Question fo Mr Spoon?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Stock265cup, Sep 26, 2021.

1. I’ve just had to put some standard unleaded(shell) in my car because of fuel shortage/mass panic buying by idiots. Haven’t put standard unleaded in my car for years because felt car wasn’t as enjoyable to drive on it. My car was basically empty when put standard unleaded in, almost sensed immediately that car felt like a different car to drive and that particularly on light throttle doesn’t produce as much torque. Please explain to me why I am wrong?(not looking for an argument, generally interested as I guess others are, seeing as though you work in fuel/lubricants industry)

2. Doesnt the ECU need time to adjust to the new fuel octane? Or so I read.

Maybe thats why it didnt feel right.

3. Ecu is probably detecting a bit of det so pulling timing.

4. im sure short term this isnt an issue but i remember my old mk1 golf gti really not liking normal unleaded and would only run right on super. It would be lumpy and pink but as soon as Put in super it would start behaving better. I wouldnt have ever thought it made a big difference until that happened and now I just stick with whats meant to be put in.

5. You will be ok on E10. Personally, if I was just running around doing everyday things, there should not be a problem, but I would not use e10 on track, just for peace of mind.

Brigsy likes this.
  6. Cheers. No problem with car runs fine just doesn’t feel the same engine wise.

7. There will be a difference in a laboratory but unlikely to be noticeable in a real world example. The octane level of a premium fuel protects against knock, by being more resistant to detonation.

It would surprise me if you could feel a noticeable difference

8. There's no way I'm putting E10 in mine.

9. I assume by your username that your car is standard? In which case your car works with normal 95 ron fuel no problem at all, as per the sticker in the fuel cap.

Our cars are compatible with E10. The engines are not the issue, it's the material of the fuel lines and tanks. Higher ethanol content will eat away at the lines and tanks of older cars but they can be converted to accept it and run it with no problem at all. Our cars are new enough that our lines and tanks are compatible out of the factory.

10. Stock is my Surname but yes my engine is standard/stock. I have no worries about putting standard fuel in the car as you say is designed to run on it, just feel it lacks a bit of go with it in.

11. why so?

12. I cant remember if my old 250 said 98octane or higher in the fuel flap but i know the older mk2 does.

The car will run on 95 stock but not recommended, It will feel flat on 95octane regardless of e5/e10. I personally would not run it apart from if desperate, and would drive the car steady. As i said above ecu will be pulling ignition, and it will feel flat for that reason.

13. 100% noticeable in other cars ive own, not tried 95 in the megane and happy not to.

14. What about road cars that say to run them on 98 and if you have to use standard fuel only do in emergency/short period of time? Guess this is because high specific output and it’s all to prevent knock?

15. Basically correct. It's no different to ours which say in the manual 95 or 98 recommended, and 91 in emergencies and for a limited time only. Equally if you get a remap, a reputable tuner will always ask what grade of fuel you normally use to ensure you won't run into any issues.

Since there's two grades of fuel listed in the manual and fuel cap but with no explanation, it might be that 95 is absolutely fine but 98 guarantees peak performance? No idea... but from personal experience I felt no difference when mine was stock and I ran it on 95 then switched over to 98+ prior to modding.

16. TBH I dont beleave a word the government says. They say it's ok, so I think not.

Kyle_R26 likes this.
  17. it's not the government who says this is ok, it is the petroleum industry.

-Jamie- likes this.
  18. You certainly can’t believe a word the government say, car wise or otherwise.

Kyle_R26, Si271 and danmc_82 like this.
  19. But surly the government must be involved somewhere along the line. They're the ones pushing it.

20. The government has a target for emissions. This is one way to work towards achieving those.
    I'd be grateful that the government is thinking along these lines.
    Taxing owners of internal combustion engines would be much worse

21. I agree, and im also glad to see the government doing something about it. BUT I dont like the idea of using a fuel that tthe cars where not designed to use out the factory. Maybe Im just overly paranoid but I'll be sticking to E5 as thats what I use now anyway.

22. Especially these buffoons. Worst lot ever and have made a mess of this country. All this emissions stuff and save the environment is the biggest load of cobblers ever. Say no to electric power [emoji23] the day I give up high octane is the day I'd rather hang myself then drive an electric vehicle lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

23. the future is hydrogen anyway

-Jamie- likes this.