R26 bleeding the cooling system

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Craig1978, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Hi my heater will only blow out cold air it was working before the car had work done recently so can anyone advise how I bleed the cooling system I'm hoping it's a air lock. Thanks

2. Any ideas anyone. The heater is blowing cold and wanna try bleeding it

3. Same as any other car.

Cap off coolant bottle, get car upto temp (fans come on) , heaters on full heat and leave for a few minutes for coolant to circulate.

There is a bleed screw but ive never ever needed to use it.

4. Thank you do you know where that screw is incase I need it.

5. on the pipes that connect to the heater matrix in the engine bay b

6. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

one on the thermostat housing and one by the brake reservoir/induction hose

7. Gunna be really stoopid here but where a outs am I looking down the right hand side of the block I assume?

8. R26

R26

Yes the right hand side.

6582a0a500fdb8819b6792a60067173e.jpg thermostat housing, red is the bleed screw.
    bea78c0846da3e25e461022caae8f1d1.jpg
    That's roughly where the second one is.
    828e3d2ec6c3f61a4e0753824e328ec9.jpg
    Zoomed into the second one.

9. The second one for the heater matrix is more like a bung than a screw, so just turn with your fingers and pull it out.

Don't drop it!

Do one bleed point, then the other. Not both at the same time.

Don't do it with the car started either.

Once you've done, run the car and get it hot and keep your eye on the coolant level.

The system will self bleed anyway but it takes ages.

10. You guys are stars. Thanks ever so much I really appreciate it. I will try it over the weekend. Wish me luck I will let you know how I go.

11. R26

R26

Have the climate temp set to high heat as well, run two heat cycles, that's allowing the radiator fan to kick in twice.

12. Just to clarify I get it up to temp then turn the car off and remove the first bleed screw do I then restart with the screw out to circulate the water then put the screw back in and repeat for the other screw? Or will this pour hot water everywhere if I do it like this?

13. i did mine with the engine running, just undo the screw a tiny bit and you will see it start to bleed out, let it run out for 10 is seconds and that should be that, it worked fine on mine.

14. I have done this and did my best with the one at the back but it's still not hot only warm do I just keep doing it? The one at the back is hard to see if it's bleeding I was worried about dropping it.

15. I changed my rad last year, filled it up, started the engine ran till warm put blowers on full hot, job done