R26 R26 - engine power issues.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Bob Thompson, Apr 5, 2023.

1. So unfortunately I’ve been having some trouble with the old girl.

Around 200miles (@91k) ago I started to develop a weird hesitation in power and then around 6k it would hit a soft limiter.

The car is running stage 2, 274bhp/290ibs ft. And has been for the last 2years or 5k miles.

I have an iCarsoft diagnostic tool and no codes were showing.

After a bit of research on these forums I suspected the turbo actuator. So I ordered a turbo smart item, with its uprated preload on the waste gate valve is required some alteration to the map.

A trip upto engine dynamics in Chelmsford - about an hour journey for me, was booked in. Today was that day.

First run… 181bhp… oh dear… apparently running very rich.

They flashed back to a standard map… 168bhp… oh very dear…

Compression tests…
    1: 150psi
    2: 90psi
    3: 70psi
    4: 165psi

Oh very very very dear…

So it looks as though I’m gonna need an engine build…

After advice please. I’m in the south east but willing to travel to get the job done right.

I was quite happy with the power/torque figures, but if I’m going to have to have it rebuilt the idea of forging the internals and getting a bit more grunt is appealing.

I just don’t want to overwhelm the front axel and ruin the balance of the car with too much torque.

If anyone has gone down the rebuild route, please let me know your build specs and what kinda ball park figure I should be trying to budget for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Only when the engine is opened will you have more information. Maybe a valve in the engine head just burned out and that's the reason for low compression. How many kilometers or miles does the car have ?

3. The Meg is on 91,000 miles. So it’s getting on a bit..

4. If you're South East I'd definitely be taking it to Alex at AWMotorworks - He used to work at Engine Dynamics, I'm on plenty of forums/groups and I see nothing but high praise for him.

I think the idea of forging the internals is appealing (it was to me) until you actually see the costs involved and to get more grunt you'd probably want at least a hybrid turbo and need all supporting mods - intercooler/sports cat or decat etc. It all really adds up.

I'm sure Alex will be able to go through some options with you at different budgets.

Bob Thompson likes this.
  5. Yeah I’ve been in contact with Alex already - I think that’s the builder route I’d go.

Yeah it’s gonna be a lot of monies… in for a penny…

It’s so much work to do an engine build, so if I can upgrade the internals and turbo capable of 350bhp+ I’ll be happy with a safe detuned map with 290-300.

I’ve literally replaced everything else on the car that I can - well… apart from the LSD gripper upgrade from the standard one.