New RenaultSport Megane

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Semtax, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Front discs are promising!

Attached Files:

Nigelo likes this.
  2. Got a license now then? Congratulations.

I bet the insurance is a tad pricey as a first car.

GrumpyTwig likes this.
  3. Edit: just realised it's April 1st.....

4. Yeah I realised that after posting ha ha

5. NJH

NJH

Given how hideous the new new Civic is, how heavy the Focus RS is and how expensive and/or limited edition the exciting German models are this new Meg only really has to be 5% better than the old Meg and look like the teaser shot on page 3 to win.

MilosB likes this.
  6. Renault have done a great job with the Alpine, light weight and good spec and if they correct the big mistakes they made with the Clio 200/220T then it could be decent.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  7. Yea this. I am sure they won't flop, they've been building the best hot hatches for years so I have faith. The new civic looks far too outrageous, like an American muscle car meets jdm. I love the new clio styling so hopefully they'll get that right in the Meg too. Can't wait. Come on Renault! Gotta do better than those wheels on that mule too [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilosB likes this.
  8. Well the latest RS Clio was a flop on many levels, so this is Renaults chance to get back in the saddle with a decent Renaultsport. OK, it's going to have 5 doors but let's hope it's not another soft, auto shopping trolley with no traditional Renaultsport DNA. Time to build on the RS Megane's great tradition and get some mojo back. High hopes, plenty waiting for a result.

9. Glad that a manual is on the cards still, but a "more mature" design still leaves a lot of scope for them to screw it up!

10. I'm not sure how much of that is fact, to be honest.

All the indicators pointed to the new engine being 1.8, complying with the trend for downsizing as efficiency has increased. And they have to make a new engine, as the old F4T can't be developed any longer to meet the EU standards.

'Expect the car to be several tenths faster to 62' - again most likely rubbish. FWD platforms on road tyres are really at the limit now for 0-60. And the quoted figure for the 275 is wrong because that's the 0-60 time, not 62 - makes a difference.

Report is bullshit - the current GT is 26.5k without options FFS.

Auto only, 30k & 1.8lt

Lewis likes this.
  11. Let's hope "more mature" doesn't mean it's another Clio 200/220T type thing just appealing to the older generation that just want a comfy and easy ride.

MilosB likes this.
  12. Still looks awful :tongueout: not looking very sporty, and 4 door really ruins it for me

MilosB likes this.
  13. I like the look so far.
    Reveal at Monaco GP hopefully.

14. I keep seeing new Megane's on the road and they do look good in motion. The merc amg a class is awesome looking but quite 'mature'. Same as the focus RS. Looks quite subtle but nice. Hopefully Renault can get it right. Also not sure about the 0-60 times as my trophy has blitzed a new type r and also had it timed on the RS monitor at well under 6![emoji1320]

Gavin. likes this.
  15. Its BTG (bridge to gantry, not full lap) !
    And again its a development car and not one that could be bought...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

No it isn't. Its the industry standard full lap from T13.

moono16v likes this.
  17. God that's a close ratio box. Didn't watch the full vid but from what I could see he doesn't go down 2nd round the slow corners. Changing from 3rd to 4th at 122kPH (74MPH) suggests a very close ratio box.

That would be very uncomfortable on the road - say 70mph on the M1 at 4.5RPM..

MilosB likes this.
  18. It looks very nervous under the brakes as well.

What tyres it was running would be good to know. Certainly not the production Conti 6 tyre.

Only Renault seem to do these 'official' runs close to production spec.

MilosB likes this.
  19. Seen a couple of pics on the FB page which suggests the 4RS is on the production line..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ian Hughes and Nigelo like this.
  20. Today's offering!

inuJwSY.jpg

21. Only reservation is the exhaust but I'll wait till I see it

Otherwise looks the bollocks I think

Semtax likes this.
  22. Hmmmmmm

[​IMG]

23. The number plate is not on straight.

24. Does look rather German

25. To be fair the Meg had always had an exhaust like that. If anything seat have borrowed the design from Renault. I think it will look good!

MilosB likes this.
  26. Looks great.

27. The looks aren't too extreme. Not much you can do with a 5 door.

Let's have those tech specs and performance.

The existing GT Megane weighs 1463 kg so they have some work to do on weight and power.

The current Clio 200/220T auto apparently weighs much more than Renault claim, so they've got to keep it honest this time.

Nigelo and MilosB like this.
  28. They really should consider poaching some staff from Ford's marketing department. The hype they created surrounding the Focus RS was just ridiculous. The Megane campaign seems slightly chaotic in comparison.

29. Could be a reflection of Renaults underlying enthusiasm for the product.

They were having positively trouser bulging moments over the now cancelled Clio RS 16.

massivewangers likes this.
  30. So gutted about the clio. Would have been the best option by far and it looked fantastic and went like stink. Bad move by Renault cancelling it I feel.

31. Big PR disaster letting the project get that far. Loads of naffed off Renault engineers for sure.

Maybe the decision came from the same bean counters that were instrumental in turning out the duff Clio 200T.

32. The RS16 was only really a Megane 275 in a Clio body - I don't see what the big deal with cancelling it is, unless you value the 5 door bodyshell.

I've got a mk3 275 obviously, and a mk4 Clio, and honestly, the older car is better in virtually all regards. Of course, it's a more expensive segment so you'd expect it to be better, but then it's a significantly older design.

The RS16 was cancelled because it was going to have to retail at around £38k I believe, and Renualt knew nobody would buy at that, especially as at the time they were knocking out Megane 275's for £24k.

33. Renault could have knocked the RS 16 out at a decent price and used it as a limited edition halo model. The kudos and Renaultsport brand image enhancement would have outweighed any loss per unit.

This is Renaults last chance with the Mk4 Megane RS to prove it still wants to be a serious player in the hot hatch game. Big moment ahead.

34. Exactly. It would have been better than the Megane as its lighter and more agile. That's my only beef with the Meg it's big and you feel the weight especially coming from a clio 200. The new FRS is close to £40k with options (I priced one at 37 FYI) and the clio would've knocked spots off it. I drove the RS and it was a real let down for me. Completely utterly overhyped. Megane is a better drivers car by far.

35. And Renault has such a very strong presence in Motorsport and Alpine excepted, not backed up with decent products in the showroom. Such a dichotomy. They need a bit more risk, more edgy stuff, more appeal and more value for money for the enthusiast. They have to reverse the drift into mainstream corporate blandness.

Ian Hughes and Lewis like this.
  36. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/96910/renault-megane-rs-development-mule-spied-pictures#0

Apparently this is an 'exclusive' image, not convinced myself but u like the wheels, thet still think it will be the alpine engine and it does make sense but here's hoping for 2L

I see that 'port' over the front wheel arch and it is just about visible in the factory pic above.

The item on the back door looks ...uhh, not right, but otherwise i like it!

watermark-template_0.jpg

Jonny157 likes this.
  37. Yeah what's up with the vent at the back? It isn't a Porsche lol

I need to see real photos. Pano roof?

38. People still reckon the debut is down for Friday 26th May at Monaco GP