265 Outer tie rod coming loose

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Nitro94, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Recently fitted new inner and outer tie rods to the nsf. I brought the parts from RPD so their definitely the right parts but ever since fitting the nut that holds the outer end to the knuckle keeps coming loose. I tried thread lock and tightening it up ridiculously tight and it came loose again. I then took it too my wheel alignment centre and got them to have a go on it with their impact driver before aligning it and it came loose again..
    I ended up taking it too a garage and they said that the end of the tie rod was bending the heat shield so drilled the hole out to make it fit. Obviously the replacement wasn’t quite identical.. Anyway all was fine for a few hundred miles then it came loose again so it’s really starting to wind me up. Used thread lock again and tightened it and so far it hasn’t come loose again. But I’ve only done about 200 miles since then so I’m expecting it to come loose again. The nut constantly coming loose has killed my new tie rod end so I’m going to have to replace it again soon. I want to get this before I kill another tie rod.
    I think the heat shield may have still been a little bent and it bending back into place may have caused it to come loose?

Anyways sorry for such a long post but has anyone had this problem before?
    Cheers

2. Do you have any picture of the part and nut you are tlaking about just to be clear.

3. When you replaced the tie rod, when you knocked it out of the knuckle it didn't leave the aluminium retainer on the old one

4. I have a picture of it before I replaced it. E6434C26-3D7B-4E8C-9C68-0AB0ACC0B5F4.jpeg

5. T
    Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know about any retainer.
    Would the aluminium retainer still be in the knuckle or was it attached to the old tie rod that I threw away?

6. one these end of each arm spacer.jpg

7. Looks like I’m missing my retainer. Thought they’d have been sold with the kit if they come out but never mind.
    Anyone know where I can get hold of one?
    Cheers for all the help