R26 Piston ring failure?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by rTEM, Aug 30, 2016.

1. c769c17881564b7d529430c5e1c982ad.jpg
    Dipstick was out about half inch, i guess piston rings? Started smelling something burning trough heater fans. Web arrived home the above was waiting for me under the bonnet

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. :fearscream: :fearscream: :fearscream: omg! Piston ring can do it? :frowning:
    It can be blamed only on the dipstick? I'm so sorry for you :disrelieved:

3. crazy gutted good luck for the rebuild...:unamused:

4. gutted for you, but remember, a little oil goes a long long way,
    Do a compression test first, might be the turbo.

Nigelo likes this.
  5. Ugh! I know from the world of focus RS that the old oil firing out the dipstick basically means piston ring(s) away.

Hope that you get sorted, and it hasn't come at a bad time.

6. Felt no change performance wise, nor it sounded any different. Only indication that something is wrong was the burning smell, still drove home 5miles.

Nigelo likes this.
  7. Sure it's not the pcv valve being dodgy?

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

8. What is it? Dipstick was deffo out

9. Sorry just checked it doesn't look like the mk2 has a pcv valve. Would be worth looking into if any of the breather pipes are blocked though

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

10. Have to get it to my mechanic, need to sort out another car as i must drive to work. Car on finance is the only solution, bad timing, girlfriend will kill me, holiday plans down the drain

11. Boys i cable tied the dipstick and moved the car, after topping up the oil, no knock noise or any strange simtoms. If ring failure are would i notice a change in performance or have noises? Ether way the car is going to garage, only hope the bore is not damaged, but sure it will be

12. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

hopefully it doesn't cost alot :fearscream:

13. best thing to do would be a compression test. If its low then it could be leaking past the rings and into the crank case causing crank case pressure hence blowing the dip stick out. Is the car mapped.

14. 282/300

15. U know best whats the cost of this mate, could u pm me whats your cost, if u don't mind, especially with oversized pistons as that might be my case as well. If u r not comfortable with sharing it i do understand. Anyways looks like i am going to sell my very little used 60d with two sigma lenses two flashes wih two cactus wireless receivers tripods and bags

16. Fingers and toes crossed for you.
    [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Thanks mate

18. f12ed66a2a015e74df2e967d38c1dc9a.jpg
    I don't post many pictures, so thats her bleeding on mybdrive

ianplymouth and Nigelo like this.
  19. Time to forge it if the rings have gone, or a 250 turbo if it's that, like the yellow a lot very nice.

20. Ok boys, booked a recovery truck for tomrrow, car is going to Gary Burnett in Warrington, where the engine will be removed and sent to engine dynamics for a rebuild, have not spoken to them yet but that is the plan, i won't be rushing with this. Gearbox rebuild is on the list as well. In the meantime looking for a cheap runaround car fabia or citigo.

Nigelo likes this.
  21. Good shout on engine dynamics , easiest way

22. Just dropped it @ the garage, if the bore is ok will probably just get the the stage 2 rebuild kit and have it done by my mechanic, otherwise engine is going to engine dynamics. Will know more in couple of days

23. Good lad Gary.

Are you local @rTEM ?

24. Manchester mate

25. Ahh not far then. I'm in Warrington.

26. Had the car a few times @ Gary's, good lad indeed mate

27. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

i think your better off breaking the car and selling me the wheels @rTEM :tonguewink:

28. Cheeky bugger

29. Yeah your car is in good hands with Gary.

30. Ok boys, cylinder number one 50psi compression, on camera inspection looks like a peace of the piston is broken. Engine will be stripped during next week

31. Hi boys, this all is going on sale, i will start a for sale thread here with all the prices, which i need to google, but looking to advertise at around 60% of average retail price, everything is in perfect condition, so this pic for attention only 1af0a842d761e82157e2ed5ff157405d.jpg

32. My new ride, second car, megane is going to be the nice weather car. 1.6 tdi 105bhp boys!!!

a6b34aad32a19af7cd3174b1ae314859.jpg

tof73 likes this.
  33. BEAST......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34. Ha ha, a beast indeed[emoji2] for a daily horse it is perfect for me, roomy 58mpg town driving( megane did not climb over 18!!!)

35. Ordered engine dynamics level 2 package today. The bore is not damaged so bit of luck here. Shall i get new valves and springs as well for extra £300, or spend the money somewhere else on the car?

36. First batch of orders arrived, must work few days more of overtime to get the rest[emoji6]
    fb74085ed8401749b1ff2ac8d2a8013e.jpg

Nigelo likes this.
  37. Don't suppose there's a zoom lense in there for a canon 1200d?

38. No mate, only sigma 17-50

Danith likes this.
  39. Almost there, catcam springs and supertech valves, inconel exhaust side 646eff1668d0b535e2dd932c8f450822.jpg
    Should have last bits next weak and finally the build can begin.

40. Keep us updated with the new build etc