Ohlins question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by steering, Jun 16, 2016.

1. I have recently read that ohlins set for megane includes composite allevard springs on the front.
    What about the rear springs? Are they the same with standard cup chassis?

2. That's what the official brochure says so I guess so.

3. Could anybody confirm that?

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Composite springs are only on the Trophy-R

5. What do you mean? If you spec a simple 275 trophy with ohlins, what front springs would it have?

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Normal springs......

7. thanks....

8. .....the formal RUK Megane Trophy / trophy - R Brochure does not refer to this distinction though...

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Believe what you want then, Trophy-R has Composite springs on it, The Non R's come with normal steel or what ever, springs.

Can pick up a set of Ohlins dampers for a grand , Set of them, Some of the RSC adjustable top mounts and springs and away you go, a decent setup for £1700 or so. Or just chuck some Eibachs or H&R's on them.

10. You were able to add the composite springs for the R, they were not standard equipment! And you were able to add them to the non R trophy also!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  11. Sorry, you are absolutely right. That is clear, I found photos in the web

My only question so far has to do with the rear springs. Are the same with my 250 cup's ?

12. Allevard composites on the front only.

The only performance advantage of the Allevards is weight.

You need to be seriously chasing lap times to spec Allevards for the circuit.

Ohlins + steel springs for the road were an expensive Renault option don't really add much over a Cup and only offer a very small gain on track.

As Jamie mentioned, if you really want a more focuses set-up, there are cheaper and more effective solutions. For the image and status seekers though, get spending.

13. I am not after lap times chasing , but I would appreciate better damping quality and feeling and I think ohlins could give me that
    I dont think there are better solutions, under 1.3K (I dont like car lowering or extremely hardcore trackfocus options, as my main use is (very) fast b roads driving)

14. It's a lot of dollar for what they offer over a stock Cup set-up for just road use. Small margins of improved damping.

15. Have you experienced both? I am really interested..

Mattyt likes this.
  16. Just a stock Cup, but EVO did a very good back to back comparison on road and track. From the stopwatch, the Ohlins track performance was disappointing.

17. I went from R26R, to R26,with BC Coil overs, and i find very little difference.

18. I have seen this. They talk about substantial differences in terms of damping quality.... I don't care about lap timings anyway

Have anybody else experienced both worlds?

19. It's a no brainer for you then.

20. I dont think it was disappointing. It was a 1.5 mile lap with a 0.4 sec gain (will be almost 1 sec in the longer circuits I usually track) and better damping quality and consistency lap after lap. I think with front composite springs there is still more room for handling improvement. Finally, playing with adjustable dumpers, tyre pressures, etc - for me - totally enhances the experience at the track.

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

That video was pretty much a Ohlins sponsored advert though, of course it was gonna be praised

22. Spot on...I started to watch the vid and once i spotted it being a sponsored feature, just gave up on it as although the cars looked great, the outcome was never going to be a surprise.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  23. It seems that because the vid is sponsored we take credit out of the Ohlins kit... Will test it myself with front composite springs (and camber plates) to develop my own review at the track.

RobbieR likes this.
  24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

No one is taking credit out them at all. They are a good setup but don't be fooled into thinking they are the best and quickest setup. Of course there were going to be shown in a positive light in that video.

RobbieR likes this.
  25. So... still trying to work this out...

Are the rear springs on a Trophy R Megane different than the ones on a Megane Cup rear springs?

Both steel? Both same height? Or one stiffer or shorter on Ohlins?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. I’m also going this route mate - so will be great to compare set ups.

I believe AST Camber tops with Ohlins is good for about -2ish camber, so the same as the new Trophy R actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk