Power Steering Fault - STOP

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by jamesmeg, Jan 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Hello,

Yesterday i had a very strange issue on my 2010 megane 250. Drove car around as usual and stopped at petrol pump and the final bit while going forward the steering felt a bit heavy. Didn't pay much attention to it as i needed to stop the car anyway to fill up. I filled up, came back when i started the car the relays or some electrical things under the steering wheel started clicking as if they are trying to do something and then it said power steering fault - STOP on the dash. Turned the car on and off many times and it didnt help. eventually left the car running for a good while then when turning off and on again the problem disappeared and power steering activated again. I checked all fuses, tested the alternator and battery which all seem good.

I am bit puzzled at what happened. Drove the car this morning and its been fine since.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions as to what it can be?

Thanks

2. Was it cold weather - on other makes of car (Ford and Fiat) I've known that problem to be due to a slightly weak battery. Might also explain why it sorted itself out after a decent run.

3. It wasnt that cold, around 10 or 11 degrees maybe. Its been through minus temps without issues. And i was driving for a good while before i stopped and had this issue.

4. Dunno in that case - sorry!

5. No problem, thanks.

Anyone else have any idea? problem hasnt recurred since thursday and i've been driving it daily since.

6. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

Not experienced it on an X95 myself yet but on the previous Megane it was normally due to either a UPC fault or low/poor battery.

Either way I'd personally have it plugged in to see what comes back as steering lock modules are a pain to your wallet when they occur and they tend to leave you stranded as no electrics will work unless the SLM reports back to the UCH it's safe to do so.