265 problem with oil and water temperations and also air conditioning

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by schmunzel, Jun 12, 2020.

1. I have a 2014 Megane RS as tracktool

Unfortunately, I have had some problems with my Megane for some time now, which cause me some concern.
    1. water and oil temperatures.
    After some laps on the race track I have around107 degrees water and around 125 degrees oil temperature. The RS monitor shows these values. I have now installed the Forge water cooler and an oil cooler but they are almost useless. The oil cooler is also only lukewarm. That can't be right? May someone can tell me there temperations on track.
    2. the air conditioning.
    It always switches off at 125 degrees oil temperature and switches on again at 120 degrees. I've been to the garage with it but they can't find a fault.

Maybe some people here can say something about it, especially what temperatures you have on the race track.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2. What modifications have you on the car, intercooler, mapping, etc
    I have an Airtec intercooler (70mm) Miltec exhaust and my temperature gauge never moves off the normal running position.

Oil temperature is calculated, so is not an actual temperature.

Your thermostat could be at fault, does it take a long time to warm up or doesn't get up to temperature on normal driving.

3. hello and thanks for you reply.
    my car has an 200cell kat, complet new NAP exhaust, bigger intercooler and new mapping.
    your info abou the calculated temp is very usefull.
    under normal drving condition my water is around 85 to 95 and oil also in this range.

the temp go's up right quick and also after they are very hot, it drops fast. i am a bit confuses that the new oil cooler
    is not warmer then 40 degrees or so.
    it looks like one main problem is the calculatet oil temp. may i must fit a real oil temp gauge

4. Have you changed the thermostat recently, cam belt changed or any other engine work, also do you know if your rad fan is working.

My temp gauge stays in the same place, never seen it move up or down with any driving.

It sounds like you have air in the radiator, the trouble is its a bumper off job to bleed.

5. What intercooler do you have ???

6. as a matter of course i'd change the thermostat anyway as seeing load these develop fault

regarding AC switch of, all cars AC system powers down when engine temps rise, its part self protect so management shuts AC off to minimise load on engine pulleys

7. unfortunately, I don't know.
    It was already built into the car when I bought it. It is not the Wagner radiator but it is quite big and fits so even into the car.

8. I'm gonna renew the thermostat once.

Does anybody else have the same problem that the air conditioning switches off when used on the track?

9. #bobsan gave the answer above...

10. unfortunately the problem with the much too hot cooling water is still not solved.

After 3-4 fast laps, the temperature rises far into the red range.
    But I have found a possible culprit.

The car has an intercooler from AIRTEC. It is so big that it covers almost the entire water cooler.
    I think that this is not optimal. Additionally the horns are hanging in front of the radiators. see Pic.

I will now order an intercooler from Wagner, which only covers the lower part of the water cooler and I hope that this will bring a significant improvement.

Attached Files:

11. Have to remember that system was never designed to have the entire front covered by huge radiator as the factory FMIC is relatively small compared to Airtec also as you also have the air con rad as well it’s a big ask to get cool air passed two rads before hitting the water rad. The Wagner should free up more air flow over water rad you could also think about fitting oil cooler as well

12. that's exactly my opinion.

I've already installed a bigger water cooler and an oil cooler.

13. some news from the cooler front.

a couple of weeks ago i exchanged the intercooler for a new one from Wagner.
    in addition some extra ventilation holes were drilled into the bumper.
    as far as I can judge so far, the temperatures have dropped considerably. in normal road use i have mostly around 75 to 80 degrees which is 5 to 10 degrees less than with the old intercooler.
    unfortunately the really hot days are over for this year and i have to wait some months until you have a really hot trackday again

Attached Files:

bobsan likes this.
  14. That quite a good step in right direction though, loving the extra front vents who cut the holes keep meaning to do mine