Ohlins Road&Track - aftermarket

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Gardus, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Hi guys.
    As you may know, the Ohlins road&track coilovers kit of the Trophy R is not available as an aftermarket part.

Till now it wasn't possible to assembly the kit from spares, because the rear adjustments section wasn't available from the manufacturer.
    This has changed and in March it'll be available.
    I'm in contact with with Italian Ohlins dealer, and I plan to go to their headquarters for the development of the 1st aftermarket set.
    This means in the near future 250 and 265 owners will be able to buy and fit them!

I'll keep you posted on this.

TigerRonin and Nigelo like this.
  2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Considering what kits are out there for the Mk3 Megane already just now and the prices that Ohlins are going to charge, They won't sell many.

PahLok likes this.
  3. I disagree. I've tested many coilovers kit on many car and the Ohlins R&T are really impressive.
    More compliant on ruined tarmac than Bilsteins or KWs, and you feel the adjustments click much more.
    If they're going to charge the same as for other models it'll be € 2.600+vat.

4. So in £ that would work out £2300 inc VAT ? .. And the ohlins don't have adjustable top mounts on the 250 do they ?

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Thats a lot. Basic Nitrons are around 2000GBP and they include adjustable top mounts. Which is the important thing on Coilovers for the MK3 IMO.

FWIW i did buy a set of Intrax 1k2's of my Megane but have decided to return them and go for Nitrons. As they are cheaper and used in the UK so will make it much, much easier for me to get them serviced and re valved when i want.

You mention ruined tarmac, IE Roads? IMO if you are spending such money on a suspension kit you do so for track performance so give up some of that drivability that the soft OEM setup offers on the road, I know when i look at aftermarket and performance suspension kits my main focus is track so i don't mind the compromise on the road.

6. I use the car 95% on the road, 5% track. The R&T in road version should match my needs perfectly.
    That's the Trophy/R setup, and I read wonders on road testing, EVO etc..

They also offer them in track version, with stiffer springs and dampers rate.
    A bit like KW does with the Clubsport.

I asked about the camber plates, for that price I agree they should be included!

7. Preview.
    Camber plates are from the KW Clubsport.
    This is a track-spec version with helper springs and high rates.
    Ohlins-Megane-1.jpg

8. Look good!

9. Just a note on the Ohlins used on the Trophy-R - cost from Renault is £3,252 plus VAT ... for about 1 - 1.5s gain at Angelsea. Uses existing top mounts

10. Just a note on your note, the Ohlins at Anglesey (EVO test) were only worth 0.4 sec a lap.

11. Aye that's the Evo test, not the Ohlin/Renault testing session, which I believe was separate. Though it's probably somewhat of a moot point, as who's going to spend £4k on a £2k factory option!

12. The EVO test was sponsored by Ohlins and a level playing field. Even at £2K, expensive for 0.4 sec a lap on the Windy Welsh playground.

13. I can't believe it's been almost a year since I started this thread, but they are finally here.
    Fully adjustable Ohlins Road&Track
    Front and rear combined compression and rebound adjustments.
    Front dampers with height adjustment independent from pre-load.
    Upside down rear dampers with height adjustments through spring platforms.
    Dual Flow Valve for slow / quick impulses
    Spring rates 70 nm/mm front, 50 nm/mm rear (customizable)
    Compatible with stock front strut plates or Silver Project adjustable plates

They'll be made in small batches, on order.
    Price still to be defined, but probably around € 3.500.

Fitting pictures and more to come.
    Ohlins-Megane-3-250-02.jpg
    Ohlins-Megane-3-250-03.jpg
    Ohlins-Megane-3-250-04.jpg
    Ohlins-Megane-3-250-05.jpg
    Ohlins-Megane-3-250-01.jpg

14. Great post, very helpful. Would it be possible for you to measure the free length of the front and rear springs?

My Cup-S has factory fit Ohlins but I'm trying to pull together stiffer springs and adjustable rear platforms.

15. At the rear I don't see any problem fitting new stiffer springs with adjustable platforms. You can pick basically any spring rate.

At the front it will more difficult because your dampers don't have the upper platform where the smaller diameter springs attach.
    You can clearly see the difference:
    OEM-Ohlins-Megane-3-Trophy-01.jpg
    OEM-Ohlins-Megane-3-Trophy-02.jpg

You would need wider springs, like the ones fitted on the Bilstein B14:
    dsc09402_f.jpg
    Actually, Bilstein would be probably be able to supply new rear springs and adjutment platforms as well.
    I'm also a Bilstein dealer, so if you tell me what kind of spring rates you have in mind I can look it up.

16. Update on the specs:

Fully adjustable Ohlins Road&Track.
    - Front and rear combined compression and rebound adjustments, at the bottom, reachable from under the car without tools.
    - Front upside down dampers, 36mm pistons, 14mm struts, with height adjustment independent from pre-load.
    - Rear upside down dampers, 46mm pistons, 14mm struts, with height adjustments through spring platforms.
    - Dual Flow Valve for slow / quick impulses on both axles.
    - Spring rates 70 nm/mm front, 60 nm/mm rear (customizable if you want them stiffer).
    - Compatible with stock front strut plates or Silver Project adjustable plates.

17. The intention is to also fit adjustable top mounts allowing the fitment of the linear springs. I'm in contact with an Ohlins dealer in the midlands but failing that I'll let you know on the Bilstein components.

Edit, can you supply the Ohlins springs, top mounts and platforms? Surely they can be ordered via an Ohlins part number....?

18. Ok I talked with Ohlins, they'll come back shortly to me with the price for springs and platforms.

Sam@NP likes this.
  19. I'd want to get them coated properly, as they corrode worse than a rover parked in the sea.

20. GrumpyTwig which part corrodes in your experience?

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The body's on the Ohlins option are terrible for it I've seen several low milage ones and they look like they have been on for years and years.

GrumpyTwig likes this.
  22. I guess the OEM kits are different from the actual R&T kits. I've recently seen a set fitted to a friend of mine Mini Roadster JCW, been on the car for 3 years, and aside from a bit of dirt and superficial rust on bolts they were perfect. Cleaned up, adjustments worked fine... And he lives in Trento, close to the mountain, lots of salt on the roads!

Nigelo likes this.
  23. Any updates on the parts from ohlins or Bilstein?

24. bump

25. Sorry I completely forgot about it, so you stillw ant the rear spring perches + springs to adjust the height?

26. Sorry just reading this post. Is that well known fact about the factory option ohlins corroding?

Are there refurb options available for down the Line or us just replacements?

Remember getting my clio trophy ones done. Although that's was mechanical refurb. Cosmetically they still looked poor after refurb.

27. I'm not sure about the OEM Ohlins. The aftermarket ones I have are rust free after over 2 years without any issue on the threads or other parts that are usually prone to corrosione. Ohlins does say they are corrosion-proof!

28. Where can I order the Ohlins from? Is it full serviceable?

29. This has been developed in Italy so it's not available outside from other Ohlins dealers. Contact me for details.

30. Hi Gardus,

So can you confirm that the Ohlins come with a different rear spring over standard Cup? I.e shorter or stiffer ?

Also - any updated pricing on front and rear set with springs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. I need to know where you live for shipping costs etc.
    They are about € 3.500 + vat + shipping.
    Camber plates not included, I usually use Silver Project ones.

The Cup springs are 64 N/nm front, 53.6 N/mm rear.
    The Ohlins R&T are 80N/mm front and rear, the rear are coaxial so they work at an angle, they are quivalent to around
    70Nm/mm.
    They are pretty much spot on for sport use with some trackdays.

A track-biased kit is available, it costs a bit more.

RobbieR likes this.
  32. On the factory fitted Ohlins which are not height adjustable, can you supply the rear threaded adjusters for use with the oem springs? Or would it not work?

I’m after the factory set ohlins, so I have the soft ride but just a tad lower.

33. If you want a soft ride but lower at the back I would recommend to get BC Racing spring perches and 4kg/mm springs. If you want a stiffer back 7 kg/mm. Ohlins don't have an adjustable rear kit, the aftermarket have coilovers (integrated springs on the dampers).

Stelongy likes this.
  34. Can anyone tell me what diameter springs, are a direct fit on the lower spring platform, of the factory option Ohlin front dampers, 2.25", or 2.5".

TIA

35. Lowering the rear makes the toe worse though?

Which is already shit... so if you stray from Ohlins you need toe plates for rear right ?

36. Lowering the rear wont effect toe on a twist beam axle as there's no toe link to "pull" the wheels in/out as the suspension rises and falls.

37. Im trying to find a set of new ohlins for my cup-s because the stock setup is too bouncy. Are these still available?

38. They're available from R-Sport for £4700 Inc VAT

39. A little heads up, next week I have an appointment with Madeno Racing. As some of you may know, they developed their own ‘clubsport conversion’ for the Ohlins. The kit comes with:
    * Non adjustable topmounts with a build in offset to -2,1 camber and up to 8,6 caster.
    * They will revalve the front dampers
    * Stiffer, shorter linear racing springs front and rear (customisable) with helper spings on the front. It will lower the car about 15 to 20mm all around.

They also offered adjustable ride height platforms for the rear but I’ve decided to just use lower stiffer springs.

Off course the car will get a motorsport alignment after everything is build to the car so we will probably shim the rear beam for some extra camber there.

I’m really looking forward to all of it and how the car will react to the changes.

I’ll keep you guys posted on all of this.

RobbieR likes this.
  40. That’s an impressive upgrade there!

Things I would be curious about, do they sell just the fixed camber top plates for the Ohlins on own? And I assume would also fit the factory OEM cup shocks too if you didn’t have ohlins?

Is there a reason they don’t shim the rear with there package? I would think you’d want to get that rear tow closer to -1 or -2mm or so ?

Cheers and keep us informed mate!