Oyster Grey 250 Cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by scoobyr, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

Love it mate, can coat works really well on wheels too.

lined the locking wheel bolts on every wheel I hope

2. Cheers Jamie, make sure you post up some pics when done, looking forward to seeing the wheel colour :wink:

3. Cheers Ed

Damn! no I didn't :blush: Although in my defence, it's hard to tell the difference between the regular bolts and the locking ones with the TPi bolts :wink:

Actually, I was thinking of trying the Can Coat this winter as it's apparently one of the easier coatings to apply.

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Got some CC Platinum Wheels to try on them to see how it compares with G5 as well

5. Is that the carbon Collective stuff Jamie? Not heard a lot about their products, will check it out.

6. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

Same product as gtechniq also c5 is exactly the same as c1 just different sizes.

7. Mate, you are sick!
    In fact you remind me of myself before I got children and extra job..
    Carry on the good work!
    p.s. I have the identical (a bit dirtier) RS250.

8. lol, I have two kids mate (age 10 and 15), disappearing into my man cave is my therapy, keeps me sane! :rolleyes:

9. Cheers Ed, didn't realise that re C1 and C5

10. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

Goes for C4 too

11. 2 and 4...if I try to escape they follow.. :smiley:

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I did think this but have struggled to actually find anything 100%

13. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

They admitted it on detailing world jamie

14. So I finally got round to changing the headlight bulbs, something I've been meaning to do since I first got the 250.

Changing them was as much about improving the looks and getting rid of the very yellowish looking standard bulbs, as it was about improving the visibility at night, any improvement in performance would be a bonus.

I eventually went for Phillips Xtreme Vision + 130 H7 from Power Bulbs, two sets for dipped and main beam. Power Bulbs had an offer of 20% off, free delivery, plus a set of free Osram side light bulbs.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-130-h7-twin

[​IMG]

I fitted the bulbs, which was nice and easy, especially when compared to changing a bulb on a Mk 2 Megane :wink:

Great improvement, but the side lights looked terrible, even the new Osram ones received with my order, much too yellow compared to the new Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs.

First I ordered a set of LED's without really thinking about it, which was a mistake as they were too white and didn't look right, then spoke to Power Bulbs who recommended Phillips Whitevision W5W. I was originally put off these on the website as the bulbs themselves are actually blue in colour, I thought they were the silly blue things you see on some cars, but they are a pretty much perfect match for the Xtreme Vision bulbs

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-whitevision-w5w-twin

[​IMG]

Not the greatest pics in the world, but give an indication of how different the new bulbs look:

Before

[​IMG]

New bulbs

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

New bulbs

[​IMG]

Overall very pleased, wasn't expecting miracles but there is a small improvement in performance at night and they look so much better. They are not completely white but they do look a little whiter in real life than in the pics.

15. Can I ask a question. When changing the bulb can the whole headlight unit be taken off. It looks as though that's how it can be done.The 197 was a right pain. Meant to be bumper off but I have small hands so could change all the bulbs without taking it off.

16. I'm not if it's the same on the facelift that you have, but on the 250, you just remove the two bolts and pull up the rear metal bracket/emergency wrench and you can slide the headlight out the front...

17. That's how it appeared. 2 bolts at the top that undo, from a visual look. Will have a better look once I get my bulbs.

18. Yes, it's actually very easy, remove the two bolts, slide out the metal strip and just pull out the headlamp to access bulbs. This vid should give you a good idea :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVM401TKu-g

Lovely 275 Tiababy by the way :cool:

19. Thanks for that. Looks so much easier! Thanks although having read through this thread I now have massive love for oyster grey. What a colour.

20. Another little job I've been meaning to do, which I should have done when I replaced the other bulbs..... I replaced the horrible standard orange indicator bulbs, in both the headlamp and wing mirrors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the bulbs from Powerbulbs again, great service from them:

[​IMG]

standard orange bulb next to new bulb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done and looking much better, just a small thing, but it's all the little details :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also decided to give the exhaust a little tidy up, not that it was that dirty anyway, lol :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Shiny exhaust!

How have you found the bulbs to be in the real world, Are the any better than the OEM bulbs? Ive gotten used to the standard lights now and as much as i want to fit Xenons i can't justify that much money for them tbh. Uprated bulbs is the next step

22. The new bulbs do definitely make a small difference over the OEM bulbs, but to be honest mate, it's not a huge difference.... It's definitely noticeable but not exactly night and day....

Looks wise, the whiter light of the new bulbs is very noticeable over the standard yellow looking bulbs.

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Cheers Andy, I may pick up a set then.

Wheels are off getting Refurb'd today, Wont be able to get them sealed til next week though

24. No problem mate, look forward to seeing the wheels...... Gloss red? :wink:

25. How difficult was it to change the indicator bulbs in wing mirrors and headlights?

Something I've been meaning to do for ages, but just couldn't be arsed to deal with the hassle.

26. Really easy mate, see the YouTube vid a few posts back in this thread to see how to remove and change the bulbs in the headlight. Once the headlight is pulled out, just gently pull out the housing that the indicator bulb is in, the bulb itself then just needs to be gently pushed in to pop it out.

With the wing mirror, just use a flat end screw driver to gently ease the casing where the bulb is out, bulb itself is an easy swap. Handbook also shows you how as well.

27. That exhaust trim will be black after a single drive, bloody things worse than a diesel!

Still doesn't stop me keeping going no back and cleaning it every time too -_-

I have the same bulbs, but Yeh it's not a dramatic change but makes them a bit better.

28. Car looks absolutely great, the OCD is certainly working well!!!

29. I had to wet sand the black out of my exhaust! Took me an hour for each pipe!

30. Just read the whole thread, your attention to detail is staggering, I absolutely love that engine cover dip, i've just got my Car on Monday and ordered an L.E.D pack for the interior lights / number plate etc.

Might have to get some of those indicator bulbs, quick question.... does anyone know what the buld next to the indicator is for? Handbook tells me it's a DRL but that doesn't seem right and i've not seen them come on at all?

31. Cheers mate, appreciate the comments.

Those bulbs never come on, assuming something to do with the DRL's in the front blade being an option on the 250?

32. They DRL's for cars without led's in the blade.. take a look at the harness for your headlights, and you should see a small adapter for the LED's which also disconnects the bulb in the headlight..

33. Thanks mate :blush:

I basically rinse the engine, spray with Citrus power, leave to dwell, then agitate areas you can see with a brush and rinse off, that's it.

34. Great, thanks for the advice.. i take it its okay to hose the engine down then.

35. Should be fine, did mine with my pressure washer, no problem, although I did cover any exposed electrical parts, just to be on the safe side.

36. Hi mate, just realized it was you who I was parked next to at WSR today.

Your car looked great, but you're on another level of OCD that I can't hope to complete with :smile:

37. I know mate, I need help :rolleyes::blush:

Great to meet you and your good lady too, Trophy looking superb in Oyster.

38. Gorgeous car mate. Loving the ocd - you got it bad, and I know lol

39. OK, not updated their thread for a while…..

First up, had my MOT done, no problem, one advisory ‘light misting of oil on front shock’. I hadn’t noticed anything previously so didn’t think too much of it. Next morning I get the car out of the garage to be greeted by this!

[​IMG]

Obviously a problem there that I hadn’t noticed, so not sure if them poking around with it during the MOT finished it off, but safe to say the shock was well and truly buggered.

[​IMG]

Quick call to Renault Wolverhampton, mention of Ads and previous prices for those of us on the forums and a pair of shocks dispatched same day at discounted price.

[​IMG]

Car has done 43k now, so I decided to replace both front shocks rather than just the one side. Fitted by ex R-Sport man Andy Cochrane.

Seeing as I’m a bit obsessive about keeping my car clean, the paint is in very good shape but the gloss black part of the front bumper and the front blade had some stone chips, nothing horrendous but as you’d expect for a car of this age and mileage and enough to bother me.

So had them both painted by Auto Body Cosmetics. Front part of the bumper came of easily enough so was painted off the car, the blade I believe is a bumper off job to come out, so was painted on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeing as the wheels are also gloss black, I decided to have the mirror caps done class black at the same time.

Next up the exhaust, we all know that the Meg is a little quiet so had been thinking about changing it for a while. Having been out in a Trophy I love the sound of the Akrapovic, but it’s silly money and I couldn’t justify spending the best part of 2k on one.

After much deliberation I went for the K-Tec cat back but after fitting I found it a bit loud for my taste, maybe I’m an old bastard now but as much as i loved the pops and bangs I found it a bit too ‘deep and rumbly’ on idle and a little bit droney on the motorway. A good quality exhaust and fitted well, but just not for me.

So I swapped it for a safer bet, a Milltek cat back

[​IMG]

Got it for a very good price Amber performance, who were very helpful also had it delivered for free.

That moment when you are trying to be discreet with your car related purchases and the delivery driver leaves it with a neighbour, who then hands it straight to your Mrs as soon a she gets home from work….

IMG_2334_zpslb6gkcmc.jpg

Even though no one will ever see it and it will be covered in shit in no time, I polished it up nicely before fitting, I just can’t help myself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It still gives a bit more noise and plenty of pops and bangs, but a little bit quieter and less likely to make her indoors complain. It fitted perfectly too, exhausts were both expertly fitted and swapped by Andy Cochrane.

The K-Tec exhaust at least went to a good home, met up with torquenstein
    in a Starbucks car park on Saturday morning, quick latte and a chat all things Megane while handing over the exhaust :smile:

[​IMG]

Then wheels off and cleaned up ready for some winter protection, two coats of Gyeon Cancoat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So five years old now, but feeling as fresh and great as ever

[​IMG]