P0420 code catalyst system below efficiency threshold bank 1

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Chris V6, Apr 17, 2017.

1. my R26r has come up with this error code, the car runs fine unless I accelerate hard then it is like it is misfiring. It is running a de cat, should I put the cat back in ? Does it just not like having a de cat ? Or is it something else?

I am not sure why it judders under hard acceleration ?

Thanks for any help, don't really want the dealers to have my trousers down

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Have you had it remapped ??????

3. I haven't but the de cat was put in before I brought it so I am guessing it probably has, don't really know if there is a way to check though.

It ran fine for over a year, but I only did a few hundered miles in it, the problem just happened after it came out of winter storage

Thanks in advance

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Might not be that then, probably needs a good run, lend it to me for a week and i will sort it :laughing:

Run up my Merc today for the first time in 10 months and ohh my god sounded like a tractor for the first 10 minutes :sweat:

5. Thanks for the offer to kind, I thought that it might just need a good run did about 100 miles in it, home from storage the light only came on after about 100 miles.

The problem is I don't really want to hammer it as the judder under hard acceleration concerns me. I can turn off the engine light as I expect it to pop up from time to time as not having a cat but the judder/Miss fire is my concern. It's really strange as under normal acceleration it's fine.

ianplymouth likes this.