Pattern Exhaust Hangers-warning

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by L-1011, May 5, 2015.

1. This is just a word of wanting for anyone looking to change their exhaust hangers.

I noticed that the exhaust wasn't sitting level in the rear bumper on a RS175 that I've recently bought.

I investigated to find that whilst the NS hanger wasn't completely sheared, part of the rubber was. The other hanger was taking the strain so I decided to change both of them.

I bought pattern parts from eBay to the tune of £15.99 for the pair. They were manufactured by FA1.

The overall assembly looks about the same but like a Chinese copy of a Rolex, the detail is poor.

- the rubber itself doesn't look particularly good, very shiny and pliable. It certainly won't last as long as an OE one. The shape and design with integrated bump stops is almost right but not 100%.
    - the metal angle section is ok but the top part which sits flush to the bottom of the car is not as countersunk as much as the OE part. This means that the braided tie (anchored to the top of the plate) which is present incase the rubber fails, fouls the top of the plate when you mount it.
    - the worse part of this copy is the two small holes. On the OE part their are two round holes. On this pattern part the holes are elongated, presumably to give you adjustability. Great in principal, crap in reality. The big problem is the vertical separation is incorrect. This means you have to angle the fitment using the elongated holes to accommodate fit. You can get away with it where fitment allows this but where the hanger needs to sit vertical it won't go on. I had to open up the holes to increase the amount of adjustability. Then I had to pack the bolts out and fit oversized washers. Not a lot of material left meaning it won't last long.

I had the old torn hangers off, the car on the ramp and these parts in my hand. I like making things fit and I had the time but ideally I shouldn't have had too.

I'll be getting some OE hangers. Incidentally because of the angle caused by the incorrectly positioned holes, the exhaust doesn't sit in the middle of the bumper still. It's better but not perfect.

Moral of this is get proper OE parts.

2. I had the exact same experience and will be contacting the supplier when I get a minute! My rear bracket is held with just one of the two screws for the time being.... i did however add a cable tie or two round the whole bracket whilst i get an OEM bit.

Gareth

3. Yeah. I don't understand why the company (Fischer Automotive One) have gone to the extent to make these only to incorrectly space the holes so they don't fit. Not only this they sell them like it! Did they not bother to check the product? or not care and sell them anyway?