Next best alternative to Akropovic for RS250?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Lewis, Oct 20, 2015.

1. For the same money you could purchase a set of KW clubsports or Nitron R1's.
    For less money you could fit a better FMIC and a remap to 300bhp+.

Or... you could spend it on an exhaust that will at best release a small amount of power and change the exhaust tone marginally.
    Not going to criticise anyone for spending their own money, couldn't really care less to be honest but as it's a forum and the thread title is such, alternatives and opinions get offered.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  2. Thanks dude. That's some food for thought there anyway which I'll definitely consider. Overall I want to keep the car standard as I have my Rallye too. Also the roads around here are utterly shocking so wouldn't want to lower her really. My only plans modifications wise would be the exhaust maybe a nice steering wheel retrim and maybe a remap or something. We will see! Either way I appreciate the advice / input.

3. 106/205/306???

4. It's a 106 with a longmans engine.

5. I have a 275 trophy so I have an Akropovic and I love it. The sound, look and just the fact it really is one of the nicest exhausts around. Plus titanium so yeah.

But

I'll go back to my 197 as it was a question I faced with that. I'd heard an Akropovic on a car I was parked next to at fcs 2 years ago so got the chance to hear it on and off track and it was beautiful. I wanted it. I then looked into it and other exhausts. By the end of researching I'd settled on a scorpion 200 non res once I managed to break the current standard exhaust (it was old and had racked up mega mileage so I was expecting it to break)
    The Scorpion was a very nice exhaust. Good quality, a deep throaty growl that resembles the akro but was 1/3 ish the price. For me the akro, although I adored it, wasn't worth it when I knew I'd be in a Megane within a short span of space.
    I never actually brought the exhaust as the standard one clocked up another 30k without fault and was sold on with it (@110k)

You really need to weigh up the factors with something like the Akropovic exhaust because it is a lot of money for a cat back system. For some it's worth it and others it isn't.

If I was buying a 275 now I'd still 100% spec it with the exhaust. I'd even got it aftermarket with a newer Megane (because I plan to have this for quite a few years) if it was an older one I planned to spend a year tooling about in would I? No probably not. I'd buy a good quality exhaust and splurge the rest on a decent set of brake pads, braided lines and brake discs.

6. Ok, to update in this I ended up buying am Akropovic but just bought a motor with one already fitted. I'll do a project thread soon!

Ps. It pops and crackles a bit but it's not as loud and boy racery as the Clio one!

7. Sounds perfect

I actually thought it was a great loud on my clio, fine when in the mood, but a bit cringey when pottering round town

I've wondered what a Remus is like, only seen a couple of crappy vids but I'm curious

8. My mate had an Orbisound race system on his R27,perfect exhaust was quiet when you wanted it to be and sounded great when giving it death,don't know if they do one for a megane