Noisy start on my 265?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jollinz, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Hi peeps,

ok so I purchased my first RS 265 2012 with 56k on clock about 6 weeks ago from a dealer..

All seemed fine.. but about 3 weeks or so ago when I started up the engine after a couple of hours from last using the car..it gave me a horrible sound back, like a Diesel engine... only a bloody awful sounding Diesel engine lol.. then.. after a few secs, it got quiter and quieter and then disappeared.. and engine sounds and performs normally.

Then 2 days ago it did it again.. not for so long this time, may a second or two.. any ideas on what could be the issue? If there is one?

Cheers

Jollinz

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Tapping?

3. Yea, a lot of it tho, just like a Diesel engine lol

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Possibly tappets

5. But that would be all the time wouldn't it? This happens for 3 secs, with weeks inbetween occurrences.. sounded like there was no oil in the thing.. maybe oil pump failing or something? I'm just guessing here lol

6. Don't the Mk3 have VVT if so could the problem be due to the dephaser requiring replacement?

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not always. Mine occasionally has noisy tappets if it's sat but it does it randomly

8. Mine use to do this, assumed it was dephaser solenoid not holding the oil at the dephaser pulley, changed the solenoid. Did it once soon after then never again.

Jollinz likes this.
  9. Yea it does have VVT... I read somewhere else about the dephaser could be an issue but I have no clue lol. I know these engines start a lil noisy then quieten out..which mine is as the rest of them.. just once in a blue moon, it starts and sounds like it's running dry or something.. I'm surprised the whole street didn't notice when it first happened

10. There always a little rough on start, but no rattle. Mine rattled after being left a hour or two when the engine is probably still warmish. But it has rattle since the solenoid was changed.

11. It has rattled since or was there a typo and was meant to say hasn't?

12. It hasnt rattle since i changed the solenoid.

Jollinz likes this.
  13. Cool, thanks for the info.. it's prob going to be that then lol.. is it an expensive job?

14. The solenoid arounds £100, and is next the coilpack closest the cambelt area and uses the same bolt as the coilpack uses, just removed the bolt and pull it out. It may also benefit changing the seal aswel, which doesnt cost much.

Jollinz likes this.
  15. Cheers mate, appreciated, yea funnily enough, the solenoid seal is about to be changed anyway as it's got a small oil leak around the top of the head and the dealer I got it from agreed to pay for it to be repaired at my local garage and that seems to be the issue..although they won't replace my brake pads... and that's normal.. except the only reason I want them changing is cuz from day 1 they have been moving back and forth in the carriers, making a clonking sound when I brake, that's never a good thing, it passed mot without any advisories, but the garage that done the mot is attached to the business I got this car from haha, it's right next door..so was prob overlooked as such .. Oh well, it would be hard to prove a failing solenoid as i wouldn't be able to replicate the issue when needed.. so I'm gonna have to pay for that one lol.. thanks again :smile:

16. That sound on a none turbo F4R is usually diagnosed as the dephaser pulley itself. This is usually caused by a lack of oil.

If that's the case you may have to replace the pulley & timing belt kit. Quite often the pulley is changed at belt time 'just in case'. This may not be the case on the F4RT's however.

Jollinz likes this.
  17. Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this? My 250 has also done this for years, occasional cold start rattle which goes away after a couple seconds as if oil hasn’t got to the head/valve lifters in time

18. my mates car had this before, exact same symptoms, changed dephaser pulley and issue solved.

mine does it every once in a while but I'll just wait for the next belt change which is due next year

19. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

mine does the same with new depahser , new hydraulic tappets and lifters all oem parts.
    the hydraulic tappets will partially bleed. I assume this will be further increased with the use of PAC valve springs , etc.
    (also that frequency may be detedect as knock by the ECU and will be registered in the counter.)