Sponsored By:  

Oulton today inc trophy R

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Steve1, Jan 27, 2015.

1. We had another great day at oulton park today, great bunch of guys and some serious machines there, their was also a new trophy R there as well , not a bad looking car same as the 265/250 not much difference really apart from stickers and seats, as for the new Ti exhaust system , well don't think much of that at all, doesn't sound good at all as there is no sound , we were all very disappointed standing on the pit wall, we just couldn't see the 41k he said he had paid for it, for me though I just can't see a big enough difference to that of a used 265 trophy for less than half the price especially if it's for track use, nice car though.

2. Shock horror r26r owners slating the cars newer better brother lol

3. LOL that told you :smiley:

4. I don't mean to slate it, it's a lovely car and it should be better it's 41k lol, it was no quicker than a pair of 5k R26s, anyway all I'm saying is WE just caouldnt see 41k

5. Yeah they did, just shows how much fun you can have for next to nothing lol

6. faster, perhaps, more fun, nah. plus the R won't be worth tuppence.

7. It is quicker though lol, a lot quicker
    when driven by professionals on a controlled circuit with official timing
    not you versus a bloke on a Trackday, ha

8. who's boasting, R won't depreciate either, the only people who get the hump about that are the ones unable to own one

9. as it happens, i would love to own the new R at some point in the future, lovely car and will probably retain a decent value. I'm not bothered about lap times , only enjoyment.

10. That's correct were on a track day not a timed day and were not professional drivers and today who ever it was being driven by it was slower than R26s, you can take much more risks in an older car than a 41k car, I know which one I would rather smack, lovely looking car though.

11. The trouble is that you're right.

But that's the problem you're never in reality going to be on a closed circuit so what does it matter if a 41k car is on paper faster?

12. It's faster in reality too, by a long way. My point was if the r26s are quicker on the Trackday then the driver in the trophy r isn't close to their standard.

13. By a long way? Define faster? In a straight line? Round the track? Are you telling me that if you plonked me Mr joe average in the new trophy r that I'll be faster than Steve in his r26r?

Because the the reality of it is no, I wouldnt be.

Im not disputing with you that the facts are that its a faster car, well specced etc etc etc.

But the reality of it is that the track day that you next encounter one on it could be the slowest car there or the one that doesn't get passed all day.

14. Surely this is the same for any car?? The 275 might be a faster car etc etc. but if you have a more experienced or better driver in one or the other than its not comparable??

15. Thats exactly my point nath. While on paper you can say one is faster in reality having a faster car doesn't translate to faster laps directly. It may but it also may not.

16. So with the same driver 275 is faster??

17. Yeah no doubt you'd be quicker in it than yourself in your own car but it's not your own shadow you chase on a track day

18. I don't understand what the argument is here.

New cars cost more than old cars
    New Meganes are faster than old Meganes
    Some drivers are faster than other drivers

Steve, I've got the Ti exhaust on my Trophy and to me it sounds nice - a lot better than the standard system I had on my R26. Are you saying that the Trophy R's exhaust was a disappointment compared to the Ti system on a R26r? It's a genuine question as I've never heard a R26r, or indeed my own car from the outside.

19. The best way for this is if the 26r had the same power/torque as the 275r and the same driver and let the loose on a track.
    Then is down to chassis/set up.
    But I would guesa the brakes are considerably better on the newer car, then you look at drag coefficient and stuff like that too which I'm sure the 275 is also better, so should be quicker in theory!
    It's like like comparing David Beckham now to David Beckham 10 years ago, I'm sure he's still class and better than most for his age, but that's the problem he's 10 years older!

20. Makes me laugh on here

facts are facts
    With the same driver
    The 275 trophy r is in a different league to the r26r, even a standard 265 laps the ring about 9 seconds faster than an r. Better chassis, more power. Times move on, people should

21. jeezus the thread is so so sad, my cars faster no my cars better no my cars faster, listen to yourselves lol, should be called www.kindergarden.com, why don't you all just enjoy your cars, they all have merits, and if you want to really sort ya dopey childish arguments out then organise it for a track day, preferably on ya own..........

22. Hey Jay I hope you have a fantastic time mate, trouble is amigo is not about what cars faster, on the track its a team effort, the car is only as good as the driver and the driver only as good as the car(setup etc), just enjoy the day matey and put up some pics for us to nosey at, good luck m8

23. As for the sound, they've made such a big thing of it, to match the big cost, I thought it would sound mega and was hoping it did like it does on the old slower R26.R, it didn't sound of anything though we all said how quiet it was, strange.

24. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Just because it didn't LOOK quicker to you, the driver might have been having more fun. Isn't that the point of track days? They aren't race cars :wink:

25. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Driven on 2 but been to as a spectator and passenger of quite a lot.

26. DaveSF1

DaveSF1 Banned

You going to the meganesport trackday will?

27. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

I'm quicker than Senna when in my car, so you're all wrong.

28. I'm on about the sound and the cost of the car, I just don't get the 41k price tag, there wasn't much difference between the price of an R26 and an R26.R which made the more special rare one more of a bargain , like I say it was a nice car but so is a 250/265/265 trophy, they all look the same and from the back there's no difference at all. Each to their own though someone's going to buy one I'm sure he will enjoy it, spoke to the owner seemed a really nice guy

29. the silver one at Oulton was smashed up, think the fella ran out of talent so i heard :rolleyes: still keeps the value of the ones left nice and high.

30. the black r26 with orange bits was much faster than the silver R at Oulton as well, 3 or 4 seconds a lap on my watch.

31. It's also down to what you can afford to loose!

i was on a track day with a person that had a 2 week old 911 turbo. 130k worth and he was hammering it round not one fuck given. Then there was people in the few grand clios that didn't push it as they couldn't afford to crash. If I crashed my r26 it's worth about 4k if that but has had near 10k spent on it it would piss me off but then I push hard on track days

32. I'm still laughing at the 41k price tag Martin, no wonder they only built 30,

33. I've got the Ti exhaust on my 275. It's quiet in my opinion. Just some fun pops and crackles. It's more about the weight saving than the noise. Standard < Akra < Ti Akra.

34. I'd probably look like I was crawling on a track day. I can afford to crash and write off on the road (thanks GAP), but not on track.

That said, I don't treat the road like a race track. Too many Corsa's holding us all up

35. nimbus was the colour, was in a bit of a state when i saw it at Oulton, was defy put into a tree, got the pictures somewhere.I doubt anyone is driving it as it was broken a sold on for spares.

36. DaveSF1

DaveSF1 Banned

The smashed one was number 27

37. A mate of mine was there yesterday in a BMW 328i. Did you come across him? He did not mention any "plastic fantastic" doing the rounds.

38. I took my son on a trackday who had not driven for 18 months since passing his test. By the end of the day he was passing stuff.

I also think a trackday is much safer than the roads. All travel in one direction with no junctions or roundabouts. No bikes, pedestrians, lorries, buses or police. 99% of people have the same interest and happy to accommodate slower or faster cars. The 1% are those with ego's so you just keep away from them.

39. There was a couple of older BMWs there both going well.

40. hows the TTRS ?