275 Oil on top of engine?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by SilverSport, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I've just checked my oil level and noticed under the engine cover around where (I think) the spark plugs go there is some oil that looks to have seeped/leaked from somewhere. Almost a little pool of it.

Any thoughts as to what this could be or where it's coming from? I'll try and get some pictures in a moment.

Thanks (slightly worried)

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

could be coming from the rocker cover bolts, if it is its nothing to worry about

3. Cover bolts, most F4R's do it.

4. As above, needs resealing.

5. From the bolts or the seal on the dephaser solenoid valve, depending on where the pool of oil is.

6. Thanks all for the input, sorry for not getting back sooner, it's been mad. I've finally got some pictures to try and show where the oil is, hopefully this gives a better idea of where it might be coming from...

Attached Files:

7. As others have said, it's a common occurrence with these engines and is most likely coming from the cover bolts. The exact same thing happened with mine. Take them out one by one and use Loctite 243 Thread Locker around the entire circumference of the thread. Clean the area thoroughly and see if any oil reappears after a few days. Mine hasn't leaked since.

8. My 265 has been to the dealer a couple of times for this they just 'torqued them up' but this time are ordering some seals to replace as it is now coming out of one of the bolts for the coil packs.

9. My 275 was in with Renault on Monday for this, they removed and re sealed the rocker cover. Hopefully that's the end of it. Got a free belt change out of it anyway!