New timing belt sound

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Joel white, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Hi guys I’ve just my timing belt done on my meg 250, so I had the timing belt done, aux belt water pump dephaser pulley was in good condition so I didn’t bother getting that done..... but anyway long story short since this change my car has a horrible idle sound when warmed up or driving just below 2000rpm, but sounds healthy when the engine is cold. Clueless as to what’s going on so here I am seeking professional help.

2. could be multitude things but dephaser is noisy when worn

3. Well I’ve just phoned the garage and said do you think it’s the dephaser pulley and the guy who I was speaking to said he thinks it’s something to do with the tensioners and not the dephaser pulley. Cars going back in on Monday to have a new timing belt kit fitted so we’ll see what happens from there......

4. I’d also like to add that before I had the belt changed there was no rough idle when the car was warmed or rough sound just below 2000rpm so surely it can’t be the dephaser pulley????

5. Typical when changing belt ALWAYS fit new dephaser and water pump plus cam oil seals just saves the aggro later