Oyster grey RS250 cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by jack250, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Car looks good. You were at the 'ring Monday? I was there over the weekend!

jack250 likes this.
  2. Yeah arrived Sunday evening and got up early Monday to drive round. Terrible conditions though was gutted! How did your weekend go mate?

3. Yeah it's a shame. The weather was excellent up until Monday. It even brightened up a lot later on Monday.

I had a good week, though the Megane was just spectating this time. We were there from Wednesday until Tuesday and half of my friends had car problems, but we still had a great week. Can't wait for next year!

4. Fit a powerflex engine mount insert yesterday. The one below was one they first sent me but had a split in the rubber when it arrived. Make sure you check over stuff before fitting for faults chaps.

IMG_0964.JPG

New one fitted. Just support the engine from underneath with a jack and undo the 6 bolts to fit. Pretty easy!

IMG_0965.JPG

There's some more vibration on tick over but adds more character to the car.

5. Mine was same, think supposed to be split, also I removed the header tank to slide the powerflex into mount. Noticed after bit hard driving the black top plastic lock would ride up trying to 'escape' the torque

6. It's not meant to be split mate. I sent photos to powerflex and they said it was a faulty one and sent me a fresh. It shouldn't move once in place

7. Ah ok, good to know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. how do you change the mount? do you need do support the engine from the ground? i also got powerflex 2 weeks ago and it is still waiting on my desk :smiley:

edit: uh sry man i just saw under the picture that need to support it and unscrew 6 bolts, thanks :smile:

9. Came across a chap selling some kw clubsports for a great price so bit his arm off them. They are only a year old so still have warranty and came with some stiffer front springs.

Spent half the day yesterday (in 26degrees!) fitting them with my brother. We took our time with it all and used a couple of videos on YouTube as a guide. Wasn't the hardest job but not the easiest. Definitely need 2 people, a good tool kit and some mechanical knowledge of a car.

I have no idea what the camber is yet but it's more than standard. I'm going for -2 but will have to see how close we got when I get it checked. The ride height at the front is 33.5cm from center wheel to arch and the rear is 35.5cm. I'm happy with the front, going to drop the rear down to about 34 I reckon. I left the normal springs on the front for now. Bump and rebound set to factory recommended settings.

It's made the car feel completely different. I'm shocked at how smooth it is on the road. Feels like a rolls Royce! Went for a little blast down some country lanes and am really impressed with the body control. Feels superb. Can't wait to do some more driving!

IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0996.JPG

Jimbob 2705 and Nigelo like this.
  10. binns and jack250 like this.
  11. Yep I got the guidelines with the coilovers @MartijnGizmo! I took the minimum distance from center hub to fender then worked out what that equated to for the measurement on the shocks and set them a bit higher than the min. My calculations weren't a million miles away! Just going to drop the rear by 10mm today I think. Sunday is a good day for a tinkering eh

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd aim to keep the rear at least 10mm higher, bit of rake helps massively, think mine is around 15mm higher on the rear after some trial and error

jack250 likes this.
  13. Cheers for the advise mate. I actually went against lowering in the end as when I re measured it all sat in place pretty well. Going to leave it as it is for now and just see how it feels with more driving.

Hunter alignment next to check the camber. Thinking about cutting out the top mounts using a dremel so the adjustments can be made on the car.

14. Car looked ace this morning jack

jack250 likes this.
  15. Nice one mate. You'll have to let us have a spin in your clip next time. Never been in one! Hope the swivel joint cures your issue too

16. Certainly mate you can show me how it should drive - if you know how! Which you do haha!!

I'll let you know mate thanks

17. I haven't updated my thread for a while so as summer is coming to a close I thought I'd share a few pics.

These are all from a trip around Scotland in June. 4 cars (x2 E46 M3's, 435i and the Meg), we did 1450 miles in 5 days, all around the hightlands and Cairngorms. It was the best experience I've had in a car. Incredible driving roads. The scenery was spectacular and the car with the kw's felt the best it ever has. I softened the dampers off quite a bit for the trip and it felt so compliant and built massive confidence in some rougher sections.
    IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG

Attached Files:

Pyper and massivewangers like this.
  18. IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1240.JPG OZ Superleggera are some new wheels I got on eBay for an absolute steal!

I've been playing around with the rebound and compression settings for the road. I'm running very soft setup now with the rear slightly stiffer than the front. Car feels really planted but also has some very predictable lift off oversteer which is very fun! Especially with all this rain!

StephRS, Nigelo and massivewangers like this.
  19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Beat choice :wink:

Nice to see someone playing around f with dampers as well, softer is definitely the way in a lot of situations, more traction as the dampers Actuslly do some work

jack250 likes this.
  20. The wheels are top mate. No way would I be able to afford oz's but got these for so cheap! And they weigh a lot less than standard!

Yep the softer setting is the way forward for British B roads.

If anyone runs clubsport and fancies a tinker my current settings are:

Front rebound- 9 clicks
    Rear rebound- 12 clicks

Compression- 7 all round

Camber- -2

I've done 12 rebound all round and a few in between but settled wit this for now. Anyone else's experimental settings are welcome...

21. Fancy selling the stock wheels? :wink:

22. Already sold unfortunately mate

23. Did you manage to set the camber without cutting the strut tops?

24. I did yeah. Literally played the guessing game. I set the camber plates to the same both sides then adjusted one to match the other (as close as poss but still guessing) after having the alignment done. Bit of a faff as you have to drop the full suspension down again. If i were to do it again id just cut the strut tops with a dremel.

25. Cheers, I think the Dremel maybe coming out haha

26. If dropped suspension down after alignment then is bound to be out whack

27. You’re not changing any of the geometry mate as long as you don’t touch the camber plates. It may change slightly but not by any significant margin. I’ve noticed too after having been on a couple of different ‘hunter’ alignment machines, they throw out different number. Must be the machines caliberetion

28. The
    Theres a video on YouTube of a lad doing it mate. Think the page is called ‘performanceonly’. He does it with a drill a circular drill piece