225 Only 1st and 2nd gear after a year off the road

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Paul21, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Hi

My megane 225 has been off the road for a year sitting stationary and has not moved. Ive decided now to get it back on the road, the problem i have is it will only go into 1st and 2nd gear for some reason. There was no problem with it before. Just wondering if anybody knows what could be the problem?

Thanks

2. Is it a Ph1 225? and will the gearstick move across to other gears, is it stiff or not at all moving across?

3. Ph1 225. It is stiff, when I first tried to move the gear stick it wouldn't slot into any gear, managed to get it into 1st and 2nd after a while but won't go into anything else no matter what I do.

4. It's probably the nylon bush in the gear selector causing it.

It happened to my brother's when it was sat for a few months.

IMG_1764_zpsb378c6e7.jpg

Need to take the selector out and open out the white nylon bush inside.

IMG_1767_zpsa7526f3e.jpg

5. I'm assuming I have to take the battery tray out, and airbox to get to this?. Was it just a case of putting a new bush in and it was all sorted?.

6. Yes you do have to strip a few bits out to get to it.

We drilled the nylon bush out a little (can't remember if it was 8mm or 10mm bit) and greased inside.

You'll have to remove the selector from the box, which is fairly straight forward.

7. Ok awesome.

Will do that over the weekend, if that's the case and it is that, you will have saved me time and money.

Will let you know how it goes

Thanks

8. Thanks for that, very much appreciated

9. The 14mm on the side of the box can be fiddly to get to/find.

It's around here from memory if you reach under this area.

14mm.jpg

10. Awesome thankyou. Might ask you this question also while I'm here. The wheels that are on it are mk2 alloys. I need one replacing as it has been ground down abit from a blow out, was gonna see if it could be repaired but I'm not so it can be. I have found one for sale. The only think is the tyre on it is 225/40/18 mine is 235/40/18. Did they make them in 7.5" wide and 8" or can you put both tyres on the same width rim if you get where I'm coming from?

11. All come in one rim width mate.

Can put 225's or 235's on doesn't matter.

Obviously it'd need to be a matching profile on each axle, so not 225 one side and 235 the other haha.

12. So they all come in 8" then?. Im going to being having them all refurbished like I mentioned in my other post but doubt the one could be repaired, so just wanted to make sure before I went and brought it.

13. Would be matching profile on each.lol.

14. All 8j I'm sure

15. Cool thanks