nice comparison clio 220 vs megane 275

Discussion in 'Megane Media' started by lctr, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Excellent - thanks for posting.

Bang on the money with the clutch and brake comments on the Megane.

Surprised the Clio was so close on track but the tyres must make a big difference there.

2. The video is at the top of review too.

Reading all the comments at the bottom - many people asking why they didn't run either car in race mode on the track when they were clearly stating that the Clio was severely hampered by the electronics. The editors responses don't make a lot of sense to be honest, almost like there is a hidden agenda at work.

3. That track is pretty heavily biased towards the Clio though, very tight and not having to stir the Meganes notchy box (ohh err mrs) between 2nd and 3rd probably helps the Clio that in reality is probably just as fast if you limit the experience to license keeping speeds.
    Get the Megane on some longer sweeping bends and straights, it'll pull away.

4. I see what you mean, and the article does say that they kept the Megane in 3rd for one of the runs, but if the Clio has an advantage due to it's size, then it's already won the battle in one respect, because a hot-hatch should never be 'too big'.

The Megane does win out on the road due to the overly hard suspension on the 220 though. The Meg is a lot more expensive as tested so you would expect it to be better really to be honest.

5. Silly thîng is in the UK at the moment you can order a megane for 3k less than the trophy :/

6. lol yes I know, hence the as tested comment.

Bit of a bargain now, the outgoing mk3, if you can keep off the options.

7. Five year unlimited mileage warranty aswell, but 10,000km servicing

8. How much fun does that track look!

9. What hot hatches are made for .

10. The Clio's face looks rather sad

11. A zero cred review.

Both guest reviewers gave the win to the Megane and then the dude writing the article suddenly decides the Clio should win.

The other big snag with the Clio is you can't do much to tune it.

12. Not entirely sure why they didn't turn TC off, since in the Clio the gearshifts are twice as fast in Race compared to Sport - and from experience with the 250, the TC will engage in faster corners where it seems to brake the rear (and wear your pads out!). Silly decision to go with Sport.

Either way, I'm expecting my Clio 220 within a month, it's towards the end of it's build (I can't make changes anymore) and I'm really looking forward to it.

13. I thought the same, hence me thinking there was a hidden agenda as above.

Didn't know you had ordered a 220 - hopefully you'll put a review and comparision on here :smile:

14. Yep had it on order since New Years Eve!

I'll definitely post some comparisons/opinions of the car once it's here.

From my test drive I feel like the press have all jumped on the bandwagon of insulting the car just because it's not the old Clio 200. It feels more like a smaller Megane and the gearbox felt very responsive (though I gather that wasn't always the case for the 200T since it's been recalibrated and sped up).

Plans are to keep it for a couple of years and see if the new Alpine floats my boat. Unless of course I decided to keep it like I did with the 250!