  3. Nice. Thats exactly what im looking for. My other car is a Classic Mini which in comparison is very firm compared so coming from that i should feel right at home.

4. NJH

NJH

Limo compared to old minis. My first car was an 85 mini, used to love the things but they are crazy bouncy on bad roads. I think you will love them, very stable at speed much more so than stock R26 springs but still really lovely handling if you either turn in on a trailing brake or just stick it in there hard. Can really throw the car around much like an old mini funnily enough.

Gigne620 likes this.
  5. How long would R26 shocks be good for? I'm in same boat and mines on 63k - cooksports or Eibach proline

6. NJH

NJH

Good question. I thought mine were fine at that mileage and only bought new as they are cheap and it seemed a bit of a nonsense to fit new springs with old shocks. I am surprised actually how much better the car has been on new shocks, much better tied down, less tramlining etc.

Danith likes this.