R26 Notchy Gear Change

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by simplyskate, Jan 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I’ve noticed on my R26 recently that when changing gear it’s quite notchy, there’s no grinding it just feels a bit stiff. When I depress the clutch to change gear, it feels very notchy when putting the car into gear, however if I then leave my foot on the clutch, I can carry on changing gears fluidly with no difficulty. Once I bring the clutch back up, and depress it again to change gear, that first shift is always notchy. It’s almost as if something gets pushed out of the way by that first gear change, after depressing the clutch.

It mainly happens with 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], but 5[SUP]th[/SUP], 6[SUP]th[/SUP], and reverse can also be affected.
    Also it happens if the engine is cold or warm, and when the engine is off I can change through the gears fluidly.

I’m not sure if this is something obvious, but if anyone has any ideas, that would be great!

Cheers,
    Jason.

2. Hi and welcome along Jason.

My first question would be when was the gearbox oil last changed? If the answer is don't know/never, I'd be getting that done then see how it feels.

Has this just come on suddenly?

3. Got mine changed, first time in (I assume) six years.
    It made a big difference but I don't think these cars ever have the smoothest change.

4. Daz

Daz

It's cold - mine feels like that in winter.

Warmer weather it's much nicer. I've changed my this year and last and it didn't do much.

5. As daz says I think it's the cold weather.. This happens to my r26 and after all the fluids are fully up to temp all goes well again

6. Mine is silky smooth now.

Was a bit rough before I changed the oil and made a quickshift.

7. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

I just thought this is what the gear changes was like in the Meganes.

8. Thanks for all the replies guys!

I took the car to Renault yesterday for a service and asked them to look at the gears. All they said was to try changing the gear cables, as that's what the manufacturer recommends to do first. I don't fancy shelling out £500 on a hunch, so changing the gearbox oil is definitely first on my list!

Does the fact that the gears change smoothly when the engine is off, give any indication as to where the problem lies?

9. Might just be sloppy gear changes

10. Wouldn't have anything to do with the clutch or flywheel would it? If it changes smoothly when not running

11. if you get in touch with andrewjeffs he may point you in the right direction. it might be the white bush that swells in the actuator. he recommends it sometimes needs honing out slightly. i have a notchy gear change and it doesn't centre after a drive. but im yet to do mine to see if it makes a difference.