Not Normal Dan's R26 F1

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by not normal dan, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Be may 6th mate, evening session at cadwell. Knocked blyton in April on the head as I really want to get wedding paid for as that's my mine priority for now which should be done and dusted June time!

Gonna book the RS day at oulton this week for August just so I get a place then I'll do a few in autumn.

2. So little parcel arrived today. The rear brakes had really seen better days when I bought the car especially the discs anyway.

[​IMG]

So after reading a few reviews online and speaking to some friends I bought the rear discs from MTEC performance sport brake discs.

These came with bearings and grooved and for 175 quid I got a set of discs, a set of brembo pads and the abs rings built in.

[​IMG]

So await my review on here for these but so far they seem a good quality product.

Now onto the other disc you see, basically when stripping the car last week during the mass overhaul I noticed the inner pad on the drivers side was a little more worn.

On closer inspection it appears to be a little sticky in the caliper so coupled with the heat it's clear to see that it's been sticking and worn the inner of the disc something terrible.

So reluctant to pay for OE discs due to the fact the DS1.11 pads seem very hard and that coupled with track days could turn out a tad expensive I hit the Internet. Anyway I ended up on ktec racing site (a site I rarely use now days as there usually expensive) and I found these on offer

[​IMG]

There grooved, claim to be H/C and up to uprated pads and track work so thought I'd give them ago.

As always ordered Friday here today, usual ktec service which has always been good

Roll on Wednesday:smiley: my day off and time to get cracking!

3. you sure those rears will fit? as I'm 99% sure they are 225 only

4. Yeah they actually emailed me after the purchase to ask me mate the exact model of the car due to the bearings being different in size

5. So today I thought I'd get me front discs changed over after a sticking pad had took its toll on the drivers disc.

Ended up buying them from ktec as they were on offer which made them the same price and brembo HC's

So popped round the old mans as I still keep all me tools there for now and cracked on.

[​IMG]

Old discs had seen better days, heavily lipped especially on the inside. Started off by removing the Mr Pink pins

[​IMG]

Then whipped the disc securing screws out and gave the disc a few swift twats with the hammer and volia it was off

[​IMG]

So out came the emery cloth to give the disc mating face a clean up to reduce risk of disc run out

[​IMG]

Also gave calipers a good clean and filed some off the pads to reduce risks of stick again. I know using pads again is a little naughty but there only 6 month old ds1.11's so I faced them up and I'll replace them by Cadwell.

Anyway new disc on

[​IMG]

And all back together

[​IMG]

As you can see the black coatings wearing off a treat.

I'll no doubt fit the rears tomorrow and give the old girl a clean

6. Then I turned up

7. And me mam and dads drive was littered with meganes, looked like evolution r26 to r26r lol

8. great work Dan. be interested to see how these discs fair on track amd how well the black coating lasts on the vents etc.

Dave

9. Yeah they claim there HC and up to the job but failing that I'll move onto brembo h/c's

I'd really like the PF setup after seeing Steve1's today whilst working on his r26r

10. Anyone out there wanting work done on their megane or any other car for that matter don't hesitate to send Dan a PM , great mechanic and a really great genuine bloke.
    thanks for today mate .
    steve

11. No worries Steve

Well thought have a break from the spanners today seeing as I'm on nights later.

So instead I decided to give it a little clean as its got rather dirty the past week with the road be laid and just the weather in general.

So gave it a quick clean and here's me steps

Autobrite snow foam
    Jet wash rinse

Autobrite purple velvet shampoo 2 bucket wash

Valet pro citrus tar and glue

Jet wash rinse

Meguiars clear vue on the glass

Megs tyre gel

Auto finnesse tripple

[​IMG]

Also if anyone remembers the issues I had with the down pipe (decat)?

Well if you scroll back up you'll see I had to modify it to fit at the turbo end.

Well Whybee got on it straight away and sent me a new modified downpipe, can't ask for better service

[​IMG]

12. Daz

Daz

Completely given up cleaning mine at the moment.

I've got a 6 month old little un' who refuses to let me go anywhere, and when is mum comes home it's bloody dark!

I work weekend nights so all I do then is sleep during the day.

A few weeks ago I threw a bucket over it and it was dirty again by the end of the road!

13. Blindfold him lol

I feel your pain though, I live on a fairly new estate so not all roads are laid and the route to work is rural so it doesn't stay clean for long

14. Looks tidy mate, we'll have to go for pics soon :smile:

15. yeah defo mate, be good to get a few of us once weather improves and go for a drive and pics

16. Would there be room for an R to tag along

17. Naturally :wink:

18. So might of mentioned a small issue I had of the tyres just catching coilovers on full lock.

Not much of an issue as I'm rarely on full lock but when modifying cars I like to retain as much of the features it had when standard and be as good to live with in the road as well as the track.

So jumped on eBay and went and ordered these 5mm spacers which should do the trick

[​IMG]

Awesome seller only ordered yesterday and here today and seem of good quality.

I'll fit these at the weekend along with a few other jobs I want to do which include

Raise rear ride height 10mm

Adjust exhaust where it passes over the axle

And fit rear brakes and bearings.

Also been speaking to Paul at RS regards mapping so hopefully get in with him beginning of March, injectors should be here tomorrow

19. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Link me to those spacers please Dan, need some for the front of mine and the ones I ordered haven't arrived.

20. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Cheers Dan.

21. 5 all round? Get some pics once fitted

22. Just fronts. Sorry

23. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

25mm on the back of mine!

24. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

They're the same spacers I've got :smile:

[​IMG]

I also need to raise my rear as it's settled a little lower than the front.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  25. I was thinking about getting some of these. Do you need longer bolts with these?

26. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Yes you'll need bolts which are 5mm longer :smile:

27. Tbh you should be ok with standards on a 5mm spacer, I'm gonna measure still but rule of thumb is 1 and a half times the diameter of nut into thread if you get me drift

28. You shouldn't have any problems with 5mm mine had them on ages ago and also ran them on my old R26 without problems

29. You ordered yours Steve? Matte black sun strip now :smile:

30. Well just rang Paul at RS tuning cars booked in for the 5th of March.

Can't wait!

31. So decided to take tomorrow off work and just sort a few little niggles on the car as I want it to be in its prime for its drive up to RS tuning!

Hopefully me sunstrip will turn up and I might even give it a clean too

32. I'll send you one of my business stickers for your sun strip lol

33. Sponsored by Rentlaw Roofing!

34. I'm after a matte black sun strip. Anyone know we're to pick one up from?

35. eBay mate, there's loads on there of various depths

36. Cheers mate. I normally use amazon cause PayPal screwed me over. Lol. I will ask my neighbour to order one from his ebay lol.

37. So had a few hours on the car today to change the brakes and carry out some other tweeks and adjustments.

So rear brakes were well past it, tbh the discs have been a bit naff since I had it.

Old brakes well past it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old pads out and caliper off

[​IMG]

Minutes later disc off

[​IMG]

New discs on

[​IMG]

Discs courtesy of MTEC brakes, although they got the pads wrong! So a trip to the local dealer to have my arsehole reemed!

[​IMG]

All done, repeated the other side :smile:

Then I tweaked the rear suspension height to give the car a bit more rake as it was a little low at the rear for my liking and seemed to push the front end! Also upped the stiffness of the rear dampers!

Then I adjusted the exhaust to stop it vibrating on the rear beam which has worked a treat.

Then I fitted the front spacers which had solved the issue of the tyres catching coilovers on full lock!

[​IMG]

Then I got home and thought i chuck some water over it! Looks pretty good for saying it only took an hour!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the matte black sunstrip turned up so I'll hopefully stick that on tomorrow, for now I'm gonna water myself with some vodka :wink:

38. Looking good, Dan. :smile:

39. Looking good that. I'm in Ned if new rear discs in the next few months.