OG 250 Cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by jamesbeaumont, May 13, 2020.

1. Ohhh sorry yes mine is a 265 so you could be right, mine dropped down to that sort of position and i also noticed that the fuel consumption was worse, changed the thermostat and i got 4-5mpg more :sunglasses:

manugtt, Aldo and jamesbeaumont like this.
  2. Yup, that’s right. The rev limiter can kick in early too as it thinks it’s on cold start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manugtt and Aldo like this.
  3. Sounds like a job worthwhile doing

jamesbeaumont likes this.
  4. Good! So, 89ºC thermostat=diesel consumptions, those are ous Megs guys!:tonguewink:
    Just joking, but yes, I think it worth.

5. Definitely worth it if you have the battery tray out

6. Following the recommendation from Manugtt I replaced the standard 10.9 grade gearbox mount bolt with a high tensile 12.9 grade piece.

b7b5888bea64d3cd5fa3771be5b6ce79.jpg

Easy to do, so another thing off the list. Seen below alongside the short shift and home made bracket.

37ed2846e527dcd384f6085c5f9b4dba.jpg

7. Looks tidy! Any reason you picked a cap head bolt over a hex?

8. It matches the ‘official’ bolt that Ktec sells (for 10x the price!). From looking around most of the 12.9 M10 bolts seemed to be the cap heads!

Aldo likes this.
  9. Good done James! Many people make a new bigger thread with a bigger and harder bolt, but I think a 12.9 bolt is enough. I hope I´m right!:grin:
    Seeing the picture, only make sure that the gear lever don´t hit the clutch link. We don`t want bad surprise on drive, and you know, the devil is in the details:wink:

10. I had read about the larger bolts but also that the alloy mount can crack so just went with what Ktec do. The 12.9 bolt is much stronger than the 10.9 so the mount itself will probably fail first!

Did you mean clutch line? It’s well out the way, just doesn’t look like it in the pic [emoji1305]

manugtt likes this.
  11. Easier to try a stronger M10 than going straight in and opening up to M12. What length is the original?

I'm doing the engine and gearbox oil this week on mine, might as well swap it whilst I'm there.

12. @Aldo

You want a 50mm with 1.5 pitch. It’s recommended using the washer that’s on the original bolt as it’s a good thick one but you’ll have to cut the bolt to get it off.

This is where I got my bolt:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360899160161

13. Tex

Tex

Just to confirm, its the M10x50mm from that link?

14. That’s the one mate!

15. Tex

Tex

Legend, thank you! Just picked up my first 250 and your thread has answered many of my first questions! Copying you with a new thermo and bolt on the way :smile:

16. No problem mate. Enjoy the car!

17. Tex

Tex

Thanks! You keeping the rear wiper?

18. I am yes. It gets plenty use - I live in the Scottish Highlands!

19. Great mate, thanks.

20. Tex

Tex

Whats special about the original washer? any pics? can an equivalent not be ordered?

21. You’ll see it in the pic I posted above of the old and new bolts. It’s a good few mm thick. I am sure you can get an equivalent but needs to be strong enough to support the new bolt - the bolt would sit down in the hole without it.

Hope that makes sense!

22. Tex

Tex

23. that's fair gap from original ball stud, shift must be nice and close if a little stiff

24. I went for a similar placement to the 4H-Tech shifter. The throw feels perfect. I’m still waiting on an airbox etc to arrive before I can get it out on the road and see how it feels.

085c7da1d498c32c180f9ccf75612033.jpg

Aldo likes this.
  25. Almost there now replacing the BOV and blanking plate with a stock recirc valve, stock airbox and BMC panel filter fitted, stock air pipe. Just waiting on a sound generator to arrive.

Also cleaned the engine bay, fitted anodised bolts and a freshly painted engine cover.

6bf821f41b41b49dd61ce4719d3a2795.jpg

26. Tex

Tex

The bolts look like a nice upgrade. Do you have a link to where you got them?

27. That is another thing that maybe will do...a cleaner engine bay. Good job there James, can eat on it!

28. 57c1019d1abc9cd4a2f6554f23aea6eb.jpg
    A tiny update but I had some spare yellow wrap and a bit of time so did the gear surround. Probably not to everyone’s taste but the less silver plastic for me the better!

29. hi new to forum have you a link for the bolt?

30. sorry saw link further down sorry lol

31. No worries. Worth doing!

32. I had a company do a gel overlay for the starter button. Worked out very nicely!

a005cf15f03adf55b84222e7bc99ef85.jpg
    e62a99474a79b577b798c11a9253b2dc.jpg

33. Jna

Jna

Mine is slightly to the right :confused: