preparation / restoration megane r26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by LoK28o, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Sorry, thought yours was a 225, they didn't have a diff, the R26 came with one as standard, to be honest i would keep the mk2 gearbox they seam to be quite strong, the mk3 one is a bit temperamental, mine lost 3rd gear and 4th was on its way, that had full Renault service history

there is another option for a gearbox, i might be going this way over the winter :laughing::laughing:

2. as I understand, the boxes of 3 are somewhat stronger and hold a little more PAR or NM but for now my box is going well and does not give me problems.

3. now it's time for a little cleaning!

2020-04-08-18-00-23.jpg

2020-04-08-18-00-29.jpg

2020-04-08-18-00-33.jpg

2020-04-08-18-39-18.jpg

ianplymouth likes this.
  4. This will be interesting!

5. Nice work, what did you use to strip the paint?

I've just done mine and removing the old paint was a bitch, theres still tiny patches left of the old paint!

6. Mr. Clean! Lot of work are you doing man!

7. I will soon put more advances, of the brembo brakes and the restoration that I am doing

8. Nice!

I left mine in thinners for days and it slowly started to come off!

Did your new seals fit okay? The internal seals popped in, but the dust seals were a pain and I'm not very confident in them.

9. the dust seals don't fit that great anyway, its due to the slight curve on the inside of the caliper, push them in as far as you can and that's all you can do, iv'e not had one drop out yet, must change mine twice a year :pensive:

10. Ahh okay, I thought I was being stupid and doing something wrong lol!

By the time it gets back on track, I'll need to do a full strip down and fluid flush anyway so I'll check them then.

11. Mine go crispy due to the heat, so i change them often, i still have to dig that bit out that sits in the recess

12. I do wonder if there's even a point in the dust seals tbh!

With it being used so infrequently on the road, I could probably get away without them and clean them down more thoroughly before each track day.

13. it will stop dust and water getting down the side of the pistons, as the pistons are chrome plated steel and the calipers are aluminium any water will jam the pistons in the caliper, i drive mine to trackdays so it gets all sorts of shite in there.

14. I suppose the overall cost of new seals in negligible considering the cost of everything else lol!!!

15. yes in reality it's a consumable :laughing::laughing::laughing:

16. A cheap hobby I thought .... :fearscream:

17. My wife and i were talking about the price of hobbies earlier, she says playing golf is more expensive (i don't tell her how much a track day costs) she doesn't mind tyres in the hall, just don't put any golf clubs there she said :laughing::laughing::laughing:

So i think that gives me a nod to carry on with track days :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Si271 and manugtt like this.
  18. Golf sticks are big money, apparently!

The Joy's of living alone means I have car parts in every room downstairs :tearsofjoy:

Si271 likes this.
  19. :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    i try, but now and again she throws a wobbly so i move the bit to either the garage or the workshop :blush:

Agreen likes this.
  20. I still don't have them in my possession. I get it on Tuesday. so on wednesday if i have time i will try to put them

21. I spoke to my parents earlier and had a similar conversation.

I said the next time I choose a hobby, I'll start something that is better for my health and a lot cheaper, smoking crack perhaps? :tearsofjoy:

LoK28o and ianplymouth like this.
  22. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    Here we say: if your childrens likes cars, be happy. They will not have money for drugs!:tonguewink:

23. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

That made me properly laugh out loud!

manugtt and LoK28o like this.
  24. we keep taking things apart
    2020-04-11-12-06-43.jpg
    2020-04-11-12-06-49.jpg

intake manifold. a little dirty!
    2020-04-14-16-39-58.jpg
    2020-04-14-16-40-32.jpg
    2020-04-14-17-01-12.jpg
    2020-04-14-17-01-18.jpg
    2020-04-14-17-01-44.jpg

25. Aren't you supposed to be putting it back together :openmouth:

:laughing::laughing:

26. I hope friend, there is still a long job to put it together hahahaha

27. That's good it's going the right way :laughing::laughing::sunglasses:

28. I want to do my best. that's why I want to look at everything with an eye and fix or improve as much as possible

ianplymouth likes this.
  29. sounds a great plan in these times of plenty of spare hours, it will be a great car when you are finished

30. I hope you are right and it is true. I am in love with my car. although I keep working. My job has not closed because of the covi19

31. Great that you can still work and keep the funds for the car rolling in :laughing::laughing:

Your very lucky, i'm a self employed Marine engineer, my suppliers and Marina's are closed, so there is no work for me, got loads to do but can't :rage:

32. as much as luck ...... I would like to be home and not be in that danger. and worst of all of putting that danger at home and family

33. what do you do for a job.
    A week on and a week off would be good.

You have to keep the ones you love safe first and for most

34. I am a mechanical officer 2, that's why I have photos inside a workshop. because I can stay at night. I have machinery and tools. I just lack more knowledge

35. Ohhh wow, in the best place to do the work then, all the right tools and equipment, knowledge will come with time and you never stop learning.

My business pays for my workshop, i just have to keep some Marine stuff in there, just in case :laughing::laughing::laughing:

36. ohhhh that likes friend hahahaha. if knowledge came little by little

37. looking good there mate, shame no one will see it :openmouth: