Not Normal Dan's R26 F1

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by not normal dan, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Why not get a spare pair of front wheels then you can save your good tyres for track.
    If you look on the other forum people mention kumho v70's , michelin sport cups and dunlop dz03g which from my experience are all top tyres.

2. Yeah I'll be buying a set of pro race 1.2's but weather dependant I won't bother swapping wheels around to travel from track and things like that

3. Totally agree with this, you would do better with a set of PSS or better still set of direzza they will out last the 888s and grip better

4. Not getting into another tyre debate with people who know better but have never been on a track, but buy a set of NS2Rs and say their the best tyre in the world but have only been to the shop with them , like freddy says you get what you pay for

5. Tbh the person that said the ns2r's weren't bad for the money drifts for driftworks and just won the pro BDC.

I understand you get what you pay for and I'm more then welcome to listen to advice from more experienced track dayers but on the forums you only really hear folk talk about the federal rsr's, kuhmo v70, r888, ns2r and the ao48 is it?

6. Your more than welcome to have a blast in mine mate with the direzza on

7. That would be good mate, more for a comparison.

Where do you buy you direzza's from?

8. Mr tyre Motorsport although be got a good contact for nearly new R888s , around £400 for a set of 4

9. I didnt rate the r888s when I had them on the clio. Went off very quick.

10. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Try a CG Lock first, had one in my Clio Trophy and it was sublime.

11. Well over the past few days I've missed a few parts deliveries but hopefully be here Monday but here's one piece to the puzzle.

R26r clutch kit thanks to Ad at Renault Wolverhampton

[​IMG]

Love car parts deliveries, like Christmas all over haha

12. Getting there now mate :smile: when you fitting the exhaust?

I've hit a wall, corroded fuel pipe, so I'm stranded :worried:

13. I'm gonna do it all in one go mate, ordering me BC coilovers later this month, fresh wishbones and all the links and I'll have a couple of days at it then intercooler, injectors and map :smile:

14. Finally I was in for the 3rd and final attempt of the ups delivery of this bad boy

[​IMG]

15. Well she got a much needed clean today, only wounder is the dust from my DS1.11 pads doesn't seem to want to shift off the front wheels!

Anyone got any suggestions?

[​IMG]

16. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Tardis and Iron Out would be the best bet, then seal them with something decent.

17. As Greggles said. G101, tardis then iron out.

18. Wheels in black you won't see it then

19. Tried valet pro iron out and didn't touch it!

Yeah I plan to have me track wheels done in Matt black

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ok then.

I have used pretty much every dedicated track tyre on the Market bar the new PSC2's and have ran the NS-2R's, They are a good track/road tyre for the money, Compromise between all out grip but there always is with those sort of "do all" performance tyres.

21. So due to me not being able to leave nothing alone today whilst I was at work I thought I'd whip the breather pipe off between the top of the rocker cover and top of the inlet manifold (one with brown and black valve in).

Basically when it was running I could hear a whistling noise (kind of like an air leak) coming from the valve at idle.

So I thought I'd whip it off and pressurise it on the bench at work. Unfortunately whilst removing I broke the brittle solid pipe that goes between.

So I spent this morning looking around work for some pipe I could use to limp me home and after much swearing I came up with this

[​IMG]

It's heat shrunk on and zip tied at both ends but it's only got to do 6 miles

Ordered a new one off ads for 28 quid, but to add insult the one way valve was perfectly operational and that noise it generates was just air passing through!

22. Well another day another delivery, this time in the shape of a valeo slave cylinder to go with that new clutch and flywheel.

[​IMG]

Now just for the flywheel bolts that's should be here tomorrow and that breather pipe so I can get back to boosting and less tickling

23. Well yesterday I got a few more deliveries, most importantly the said breather pipe so I could finally not worry about my dessert fix.

Ordered all these through ads at Wolverhampton Renault can not big this guy up enough for his enthusiasm and customer service.

First off I removed the said 'bodge' pipe from the car

[​IMG]

Saved it just incase I ever need it in the future as I know the one way valve is perfectly operational

[​IMG]

The new pipe

[​IMG]

Took all of a couple of minutes to change and no tools required. Was much more flexible then the original that had clearly gone brittle over time due to all the heat exposure

[​IMG]

So I can now boost in peace, although recent weather conditions do not help with traction

Then a little later the Royal Mail decided to shove these through me letter box with a great amount of noise.

[​IMG]

The missing link to the flywheel conversion, brand new set of flywheel bolts. Always replace these when changing a flywheel as last you want is it exiting the engine at 8000rpm

24. Christmas came early :wink:

[​IMG]

25. Me too [​IMG]

26. Nice :smiley:

27. Bling!

Gonna be awesome once all your mods are fitted, Dan!

28. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Going to be a busy few days fitting all that Dan!

29. Hopefully lol, if not you'll see me swinging from the nearest tree

Yeah I reckon couple of days in the workshop to make a nice job of it, job for the new year now :wink:

30. Mr black will be fitting my AST kit

31. I'm a trained mechanic, worked for volvo before I went into rail and I have access to workshop and still have all me tooling so I always do all me own stuff.

Then me and me pal will be setting the geo and corner weighting the car down at cornering force

32. Hi, I have a question for you.
    Do you know whats the spring rate on your springs and helper springs? I have a kw v3 but springs seem to be to soft for daily/track day driving. They are 40-50 kg.
    Thank you very much

33. The BC' I have run a 7kg front and 4kg rear, it's there fast road package and the track package runs 7kg front and rear, although you can get pretty much any springs you want from BC.

The ones I have work out to around 392lb at the front and 224lb at the rear, to get this figure you multiply you kg rating by 56.

Looking at what you've stated I assume it's more like 4-5kg as a 40-50kg would be way to hard if you can even get a spring that stiff for a car application

So based on 4 to 5kg they'll be somewhere between 224lb and 280lb

34. ASTs are 450lbsall round not too hard at all for road when on full soft

35. your spring rates seem softer than a standard spring rate to me, they seem very low for a coilover kit , the Asts are perfect for both soft for the road then when their wound up even half way their hard enough for track

36. Exactly what I thought which is very surprising for a kw coilover kit especially the v3 as it more track day focused

37. So as we all know Santa came (or a 5ft something brunette known as my missus) and he bought me this.

[​IMG]

Had a quick play earlier and stuck one of the adhesive mounts above the clock display.

Still a little stuffed as what mounts to use on trackdays as I know javelin don't like the auction mounts

38. Sticky pad one on the windscreen just behind the rear view mirror so you can't see it yourself, works a treat

39. So just below the rear view? Use the 3m pads?

This is where it currently is if you can see me sticking it

[​IMG]

40. To be honest dan I tried it there mate but the quality of the sound is so good it picks up the creaks of the plastic