Nurburgring trip first time..great,but a few warnings.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by andrewjeffs, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Just come back from the nurburgring with a few guys that had all been before,and while its a great experience,it really is fraught with danger for the unwary.

First of all,make sure you have the best tyres you can afford.I had brand new ps2`s on the car,but found after 1 hot lap they had gone off!,same thing happened to a Porsche cayman S that came with us.
    So really track rubber is a must..a Clio turbo that was with us left me behind due to his Ad08R tyres,which showed no signs of wear with hard use.

Next up is brakes,i had a carbotech set up which was fine for me,but when driven by one of the lads that trailbrakes,they lost a lot of bite.

The track itself is very technical with lots of off cambers and blind corners..it would be so easy to go off without someone in the passenger seat that knows the circuit.

Talking off going off,people are literally doing this every 20 mins so be carefull as you have NO run off areas..you go off,you will almost certainly hit the barrier,which can leave you with a damaged car abroad.
    So make sure you have European breakdown cover..ADAC is the best,as they have a facility close by.

I was with a friend on a hot lap in his civic track car, when his engine let go..cost him 120 euros to be recovered from the circuit..but luckily had had ADAC cover..but even this was not straight forward as staff only spoke rough english,as well as them arguing his car was not worth recovering to england!..if its not worth a certain amount..they wont bring it back.

The roads round the ring are also very low grip.and many crash on them.

This is also very true of the ring itself..when it rains grip is non-existant!!
    It can be dry at one end of the circuit,but wet somewhere else..not nice to be arriving at 120mph to a wet corner..caught many out when we were there due to iffy weather.

The track itself really does run like clockwork though, with those efficient germans..you arrive,and can be on the circuit in a couple of minutes..amazing!
    We saw every type of car possible going round,some at incredible speed,and commitment.

The 700 mile trip to get there is no picnic as well!

If you are into cars you must go at least once in your lifetime..but i really got the feeling i survived it intact!

I did see 2 GB plated R25R`s going round at a decent pace..anyone on here?

2. It really is a great experience to drive there eh!
    Last year my mates surprised me on my bachelor party with a trip to the ring, when we arrived they rented a 265 trophy at RSR. I got 4 laps and the first one with instructor (british guy) which certainly helps getting some confidence on the circuit! First time i was nervous as f*ck concentrating on corners while getting overtaken by super cars with insane speed! Never been there with my own car but brakes and tyres are getting upgraded first before i even go there! It was the most awesome experience ever to drive there and i'm definitely going back soon as it's a hour and a half drive from my place

3. wish i was as close as you!Some of the locals go round at insane speeds..even my mates turbo civic was maxing out his gearing at 150mph!..a circuit for the brave alright

4. first lap ever was in my car with my expert mate driving..he was right up the ass of a mcclaren 12c all the way round!
    12c would dissapear down the straight only to be reeled in in the tight stuff..thing is my mate only has 12 laps..but has great natural driving ability at the utter limit..and lots of forza track knowledge!

5. It is the best driving experience anywhere and I strongly recommend everyone to give it a try.

Yes, you need to go there with a level head and assess the risks for yourself, but if you driving within your limits, build up slowly and keep to the quieter times of year (and day) then it is hard to beat.

Oh, and do not drop fluid or hit a barrier otherwise the trip becomes rather costly.

6. My first time last year was in my 172 with a boot load of luggage, a nervous wife in the passenger seat and Uniroyals all round.

Was positively shaking queuing up and rightly so, 3 bends in and a UK plated 350z oversteered whilst trying to stupidly overtake me on the apex of a corner and oh so nearly took my front end out.

As amazing as the driving experience is I find my favourite part of the ring is the atmosphere, just walking around the car park is better than any car show I've been too. It's an Eco system for pure petrol heads from the hotels to the restaurants!

7. Ha, the white EK9?

Bounced it off the limiter coming out of Brunchen, then bang oil cloud lol.

I was there in white .R, on 225 Goodyears....Tyres were a bit iffy, but acceptable. Brakes were perfect too. Cooked them on GP circuit on Prior Wednesday too. It's very easy to drive fast, went past M3's and GT3Rs', and an orange 182.

Missus did a lap too.

8. Oh Grip will be crap in rain at minute..... N 24 was only a week ago lol.

9. ha ha..we were with 2 ek9`s..one with a turbo and 370hp..the other was the one you saw blow up..and i was in the passenger seat!
    He was worrying all week about the engine,and his fears were justified!
    Why people bother with tuned hondas i dont know..they both drink oil and blow out black smoke..even on forged internals..both of these cars have have 3 engine rebulids costing thousands.

10. wet grip or lack of was truly frighting..almost zero.
    i ran my hand over brunchen corner and it felt like it had been waxed!

11. [​IMG]

12. Hey Andrew,
    Glad you had a good time. I'm on my 11th year going and I love the place. You make a lot of valid points, however I would argue that PS2's are more than up for it, you just need to watch your pressures. Any circuit is a bitch in the rain (ever walked a wet Silverstone?) but there is a wet line to the ring and again the PS2's should be up for it. Thanks for the report. Going back in Sept (8th time this year) but first in a while with the R26.
    Here's me out in the Towrag (I took some journalists round in April) 1 lap but reportedly I clocked it in 10 minutes 8 but I have stopped clocking laps years ago its not good for your health :wink: I dropped the pressures on the front of the Tow Rag to get a bit more grip on the front and had great fun wagging the back end :wink:
    10014373_10152347004653501_1098761262896128427_o.jpg

13. its an ace place :smile: love the atmosphere but all your points are oh so valid. Must take so much care, its just not worth taking any risk. Ill be there 19th / 20th July, might rent a car rather than take Meg out again. We shall see!

Attached Files:

14. Its just a forge motorsport one. Standard turbo, stage 2 map

15. Nice!

16. wasnt just me that lost grip with the ps2`s..my mate in his Porsche Cayman S with also brand new ps2`s had the same problems..his fronts even started rumbling 3/4`s of a lap round.
    mind you both mine and his cars had laps driven at times by a mate who knows the place well..got the Porsche round it low 8`s .
    Seems the ps2 does not like being taken over its limit for sustained amounts of time.
    Everyone else in our group on track tyres had no problems.

17. Well it just depends on how they are driven at the end of the day. Trust me when I tell you that a good tyre like a PS2 won't have much problems on the ring. Due to its length its actually quite easy on tyres. However if you drive it wrong or are on the wrong pressures to begin with....

As for times. Time has nothing to do with sympathy for your vehicle. You can drive quick and hard or quick and gentle. If his fronts were rumpling 3/4 way round I would assume (in a mid engine car) he is turning in too much whilst carrying too much speed. Remember the key to good cornering is slow in fast out. But then again I don't know how hot (or inflated) the tyres were. For example I will set the pressures to 25psi cold in the morning on the Megane to allow them to come up to optimum pressures on circuit. Especially when using a road tyre. The PS2 was originally developed for the Carrera GT. I'm pretty sure in most sizes its a capable tyre :wink: As I have said before - driver has a lot to do with it. Just my opinion nothing more.

18. I'll second that, my PS2's have been thumped round tracks endlessly and never gone 'off' so to speak. You will notice if the pressures are too high because the car will start to push towards the outside of the corner too soon, no turn in.

mu4e7ase.jpg

Standard ring pic, must of done around 50 laps in that 200 never missed a beat. Will get the megane on next year when I'm over.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  19. It's good fun yaaarrrrr

[​IMG]

20. Hahaha das ist gut ya!!

21. its must be a pressure problem then,as i certainly had the tyres at over 30psi,and i expect the Porsche would have been on standard road pressures.

22. yep this was my problem..good to hear from experienced ring guys like you and Red..i will pass this info on to my Porsche mate..maybe then next year he can get close to 8 mins!

23. It's all down to time and getting a feel for your own car. You might find that higher or lower pressures suit your driving style better or worse. It's just trial and error

24. I just got back this weekend. 3rd time this year! We do a lot of mountain biking there..

Renault World Series was the on the GP track so loads of RS cars flying about!

I always hire a car from R4R or RSR due to the total lack of 3rd party cover that you have if driving an English car round. Not worth the risk if you hit a biker etc in my eyes! Whereas a hire car will at least cover you..

I took the Megané - In full standard form other than braided hoses and decent RBF660 fluid for a lap in damp conditions.. Only my 25th lap or so round there, but was surprised in how well it coped.. I have a fair bit of race experience, so wasn't just cruising about! Will need better pads for the dry that's for sure!

Its nice to be able to fill up with the nice ARAL 102Ron fuel too..

25. My 250 loved 102RON. Popped and banged in normal mode all the way home.

26. did a couple laps yesterday morning, my 6th and 7th. Rained during the night so was damp. 9min dead BTG with passenger and spare wheel and high fuel and some other random excuses. Will post the vid on youtube tonight when home. Had a scare at the kink after Adenau bridge, 110/115mph rear broke away on the kink :smile: ESP safety net ftw!

27. how you find my shortshift on the track?

28. good. You have to be very positive with gear changes though, and heel and toe helps massively with the short throw and visa versa. But I'm used to that type of gear changing coming from a 205! Just personal preference but I would spec it a little longer not for the longer throw but just to make it less stiff, I'm sure this differs box to box but I didn't find any issue with my shifter mechanism when fitting. Overall a very positive mod for the car. Getting back in any other road car with megane 2 like standard gear change is HORRIBLE!

lap!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD-2QvVFu40

29. your shift should be no more stiff than normal,as all that has changed is the amount of travel your linkage moves.
    Your actuator might be getting tired..very common now,resulting in stiff changes.
    You might need to open out the bush on the actuator to stop the resistance,and make the shift easy again.

You should find a `how to` on here with a search.

30. the actuator is completely free. If it should be no more stiff then it would have been as stiff before which it wasn't. I just see it as simple physics, shorter lever requires more force. There is no problem with it, just personal preference.

31. Dan

Dan

I was on the DN day too :smiley:

32. What Matt Barrichello?

33. is that you incy,,your not allowed on here!

34. Yep, Clio Turbo uses Megane 225 injectors and head gasket so I have rights!!

35. Is it another bot?

36. What's a bot? Aj you make the place sound like a death trap... You just need to do as you are told like us pros!! Haha, aaaaaaafffff aaaan doooooot Flaaaaaattt tooooooot!! You are over analysing again, prick!

37. Not just a cs knob.

38. Incy we dont talk like 10 year olds on here,mods will ban you!
    You know as well as i do,any off is a expensive whack..you had your own share of hairy moments.

To think you can just drive flat out like a `pro` on your first visit is the reason youtube is full of nurburgring crash videos.