R26 R26 misfire

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ash.haslam, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Good evening,

Has anyone ever experienced misfiring when the car comes on boost? It also seems to sort itself out once warm.. or it becomes very intermittent.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mate had that in his liquid yellow r26.was the coil packs

3. Thank you mate. It runs fine.. but on boost it starts pooping itself. I might try coil packs then. I am booked in to get it looked into but I might as well try a few things.

4. Where u based ?

5. Derbyshire mate

6. Ahh okies.just that i have a set of four coils here genuine ones you can have for 25 delivered if u needed

7. I might have to have them off you mate. Where you based?

8. Southend essex

9. Any warning lights? When mine did this it was plugs with no lights popping up.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

10. No mate nothing. Only does it on boost coldish. And every so often when it’s warm.. I have a feeling it could be the N75. I also have some new plugs to try. Just seems very odd.

11. Had n75 fail too. Gives check injection warning and comes up on OBD scan as boost pressure valve or something.

12. Felt like traction kicking in.

13. I’m sure it’s nothing serious. It will be something simple hopefully. It’s just finding what haha
    I’m booked in for belts soon so I will get it hooked up then.

14. What do you mean when you say misfire? I only ask, because every now and again, mine seems to hit what feels like boost cut, and the car cuts the power for a split second when coming on boost. Again, it only seems to do it when the car has just about warmed up.

I wouldn’t describe my symptoms as a misfire, as to me that would be more of a loss of some power. Mine is a bit more ‘violent’ than that.

15. Hey mate. Weird [emoji848] I would definitely say mines more like a miss fire. It pops and farts when it comes on boost. But like I say when it’s been running a good while it stops and runs perfectly.

16. Sounds different then. I’ll look into mine one day! It had a new turbo fitted by the previous owner and I’m wondering if the actuator has the correct spring for the car or if it has been tensioned too much when assembling. Not sure how the boost is controlled and monitored on these cars - I’m used to much simpler Jap cars with nothing more than a ball and spring boost controller that can be easily tweaked to suit the map!

17. I think the boost is controlled by something called an N75 valve on these. Which is also a common fault I believe. I’m wondering if that could be my issue but I don’t know if it would cause a mis fire.

18. I believe I had the same issue you had I posted a thread about it here

http://www.rsmegane.com/threads/throttle-hesitation.15207/

I had no error codes.

Changed spark plugs and hasn’t happened since so hoping touch wood that was the cause, the spark plugs I removed didn’t look particularly bad condition though?

19. I won't hijack the thread any more after this post! Your problem sounds exactly the same as mine. My spark plug service is showing as overdue (new plugs are in the garage waiting to go in this week) so I'll be interested to see if this sorts it. It does feel to me as though the car is cutting the spark on all 4 plugs though, akin to the ecu protecting the engine in an over boost situation. It's only happened a few times since I've owned the car, and personally I'm not convinced that the new plugs will cure it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Did you ever sort the issue mate?

21. I haven’t driven the car yet as been doing a few service items / repairs all in one hit. Have replaced plugs and am looking to source a new set of coil packs for peace of mind. Hoping that the combination will cure it.

22. Ahhh I see keep me posted. I also have a set of plugs and n75 valve to fit.

23. Possibly found the source of my issue - this was the state of one of my plugs upon removal:

5f284bcd57685f43648c06b7918ba311.jpg

At first, I thought I’d damaged the electrode whilst removing it, but when you look closely, you can see that the pointed tip has actually worn down at the same angle that the electrode is bent over at. So it has been like that for some time, and I’m amazed that there weren’t any obvious running issues day-to-day. Hopefully it’ll cure the random misfire.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  24. Reviving this old thread.

Is this the sound you guys were getting? Did the spark plugs cure your misfiring?