Pipework issues - Intercooler/Boost related??

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by SteveKozy, Oct 18, 2020.

1. I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue of the intercooler pipework blowing off under boost?

I've not had that problem till recently. I found myself changing plugs and coils for service. Shortly there after she blew a cap on the intercooler hardpipe running across the engine.

I refitted it. But seemingly it keeps happening especially under hard acceleration.

Anyone have any ideas? Overboost creating too much pressure? Or just worn silicone pipework failing?

Thanks in advance

2. You got a pic Steve?

3. if its only just started then its possibly something that you have disconnected or knocked off while changing the plugs and coils.

Look at the pipe to the wastegate, make sure there isn't a split in it causing the over boost.
    Or if there is something jamming the actuator

4. IMG_20201018_205558.jpg

5. That's about the best I've got off the offending area tonight. I'll get more tomorrow when i take things apart further to check for issues elsewhere.

I did wonder if I'd done something when I did the coils/plugs. It is right by the area I'm having issues with. But i didn't need to take anything apart or move to get them done bar maybe a little bit of a wiggle.

It does feel like it's over boosting in so far as it's only under heavy load when it's happening. But that could just be a placebo in my brain. And it's just a busted clamp.

6. If that’s a standard boost pipe it should have a bracket that attaches to the rocker cover around there.

7. It's not standard I don't believe as its running a 95mm airtec intercooler. Obvs it was on the car already when bought so can't say for sure or be able to tell if its aftermarket. MTC?? & Airtec. Included another image.

Annoyingly the only thing i could see wrong was the heat shield has cracked and was flapping about so taken that off and found this... That doesn't look right. Shouldn't there be three bolts in the downpipe. I can only see one at the back!? 16031029032723425518449869562435.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Yes there should be 3 bolts on it, common issue for them to rattle loose though tbh.

Should that rib on the inter cooler pipe not be behind the jubilee clip or is there another one further back?

9. It's ribbed both ends and the clip sits between the two. So i assume to stop movement forward or backwards.

I've put a new clamp on. Tightened all ends. It seems much firmer and less likely to pop off now. Maybe I moved it to much doing the coils... Which may be causing my an issue now. Stuttering hard intermittently. It all comes at once doesn't it.

You are right though it does need a bracket so I'm going to fabricate something and weld it on to the pipe. That should help it even more.

Love cars

I managed to fit two studs this afternoon to the downpipe on the drive without needing to unbolt anything to get to them. The third. The 02 sensor is blocking it. So it can stay missing.

So fingers crossed i can now narrow down the coil issue. New coils and plugs are only week old. Ngks and bosch coils. Surely can't be having an issue with those already??!