265 Please help - My shocks have no knob - BC racing Coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Pyper, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Possibly a stupid question but can someone please tell me how to install the damper adjustment knob into the front of BC racing coilovers on a Mk3?

They don’t come installed when delivered and are instead lose in the box alongside the C spanners. Since I didnt insert them before giving the kit to my garage and they never noticed them in the box, the coilovers have been fitted without them. When I came to inspect the car I pointed this out to him but he was unable to simply push them into the top (they just sat loose ontop, meaning I could adjust the damping but the adjuster was loose and could just fall out). Can someone who has these installed please confirm if the little knob should just push into the top of the shocks or is to something I will have to do next time they are off the car? I don’t want to break anything by forcing the adjusters into the top of the shock.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. A picture of mine during fitting, they cut a bigger hole to allow for camber adjustment, so had to remove the corner panels either side, think this also needs the wipers, and the scuttle panel to be removed.
    49065580571_5ee04b6f0d_k.jpg IMG_20180927_112145 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

You could also undo the 3 retaining bolts and then jack up the car till you have enough room to fit the adjuster knobs

They don't fully go in to the top of the shock, but they are too long to fall out as they hit the underneath of the panel thats over it, mine have never come out.

3. Thanks for the reply, yeah I would ideally like to get the bigger hole cut in future.

"They don't fully go in to the top of the shock, but they are too long to fall out" - They don't just sit loose in to hole though do they? The one in the driver's side looks like it could easily bounce out if I just sit it in there.

4. I can squeeze them in with it as it is, they sit like this though, is that right?

Attached Files:

5. that looks like mine, so they will stay in

6. Yes they just sit in the top

7. Ok cool, just my paranoia then as I thought they would sit flush and snug. Thanks for the help.

8. Mine have been in for nearly 2 years now, i have done about 20 trackdays and 25k miles and there still in there

Pyper likes this.
  9. as said they dont drop down flush with damper but at same time cant 'jump' out as panel above wont allow, then to adjust need two fingers to push and pull either side wheel

Pyper likes this.
  10. If you want to drill it yourself, use a 75mm hole saw then wind a 48mm inside of it on the arbour. The small hole saw centres itself too the existing hole and makes the new one perfect.

Pyper and torquenstein like this.
  11. Bit of an update: I took my car to Bram racing in Castleford to get the suspension properly setup. While there I got them to cut larger holes in the struts also. Thosr guys there are great and they kept working late on a Friday to make sure everything was sorted and done right. Highly recommended them, they also set ituit exactly as I asked and explained anything I had questions about. It doesn't look quite as good in a closeup pic but they did a really neat job of the struts.

I also got to the car out today for its first proper drive since getting it all setup and it feels amazing! It feels so planted now, I just want to take it back on track so badly.

I also got some feedback from BC about the adjusters. Originally they though that I had been sent the wrong ones but after they spoke to the guys in the factory they said that what I had was correct. They were pretty good really and even sent me a shorter pair of adjusters. I'm not sure if I will use them or not yet though as if anything they would be more likely to bounce out. Pics to follow.

12. IMG_20200728_122850.jpg IMG_20200728_122831.jpg IMG_20200724_152808.jpg IMG_20200724_152823.jpg

manugtt likes this.
  13. IMG_20200728_183130.jpg IMG_20200728_182921.jpg IMG_20200728_182809__01.jpg IMG_20200724_182014.jpg IMG_20200728_183036.jpg IMG_20200728_182929.jpg IMG_20200726_132338_178.jpg

JJZ and manugtt like this.
  14. IMG_20200728_211436.jpg

15. Looks a good job mate. I fitted some KW's at the weekend and also cut a hole out of the struts, definitely worth doing! I would get some paint on the exposed metal though.

manugtt likes this.
  16. Cheers yeah I need to get them touched up soon.

17. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I was about to say the same! With the weather you have in England, worth to protect that chassis of future rust.
    Good job man. Definitively, I´ll look for a set of Tibor in a future!:wink:

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Those adjusters don't look right, the ones on my old Megane and my E92 have nuts that thread onto the damper?

19. It sounds like they were maybe different in the past but BC confirmed with me that these are the correct ones.

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Weird, every other kit I've seen have these, I even bought new adjusters for the Megane kit very recently and they were the same as these [emoji2373] c7197e848eb5e5f18328645ad6ac05b1.jpg

21. BC aside looking at your geo you've got toe IN at front, does it try understeer in corners ??

22. Jamie I thought it was weird to but other owners and BC themselves have confirmed that the kits currently come with versions that just sit in the top.

Bobsan it has 0.05 toe out each side, I've not had it on track yet but it feels really good.

23. Hmnn I might have that the wrong way round? Like I say though it feels really good.

24. Well will do as toe IN gives good straight line stability see how goes when chuck into corners