oil in air pipe

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by andypower, Feb 2, 2016.

1. I've taken the air filter pipe off today the one connecting the turbo to the air box to fit a silicone replacement but noticed the pipe has a lot of oil in it.

Is this normal. Isn't it bad that oil could get to the turbo,

Doesn't the vent system burn off any vapour?

IMAG0004.jpg

I started a thread last year saying this was leaking so it's coming from this pipe. Crankcase vent?

What should I be looking at to fix it. Or is it normal

Thanks

2. hence why folks fit a catch tank in that very line, any way, its not a lot of oil even though seems it, if you take your main turbo inlet rubber hose off should see couple of spoonfuls oil gathered in the rubber pleats at bottom of hose, just wash out with fuel or brake cleaner. It's mostly oil vapour that gets sucked into turbo and a very very fine layer of silt settles on blades but does no harm, i just wash off with computer isopropyl spray.

3. Cheers for the reply bobsan, yeah in the picture I've just posted there's only a bit but it's finding its way to the air pipe that's connected to the turbo. And if I'm honest it's more than I thought there should be.

Isnt it it how cars 'run away'. The turbo is fuelled by the oil and won't stop till the car siezes.

ill get more photos of the pipe I mean

4. Take whole inlet pipe off, can just about get one hand to turbo end clip from under pipe and other hand from above turbo to undo clip, it is faff but worth it to clean oil trapped in bottom of inlet pipe