265 Noisy shift mechanism

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by juld0zer, May 25, 2015.

1. Hey guys, first post on this forum :smile:

First time Renault owner too!
    Is it just me or do these cars have loud shift mechanisms? It is by far the loudest FWD shifter i've ever driven.

If i boot it and quickly shift up, the gearstick feels like it's momentarily snagged on something and it makes a loud clank. I don't think it's my shifting because i've driven manuals all my life..

And secondly, is it normal to hear (and feel) a clunk each time i accelerate or let go of the gas pedal? Dealer tells me it's characteristic of the diff but not even my modded 370z had this sort of clunking from the diff

Cheers!

2. I know what you mean, although my experience is not exactly the same there is a noise to be heard, certainly when changing gear (almost a clunking, slight grinding noise, seemingly from gearbox and clutch)and as you say when I take my foot off the gas there's a small clunk, also occasionally when selecting 1st gear as well. I've heard this is not uncommon but it is of concern as never had it on any other car. Fingers crossed!!!!!

3. Not sure on the clunk you mention, but the shift is loud. I can clearly hear the mechanism at low speed with the window open.

I've never thought it was anything to worry about to be honest.

4. MBC

MBC

They do tend to snatch first out under load. Mine doesn't clunk though?

5. Depends depends depends, they do make some clunks and nocks on gear changes. Some of can be the DMF if it's been under tension and some of it is the box is just a bit clunky and unrefined as well as the diff whines a bit. I find 2nd gear particularly bad for it if you try to rush it from cold.

All depends how loud these noises are as to if they're normal or not as well.

6. I took out the battery box yesterday to have a look at the linkage mechanism (what a pain! cable ties in absurd places...)

Cables are fine, ball joints silky and secure. However, the vertical selector shaft (fore/aft movement) with the weight on it has a lot of vertical play. I didnt have anything to measure it but it was at least 5mm. Has anyone tinkered around with these PK4 transaxles to comment whether this play is normal?

The positive news i have for you all is that i wedged a thick stiff piece of foam under the clutch line bracket to hold the shaft down and limit its vertical play. Shifter feels normal and i fanged it around the back streets.... the snagging feeling is gone and the clanking is almost gone!!

7. The noise is loud enough to turn heads for the wrong reason haha

8. Sometimes i also hear the noise when shifting and off the throttle..
    Another noise that I hear is when engaging the clutch quickly together with the foot on the gas pedal.. Not sure if the clutch or the flywheel that makes the noise..
    Have u guys noticed this?

9. Happy to have read this thread as I thought my gearbox mount might have gone after reading other things and hearing he noise.
    But seems like it might be fairly normal for the Megane

10. My noise was accompanied by a snagging feeling in the gearstick. Feels like the shift mechanism catches on something during the shift. I also have DMF noise (which the dealer reckons is diff noise..). It sounds and feels like a huge clonk every time i press or release the accelerator in 4th or 5th gear

11. Well I'm waiting for my box to be replaced (250).

I deffo notice the 'clanks' with the window open.

12. Mine is the same. Think it's just the way they are. Sounds horrible and like you're manhandling it.

Almost embarrassing if someone is close as it sounds like you don't know Wtf you're doing..

Improved slightly when u switched to my vibra technics torque link, but still not good enough imho..

13. is there any adjustment available in the shift cables?

14. Don't know to be honest but if you're still having the same problems but it's not getting worse, isn't it in the design that you're maybe not used to?

15. the mechanism is very clunky and rattles, I think that's just how it is.
    iv only been using this forum a few months and it seems everyone with a mk3 is in the same boat.

like someone said above, I am going to order a vibratechnik torque link to reduce gearbox movement, this should help.

16. My gearbox has been clonky all its life. Driving in the summer with the window down occasionally reminds you how extremely loud it actually is from the outside, its horrendous for a car like the 250. But not much we can do about it.

The Vibratechnics torque link isn't going to help, fitted it a month or 2 ago, no change in shift sounds. It's just the internals of the box that make it loud.

17. Usually linkage systems have some sort of adjustment in them to compensate for wear and manufacturing tolerances. To me, it sounds like the mechanism has too much slop in it. I sort of fixed it to a tolerable level on my previous 265 by fitting a stiff foam wedge between the battery box base and the shifter mechanism on the gearbox top. It didn't work on my new 265 so maybe the foam isnt thick enough or the battery box has moved slightly between the models.

The only other thing i can think of doing is gluing a rubber stopper to the shifter arm so that there's a cushion or stopper at each end. If the battery box wasn't so annoying to remove, i'd be able to experiment more frequently

18. Sorry to resurrect this thread , but I was about to post if people found the gear shift a little noisy on a 275. Looks like this answered my question !! Picked my 275 cup 's up on Saturday and noticed from the off that it had a loud shift mechanism. Just learning this cars noises with it being brand new. Really awesome car though. Can't wait till I've run the engine in !!!!

19. I picked up a 275 just over a month ago and thought the same, anyway, long story short, don't worry about, lol.

See my thread regarding noises here... http://www.rsmegane.com/showthread.php?11103-RS275-A-few-possibly-odd-noises

20. Thanks silversport !!! Awesome cars aren't they !

21. MBC

MBC

They take a little getting used to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. I noticed that it is better if you change out the torque link, even with original part, as i did it last week and i cant hear the shifting noise that much at all compared to before or compared with my previous Megane 250, that one was with much louder click sound on shifting.

23. Glad I found this thread! My shifting sounds awful with the window down. Took my 250 for it’s first spirited drive on Sunday since buying it in September. It is embarrassingly loud. Any way to remedy it or subdue it?