250 Occasional creak from steering

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by GrumpyTwig, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Car seems to have started doing this over the last month, very occasionally when manoeuvring at low speed I get a brief creak from the steering as the wheel turns.
    It doesn't go on for as long as this but sounds pretty identical (not my video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6P9PpAwTMc

Any ideas?

I've had a bit of a nosey round and inspection while I've been servicing the brakes today but can't see anything around the hubs or steering that's loose, broken or any movement or play in the hubs/steering/rack at all.

/EDIT, found this thread http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=87097 so, swivel joint? Which parts that? :\

2. It was a creaking noise I was getting when my lower ball joints went,not quite like the video you posted but more high pitched. Manoeuvring at low speed was the only time I'd hear it.

If it is the ball joint I believe Renault will only allow you to order the full swivel hub assembly but I think the ball joints are available on eBay and through R Sport Wimbledon. I think a few on here have done the ball joint on its own so I'm sure they'll advise.

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

R-Sport wimbledon are no more AFAIK.

AS above though, Unfortunately it sounds like your lower swivels are on their way out.

4. Oli

Oli

Mine started creaking today when applying a reasonable amount of steering angle at low speeds. My 250 has never had its lower ball joints replaced and the car is now on just over 50k miles, so perhaps they are nearing the end of their life (seems most go before 50k). Other than this creaking noise I've not had any other signs/symptoms yet.

5. Meh.. ah well. I guess they're ok to drive on for now? Not going to need replacing immediately, as in it's not going to cause the steering to suddenly seize ?

6. My 250 had also started doing this recently. Sounds like something needs a good dolop of grease

7. In case someone comes across this, you guessed it... ball joint is buggered. Along with both track rod ends I'm told!

I'n surprised the car doesn't feel worse than it does, it's quite wayward on power :worried:. Getting sorted next week so it'll pass an MOT, just glad the local dealer we have is looking after me on prices/labour!

8. Out of interest, what's the rough cost on getting those replaced?

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Depends on how many are gone. I was around £400 IIRC to have all mine changed, that was including me getting the ball joints

10. Did your top mounts actually go or did you just replace them while you were at it?

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Top mounts?

Nah all 4 of my ball joints needed done

12. Just to mention, R-Sport have indeed closed their servicing department and moved out of their old unit, but they are still going but only supplying the motorsport parts now, they are still at every round of the Clio Cup with their support truck.

They always have ball joints as they are the same as used on the Clio Cup cars, I have his number, not sure he'd want me putting on the net, but I'm sure he would supply them. DM me if you need his number.