Not Normal Dan's R26 F1

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by not normal dan, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Not the best picture but you can just see it Dan BF79DBE6-42D0-4565-B7B4-D4371B97D4C5.png

2. Yes use the M3 sticky pads mate if you get it just right you won't be able to see from the drivers seat

3. Sweet, I'll do that then. Is the gopro mounted upside down there then?

4. Correct Dan but go in settings and spin the picture, dead easy mate , believe it or not even ftom there it still shows the dash board up

5. Sweet just done a quick search and it showed me how to do it, do you use the flat sticky pad as a guess?

6. Yes the flat pad

7. Sweet just ordered some more

8. Thank you for your help. I definitely need stiffer springs than what I have on right now. I am just surprised that KW originally puts springs that are too soft on their KW V3 coilover set.

9. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Only in the rear, I've been looking to get stiffer rear springs from them the back ones are a little too soft.

10. 450 lbs all round is perfect

11. Well that's cadwell park booked for the 6th of May, only booked an evening session as I'm working the day before and for 69 quid you can't go wrong

12. So today a few bits turned up, about there now ready for my week off at the end of the month so I can get stuck in with the work.

New drop links and anti twist links, genuine TRW (used by Renault) but at a much cheaper price off mister auto

[​IMG]

Just the wishbones to get now which I'll get off Ads before end of the month

13. So Saturday is the day of reckoning, it finally goes under the knife!

Going to fitting

Scorpion RS240 exhaust with decat.
    BC coilovers
    R26r clutch
    SMF lightened flywheel
    slave cylinder
    And all new tie links!

I think the missus will be happy as this is the state of the house, after me rummaging through parts earlier when I got up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also ordered a new airtec intercooler and injectors and hopefully go for mapping at RS tuning early March.

After that apart from a few track days and basic maintenance it'll be staying as it is as I decided after 4 years the time was right to pop the question and ask the missus to marry me!

[​IMG]

So wedding booked for July 2016 I'll be living at work to save the money ASAP!

14. Congratulations mate!!

15. Cheers mate

16. Well done , she don't look too shabby

17. Cheers mate, she's a good girl doesn't complain about my constant addiction to motors and various other fads lol.

Suppose she's easy on the eye too haha

[​IMG]

18. Aye, she's a looker for sure

19. Meh :wink:

Go for mapping together chap?

Not going for an itg?

20. I've got the ktec setup mate already, makes a nice noise ha

Mapping will be in February's pay packet now as I've had to start banging some a side for the wedding!

Sooner it's paid sooner I can resume normal service lol

21. So that's it, it's loaded off down the workshop tonight to get cracking. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon she'll be all good :smile:

[​IMG]

22. Well made a start, got a few bits off and that and wd40'd some stuff so it should come off with ease

[​IMG]

23. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

No messing, top lad.

24. Yeah big day tomorrow, bumpers off wheels are off for now so I can hit it in the morning.

Not 100% sure if the crankseal is leaking so reserved one at Euro for the morning and missus is off to fetch it

25. I'm feeling your pain dan. I've had a full week on mine trying to get things right.
    Lee

26. Well what a mare we had yesterday.

The car came to pieces a treat and it was safe to say the dual mass flywheel was well and truly fucked! Not even covered 50k since it was fitted by Renault under warranty and worse still two of the bolts were finger tight! Nice one Renault! Also found the rear main seal to be leaking so popped a new one in too for good measure.

So once the box was in decided before anything more goes in I'd get the cat off and fit the down pipe, was a little fidderly coming off as couldn't get much leverage on the bottom bolt with the obstruction spanner but a little bit of ingenuity sorted that :wink:

So came to fit the scorpion rs240 down pipe and it didn't mate up to the turbo due to the amount of weld on the inside of the flange!

Reworked Flange

[​IMG]

Rewelded from the rear for sealing and added strength

[​IMG]

Must add how our weld is a little neater :wink:

So we machined it down and re welded from the rear for strength and it fits a treat, although I did contact mark from Whybee last night who got back to me straight away and said they knew there was a problem and have since reworked it and is sending me the new pipe but just couldn't get in touch as he had no contact details, great customer service.

Anyway once this was sorted we thought we had better makesure we can get a clutch pedal and bleed the slave.

So I connected it up and let it gravity bleed at first then some pumping of the pedal and we seemed to have a nice pedal that was actually a tad heavier then before, no doubt due to the r26r pedal but the cylinder was still dripping when it was supposed to be sealed, turns out I must of nicked the o ring when clipping it together so had to pinch one of the old ones.

Here's a few pics of the job in hand, sorry for lack of pics but you know how it is when you get going.

Box out

[​IMG]

Me mate who was giving me a chick posing for the camera, he's a Virgin to the megane haha

[​IMG]

Bits on the floor

[​IMG]

How it stands

[​IMG]

After this we decided to call it a day as after mucking around with a few landrover it was getting late so this is how it stands

[​IMG]

All the new bits have been swapped over onto rear crossmember and the it basically needs throwing up, shafts in, coils on and setting roughly and ecu and battery back in.

Expect more updates tomorrow as I've got "wedding" appointments today.

If it wasn't for the pesky problems with the downpipe it would have been singing and dancing by the end of the day but it really slowed the job up!

Safe to say I reckon I could knock out me next megane clutch out in 4 hours easily as I didn't find it too bad a job

27. Great work Dan, there's always hidden problems.

28. Yeah easily resolved just very time consuming when comes to altering and trial fitting then removing and doing it all again haha.

Added bonus the hub bearings are free and smooth, must say I actually quite like the megane to work on, I worked on plenty and stratstone but no sports

29. Oh how I wish I had access to a ramp. Exhaust looks great though.

30. Yeah it does make things much easier tbh mate, the rest of the exhaust system will be a walk in the park on the ramp

31. I've given up doing stuff on the floor now. I just take it to a man to do. (Fred and recently Mr black) I get frustrated and end up breaking things - usually special order items from France :-/

Car looks great though in general. Fancy fitting me a decat ;-)

32. CG_zps4438ab6d.jpg Small world, been using CG for some time now, know Chris and Jayne very well and of course Pete who's done work on my Gt3 (yellow).
    am running a 265RS also, but still under warranty so not too many mods to date, say hi to the guys next time you're there.

33. I still do bits and bobs on the floor, in the summer I find it quite relaxing to tinker in the sun with a few beers but when I have access to a workshop in this weather I'd be daft not too.

Yeah Chris is sound, I'm very good friends with Pete have been for years, he comes to me track days with his intercomp tyre gear to help me monitor temps.

I've done bits and bobs for Pete up there clutch and flywheels on his bmw and his old mans vectra and Chris is always very welcoming and very passionate as were share similar interests I could chat for hours

Done a few hours tonight, no pics but I'll grab some tomorrow as I should be all finished.

Fitted the subframes inc steering rack, front coilovers, battery, ecu, air intake and all the driveshafts and relative bits. All brakes are fitted up too and all new links.

Tomorrow I've just got to fit rear exhaust and coils, new airtec cooler, bumper and arch liners and set ride height then it's the turn key moment haha

34. Well sorry for lack of pictures but it's been rather busy past few days with a few wedding plans and the car.

So it's finally back together, biggest issue that slowed the job up was just how poor the exhaust fitted but it's at a point where I'm happy now and just the odd tweak once it's all settled.

So for an few pictures I did take

First off the new airtec intercooler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty straight forward to fit and it's brought the intake temps down lovely especially after extended hard driving :wink:

Then all I had to do was fit the rear coilovers, again can't fault the BC's for there quality and fitment was bang on

[​IMG]

And the pic of it sat on all fours

3A2AD67F-9076-4500-BC75-C0955B78B96E_zpsljvgpzon.jpg

I think I'm going to raise the rear ever so slightly just to give it a little more nose down stance and a bit more take.

So a summary of the past few days.

R26r clutch fitter

Solid mass lighted flywheel fitted

New OE slave cylinder fitted

New lower arms and all links replaced

BC coilovers fitted

Scorpion rs240 3 inch turbo back with decat fitted

So how has it transformed the car?

The clutch has more of a heavy feel and a bit more snatchy but I actually like that in a clutch as it feels a lot more positive

The bc's feel great on the road on there softest setting, little more firm but not as crashy as standard r26 suspension

And now for the exhaust, well it sounds good, that typical whoosh you seem to get. I also like the way it delivers boost now, little more aggressive lower down and feels like it has more go in it and can't wait to get the it mapped and bigger injectors at the end of the month

35. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

You need 25mm rear spacers now mate!

36. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Proper job.

It's like my cars twin now :smile:

37. Daz

Daz

Looking good!

I'd raise it up at the front a tad aswell if it was mine

38. So just been had it geo'd after its all been to pieces at the weekend and now it's got it's new suspension on.

Used Aline in the end as me mate Pete couldn't feet me in anytime soon due to it coming up to race car season and personal commitments.

Anyway couldn't recommend these guys enough, they seem to be very popular in the drift scene and set up the drift works cars and come highly recommended

http://www.alineyourcar.co.uk

[​IMG]

Anyway we had a chat about the setup and what I'd want from it considering it's still a daily for now as well as a track day car.

In the end we went for standard setup but set the front camber to the maximum tolerance so I'd benefit on track but not kill tyres on the road.

[​IMG]

Anyway he even commented on hour square the rear end was for a Renault haha

Feels better already but with the weather I haven't had chance to push on due to conditions

39. So whilst at work me finger may have slipped on the "buy it now" button!

[​IMG]

So gonna contact RS tuning this week about mapping options

40. Final pieces of the puzzle coming together... When's your first trackday again?