Overheating!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ghosty0101, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Every time I get stuck in traffic my car starts blowing hot air out of the vents, and today for the second time, the engine warning light and check emissions light came on. Is there anything I can do to stop this as the car seems to get very hot on a regular basis and I don't want to end up cooking the engine!

2. New rad, thermastat , or water pump

3. Thermastat will be your cheapest option to try and only takes 20 mins to swap , new rad is an hours job

4. The rad used to leak but has stopped! Will the stat turn the fan on, as I've never heard one on this car! Or am I being a noob and not realising they don't have one?

5. Do they have a fan? I hope so! :smiley:

6. I've heard something that resembled a £2 handheld fan once on a very hot day when I switched the engine off but that's about it! Every other car I've had has had a decent sounding thing!

7. Perhaps your cooling fan is not working then

8. I haven't tested it with the switches etc but it doesn't turn of it's own accord and it's got stones in the centre, I think it's time to strip it all down and see what the crack is!