Sponsored By:  

Oulton Park 24th March

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by ianplymouth, Feb 26, 2020.

1. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

@conor1n
    Booked is if anyone else going

Mapping the day before at EFI

2. Possibly.

Got anglesey next week so will see how that goes before committing to anything else so soon!

3. ianplymouth

Okay, be good to meet up :laughing:

4. in work 24th but of 23rd. may pop down to efi for a chat

5. ianplymouth

Be good to meet up, im book in at 4pm

6. It'll depend on the weather tbh! Looking like a wet one next week so if it's dry on 24th I'll be there!

7. ianplymouth

Ha ha ha i'm going what ever, need to give the car a shake down after the mapping, got my asymmetric 5's fitted now so if it's wet i'm good :laughing::laughing::laughing:

8. I've got the supersports going on this Saturday ready for next week lol!

Started reading your 250 conversion thread, think it'll be easier to rebuild the 225 :neutral:

9. ianplymouth

If anything happens to the 265, i will be getting a mk2 again, a better track car (IMO :laughing::laughing:) There isn't much difference in the engines, it's a bit more time consuming getting the engine out of the mk3.

The reason i had so much problem with the 250 engine i think is because it was involved in a big accident, not sure what actually happened but i think it must have been bad :persevere:

eddie ninja likes this.
  10. Why’d you think Mk2 is a better track car? I’ve never driven one or been in one so would be interested in your opinion.

11. ianplymouth

I think the chassis is a lot more forgiving than the mk3, lift off oversteer is a lot lot easier to catch and have fun with, you can provoke it with a lot of certainty you can get it back if it goes to far, the mk3 is almost an on off switch there is a very small window to catch it and once it goes it's gone.

With the mk2 you know exactly what is going on with the suspension, grip, brakes etc, it's not the quietest car on the road, i do like that about the mk3, i feel the mk3 is a little bit like Audi, BMW Merc etc, feels like there so removed from what is actually going on.

And there is a better choice of wheels for the mk2, i had 8.5j with a good offset, can't get close for the mk3.

12. Interesting, fair enough.

ianplymouth likes this.
  13. come back to the mk2 - you know you want to!!!!!!

14. Also this is the wrong trackday. All about Cadwell on the 14th. ;-)

15. ianplymouth

I would, but iv'e sunk too much into the mk3 to change now :cry::cry:

eddie ninja likes this.
  16. ianplymouth

I'm up there for mapping so seems the thing to do while i am up that way :laughing::laughing:

17. what figures you after?

18. ianplymouth

not saying :dizzy:

19. Im at cadwell 14th march

eddie ninja likes this.
  20. Thread hijack!
    I’ll be in a blue mk2 meg. What will you be in?

21. Yellow mk3

eddie ninja likes this.
  22. ianplymouth

Someone i know is taking there newly modified GT86 there, he is picking it up from having a turbo kit fitted, so i need as many videos as you can going past him, don't worry hes a straight line merchant.

He drove my Megane at the ring and just drove down the middle of the track, then slowed and pulled over to let cars past, then into the middle again :rage:

eddie ninja likes this.
  23. :mask:

Be interesting to see the turbo gt86 though.

eddie ninja likes this.
  24. ianplymouth

Drivers pretty shit though, he'll talk the hind legs off of you if you ask about the car, he will also tell you that you have bought the wrong car :openmouth::openmouth:

25. Shame really, I bet it could be pretty capable in the right hands!

I'm pretty confident I'll make this as long as I don't have too many issues on Wednesday!

26. ianplymouth

Im sure it would be as you say in the right hands

Well i hope it all goes well for you mate

27. Other than the brake pedal hitting the floor, the car behaved impeccably today!

Looking good for oulton, would be great to meet up and see what's going with yours!

28. ianplymouth

Ha ha ha hat's when you know Adrenalin is brown :laughing::laughing::laughing:, had the peddle not do anything even with loads of pressure, so i ditched the PBS pads.

Still not got mine running properly yet, been waiting for a new crank sensor to be delivered.
    Hopefully it will let me take it out for a run

29. We were quite lucky, a pesky Porsche boxster let me by an I just touched the brakes on a minor bend, that's when I felt it go. The next corner was the 90deg at the end of the straight, 110mph+ :dizzy:

30. ianplymouth

was that into the hill ????

31. Yeah, it went on the long right hander before the big straight into the hill. So lucky because normally I'd just lift around that bend but was slightly off line so tapped the brakes!

Was zero warning too, just went lol.

32. ianplymouth

did it come back with a cool down ???

33. We stripped the brakes and found the dust seals were completely knackered and a piston had some corrosion behind/ around the seal.

We pulled what was left of the seals off, cleaned everything up and pumped some new fluid through, good as new when we'd finished.

eddie ninja likes this.
  34. ianplymouth

i have had that, seals were so crisp they just crumbled, i didn't have the sticking piston as i only replaced them less than a year ago

35. Ha. If you don’t hear me mention him after the 14th then you’ll know I was slower!

ianplymouth likes this.
  36. ianplymouth

And i will never speak to you again :laughing::laughing::laughing:

eddie ninja likes this.
  37. If they came with another 50-100bhp as standard I’d have one in a heartbeat.

38. ianplymouth

He's an asshole about it, he thinks its the best car you can buy for track use, before he had ever done a single trackday in it.

Its having the turbo fitted at the moment, its costing £5.5k :openmouth: then if he wants to forge it that's another £7k+ and then its had a set of wheels and tyres, as the standard ones are 165's , coil overs and then the purchase price :cry::cry::cry:

Think i would just go and buy a Porsche 911 :laughing::laughing::laughing:

39. Exactly!

40. I’m at Cadwell in the 14th with a friend in an integra. I’ll try and get the 86 but it’s my first day in the meg. Hope it’s a good day.

eddie ninja likes this.