250 Performance Friction brake pads - need better

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Daniel Godfrey, Feb 4, 2019.

1. I got huge fade in them pretty quickly at Donington Park a few weeks back. Pedal to the floor nearly at one point on the cool down session which was pretty scary.

I always make a point of not staying out too long as well on track days, plus i wasn't going mental with the brakes either.

I find on the road they are great, lots of instant bite from cold, but seem to be nowhere near as good when you are pushing on and braking at speed? Anybody else find this?

What pads do other people find are good on the road and on track?

I run carbotechs xp8 on my other track car but i think they might be a bit over kill as the Megane is used more on the road than the track. BUT i do want pads that don't fade and give me confidence in the braking areas?

2. Been running XP8`s on the road for many years.
    Dont find them overkill at all.
    They amaze me how user friendly they are, for a `track pad`.

Dusty and low speed noise..but i dont care for strong brakes.

3. I had a mk3 brake setup on my mk2, i was running PF z rated pads and really rated them, did try xp8's but they were quite viscous on the road but good on track, i fitted a set of PF z rated pads to my mk3 and after one track day they came out, never really had any fade but never felt very strong.

Fitted a set of Carbon Lorraine XP8's and they are more to my liking, just ordered a set of PBS pads to try, i don't know why there is so much difference between the cars even with the same brake setup.

I assume you have uprated brake fluid, standard fluid isn't going to help one bit, i'm running Motul RBF660.

4. I've been well impressed with Pagid RS29's on previous Fords and more recently Clio's

5. But there quite pricey and a couple of people say they don't really work that well on the mk3

6. They are on the expensive side I agree, can't see why they wouldn't work well on a mk3 they were excellent on both Mk1 & Mk2 focus RS's and Mk3 Clio.

There's always the DS1.11, it's a bit cheaper although I reckon the Pagid is a better pad.

The PBS pad gets good reviews and is a very decent price

7. One thing worth pointing out is that we had the least disc issues with the RS29 than any other pads we tried, these included DS2500, DS3000, XP10, DS1.11, RS14

8. A good pad on one car doesn't say that its good on all cars, different cars react differently to different pads, They say EBC pads are great in Honda's, ask on hear about putting EBC's in a Magane :laughing::laughing::laughing:

9. Fluid just as important as pads, bye what can afford, best Endless then Castrol React then RBF 660 as minimum

10. I agree that the RS29 was kind to rotors but in terms of outright performance, DS3000 is my go to pad.

11. Are the DS3000 a big step up from the DS2500?

I found the DS2500 had rubbish bite, felt wooden as hell through the pedal but lasted for ages and never faded.

12. right there ian.I had redstuff in my integra dc2,and was shocked by how good they were.
    Put yellowstuff on my Puma and the rear of my R26 and they were worse than standard.
    I could fade the brakes in the puma after 1 hard stop!

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You've had a hugely different experience with yellows to me then, but I guess car setup could play a big part also. I tend to run Rs44 or 29s on the rear but had to fire in some yellows for a day at KH short notice, they were fine even with aggressive RST3 fronts.

As for DS3000s decent pad but deposit like mad, DS1. 11 or UNO are preferred by many.

XP series pads are superb as well I've ran nearly all of the compounds and they are pretty savage, pedal feel is a little wooden though

14. i could get the yellowstuff pads groaning at the rear of mine after 1 or 2 high speed stops.
    on the puma,they absolutely destroyed a new pair of front disks..thrown in the bin.

In regards to my xp8`s..i have ran them for fast road/occasional track day for 9 years.
    I find them feelsome on the pedal,but they do bite very hard when hot,so you have to get used to light pedal applications.

virtually no warm up to work,which always suprised me.
    Again,dust is the main issue.So you have to keep wheels clean,or it will weld itself to them.

People always comment how strong my brakes are,but i also run very efficient brake cooling.

15. Yes. It’s more of a dedicated track pad whereas the 2500 is fast road/track pad compromise.

2500 seems to work very well on the track for OEM Clios but the Megane is heavier and has much more speed.

DS1 and UNO are better all round pads than 3000 and also have more endurance but I use the 3000 for outright performance and bite.

16. Do you not suffer from pad deposit issues with the DS3000?

I tried them for one trackday at Cadwell on a MK1 Focus Rs running AP 6 pots and the discs had to be skimmed afterwards !

Then switched to the Pagid RS14 and the problems went away. Then tried the RS29 and again no issues at all

Used the DS1.11 on the Clio and they were fine, tried the XP10 on the Clio and experienced a pad deposit issue after one lock up in the wet at Oulton !

We have a set of PBS waiting to be tried - the Civic racers rate them

It's a case of you pay your money and take your choice, just make sure the lines and fluid are upgraded also

17. Not at all. Perhaps it’s because I use slotted disc rotors though.

18. Really interesting reading this thread,

Has anyone got experience of using PF 08 pads.

19. Who has tried PBS then? They seem cheap which actually puts me off.

20. I have a set to try out, just waiting for some new disc's, should be ready for the trip to the ring, will give you a report when i get back, but quite a few i have spoken too rate them, we will see.

21. They were epic in my DC5. Very dusty mind.

22. I've ordered some xp10s :smilingimp:

Looking forward to try them out!!

Just-that-ek likes this.
  23. Great pad

24. i'm running cl xp8's at the moment, there good but not as good as they were on my mk2 with the mk3 brake setup so at a loss where to go to next with the pads, going to try the PBS at the ring and going to see what there like, have looked at better complete new setup's but at £1900 seems a bit excessive without knowing how much i will gain from them.

25. pads are nothing without fluid. Most pf race pads need bedding in to good discs (they're not road pads you need to cycle the pad - just like RS29s)
    None of this is any use without decent fluid and a decent discs and knowing how to use all of it.

26. yep XP`s are the same.They must be bedded in according to the correct procedure,
    which included getting them to failure,which is actually quite hard on the road.

I put new disks on with my latest set of XP`8`s,as well as motul fluid..

27. Mine were only PF Z rated so i didn't ever expect them to be amazing. Plenty of stopping power for the road mind.

New discs and fluid when i fitted the pads.

XP10s have now arrived! Should get them fitted in the next few days, and a quick bleed of the brakes.

28. I've had the xp10s on my megane for a few years now and they are absolutely brilliant, every car i drive now feels awful when braking.

Enjoy.

29. repeating myself..but make sure you do follow the bedding in instuctions.
    my last set i didnt bother,and they were fab on the road.
    but when we went to the ring,they completely glazed over,
    because i hadnt gone through the high heat cycle.

Had to take the pads out,and run a belt sander over then to get them back!

30. Wow XP10s are amazing!!

I got them fitted + bedded in and the stopping power is nuts! Definitely going to have to change my driving style on track!!
    Well worth the extra cost!

Just-that-ek likes this.
  31. Best pads I've driven with by far! Get some semi slicks on it and it'll feel like a race car.

32. Do you have a link for them please?

33. ive only used pfz pads and ive never had fade.
    My braking style is very aggressive.
    Have you uprated your lines and fluid?

34. you n
    you normally have to buy them direct from carbotech.

35. Same here. Used the PFZ Z-rated pads on Francorchamps and found out you need to be really aggressive on them.

36. What are they like on the road (ie. cold)?

37. xp10 from cold are outstanding are also massive step up from most pads and do offer huge retardation but.....at a cost:

they produce a staggering amount of heat so might want to look at some sort of additional cooling
    they produce a good amount of fine dust (like many other pads) thats difficult to remove
    they can be bit wooden in 'feel' also bit 'on' or 'off' type braking on public road but fine on track

if you're impressed with the xp10 try xp20 they're another lever again

38. Relatively new pads but I find them brilliant are the wynmax I use the 6.5 they are expensive at 280 for the mk3 fronts but have minimal dusting great initial bite and are relentless on track although I have brake ducts so this should help a tad. These replaced padgids rs29 which i am sure they have changed the compound as i don't feel they are nearly as good as they used to be in my old evo 8 ! Had performance friction 7 which were good but dusty as hell. And used the 8 compound which get to hot after a few laps. That's just my experience. Give the wynmax a try don't think anyone would be disappointed!