Sponsored By:  

No weight at the back?

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Frimley111R, Jun 8, 2017.

1. On my Clio the battery was relocated to the rear. Probably not bothered to do this on the Megane as it does not appear to save much weight from the front but I guess every little helps. I guess the cage will add a bit of weight back to the rear of the car.
    Aeorfoil....I have booked up a few trackdays and put the dates in the trackdays section on here....will you be taking your car to any of these?

2. Personally, rather than relocating the battery, I'd put a smaller and lightweight battery where it is.

-Jamie- and Cazper like this.
  3. that makes sense, they guy who sold me the car had a lightweight batter but kept it.....can you recommend which one would be good to go after? i guess it makes a lot more sense as the cable needed to reroute the battery to the rear is quite expensive and heavy on its own

4. Money no object, I'd look at liteblox.
    Good quality, last long, never had any charge/discharging issues.

Also have a Super B of some sort in a classic. Also working perfectly fine.

You may also want to consider build size/fitting of the battery, depending on if you're engine bay is standard or not.

5. cough those liteblox are very pricey but they do look great......i think something a little cheaper might be more suitable

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

This, Or into the cabin is where ill be moving mine. Mainly so i can run a different intake.

Id love a liteblox, however ill probably just end up with a PC680

7. Agree. PC680 would also be a good alternative!

8. Before answering your question; what's the usage of the car? The battery requirements vary a fair bit between daily driver that regularly does short trips, over a track car, to a race car with electrical pumps that are run in the pits...

9. It's a track car for trackdays only. I sometimes take it for a spin on the road but that is infrequent. I don't have any additional pumps etc.

10. Many thanks for the invites Cazper, but I have an extremely busy year ahead and would therefore like to politely decline.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Lot of magazine and Internet articles to read on cars you have never driven?

Pyper likes this.
  12. The only think with those little odyssey batterys is that they are specifically for a track style vehicle,I had one in my Clio 182 turbo and unless I used the car daily it would struggle to crank the car over after 3 days of not being used and in the winter a good few times it failed to start car at all DESPITE being used daily. Wouldn't bother again with one but would relocate the stock battery to boot as they are 17-20kgs average which is a fair bit of weight.as for the track day dates I myself will have a good look through and see if I can make any ,only had the Megane a few days u see. :-)

13. Yes. That's why I asked what usage the car would have.

However, even a similar amp lightweight battery will still be lighter than a comparable stock item.

14. I have an idea that might be able to help you free up some time for a Track day......
    I think ultralight was indicating a similar thing...as in depends what the car is used for. I think I would only put the battery in for trackdays and keep the normal one other times so the race battery can be kept on a conditioner/trickle charger

15. This exactly, with these tiny power cells you'll need a full time charger/conditioner connected my odyssey lasts around 3 days and that with alarm disabled

Mikey4410 likes this.
  16. The trickle charging a track day only car with an odyssey battery is the way to go I think.as I say a stock battery is 17-20kgs and the battery u had was 6.9 kgs. A huge weight saving.

17. To add: I have a liteblox in another car (with electric water pump) that can easily be used as a daily car. Always starts.

18. The next problem could be do you have A/C supply at the vehicle?

19. Now that's a coincidence because I've had an idea that might help free up some weight in your car. We are both clearly ideas people.

20. good point but i do have a supply to my battery if i whip it out of the car....one thing i was thinking is connectors so i can easily swap batteries ie the large one for the small one
    however mine is based on experience...... and I put my ideas into Action ;-)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  21. Roll cage ordered so that will add some more weight in the back....i probably need to go on a diet now to make up for it

22. 'one thing i was thinking is connectors so i can easily swap batteries ie the large one for the small one'

Wouldn't recommend that, battery needs a good permanent connection. Also given the large difference in size between the two there'd be no quick change involved just a right old faff.
    Far better go odessey with good retaining clamp and power supply or reg battery relocated if nessesary

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  23. Thanks for the info....I will have a nose round a few cars on the upcoming trackdays and see what has been done to others cars. I was looking at the retaining brackets etc and wondering what bits I might need to make the change easily. On the clio the battery had been moved to the rear of the car by previous owner and it seemed to be ok. When my Roll cage arrives I will look at whats needed then and see if it is a project I want to do or just leave as it is as my fat arse probably needs to get sorted before any benefit from a battery

bobsan likes this.
  24. Fire away then........