R26 Please help, timebelt tensioner pulley (?) idler pulley (?) timebelt dont fit

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jukidam, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Hello Everyone, im Julian from Germany and have a RHD Megane 225 F1 Team. But i will introduce myself and the Car tommorow, i know that this is in some forums not likely seen but i need fast help to end Finally my Project.

I rebuild the zylinderhead because of 2 holes in the exhaust valves (pics later in the introduce theard), everthing was simple, but now after i mount everythin on i dont't know how i fit the belt.
    i have the Workshop manual but there'isnt exactly written in which hole and in which direction i neet to straighten the pulley.

My exact problem is, if i fit the flap in the upper groove, i can fit the belt over everything but the Marks on the Pulley don't move, but the belt straighten (I buy a new pulley from INA to make sure it isn't a defect)

And if i choose the lower Hole i cannot get the Belt over the crancshaft wheel.

As additional Information, Everything else is Mounted like Other pulleys or waterpump and so on, but i dont think there's the problem.

Someone here with a Idea ?
    Thank You a lot for Reading !

Attached Files:

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Julian
    The peg on the back goes into the elongated groove, it is very tight to fit, what i do is remove the idler pulley, the plain one.
    you will need to hold the belt tight to stop it slackening off, you can then put the bolt in the hole and use that to lever the plain pulley in.
    Hope that makes sense

Jukidam likes this.
  3. Thank you a lot, I will try it tomorrow.

Do you know in which right I need to move? Clockwise or against ?

greets

4. ianplymouth

Do you have the tool that goes in the rear of the camshafts ???
    Have you locked the crankshaft off ???
    If so you need to loosen the camshaft pulley bolts about one turn, that will allow the belt to move and take out the slack, make sure the adjuster pulley is in the slackest position and tighten slightly, fit the plain idler and then tighten the adjuster pulley clockwise.

Tighten the cam pulleys, remove the setting tools.

Turn the engine over at least 4 revolutions to make sure nothing catches.

Refit the locking/timing gear and make sure it all fits as it should, adjust again if required.

5. Hey

My Tool doesn’t fit so I don’t have one, We changed the belt last year so We make it just with marks and Curb Stopper and it work great.

but We forgot how We made it with the tensioner pulley

Mhm, I hope I can fit it tomorrow without to open the crankshaft adjuster wheels.

But thank you!

6. ianplymouth

You need to at least know if the cams are in the right position, the slot in the rear of the cams should be horizontal, they are offset as well, so slots should be in the lower position and then make sure number 1 piston (clutch end) is at top dead centre, you can take the plug out of the block and use a 6mm drill bit to lock the crank in position.

If you did it last year you should not need to undo the cam pulleys.

7. I’m sure that everything should be In correct postition by Marks and cam lock

just need to figure out how to fit the tensioner pulley to reassemble the new belt.

maybe you know in which direction I need to straight the pulley after I fit everything ?

8. ianplymouth

the tensioner needs to tighten clockwise

9. Sorry for asking twice but are you really sure about this

10. ianplymouth

the engine turns clockwise, so the belt turns clockwise, the tensioner is on the right so the belt runs on the back, so turning clockwise brings the pulley up , if you go the other way and it comes loose it will over tighten the belt.

Jukidam likes this.
  11. Sounds wise, thank you a lot.

i will try it tomorrow and reply if (also if not ) everything work out

12. @ianplymouth i do it your way and it was really easy. Thank you.

But now I have another problem what I try to solve since 2 hours,

how I get this plastic thin back to place. I can’t push it from above and under the engine is too less space

Here some pics:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

13. ianplymouth

I have never replaced the cambelt with the engine in the car, i always pull the engine out, best time so far 2hrs and 20 minutes to have the engine on the floor.

If you managed to pull it out when the engine was in it should go back in, it is tight be is doable

14. The next time I will absolutely remove the engine.

it’s true pain to work at this tiny workspace.

But I got this plastic in and now I need to assemble the engine mounts, new water and hopefully go for a ride without problems

15. ianplymouth

Its all a learning experience :laughing::laughing:
    Hope it runs as its supposed to

Jukidam likes this.
  16. Absolute :tearsofjoy:

17. I finished the Project and everything works great. Big Thanks to you for the help.

E5C044FC-16E4-406A-A91D-6C3A057657C8.jpeg

JJZ likes this.