New Nurburgring Lap Record (production car)

Discussion in 'General Automotive & Motorsport Media' started by Pagey3103, Oct 21, 2013.

1. http://thegrid.michelin.co.uk/miche...ewsletter&dm_i=KPJ,1X71U,AJYF85,6WDDM,1Hi All

Hi all

Ive received an email from michelin telling me about a new lap record at Nordschleife for a hybrid supercar, so I thought I'd share? The Porsche 918 Spyder. It looks pretty awesome tbh (for a Porsche) I like the exhausts coming out the roof of the car.

Basically states the new michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres have been developed to achieve this record and the good news for you track day fanatics is they will be developing them in smaller sizes in the future. Should be a good fit with the new Mk4 Megane RS 300 :smiley:

Cheers

si

2. Yer those cup 2's are worth like 2 secs on a 2min track lap apparently! Mental eh!

still reckon the p1 will have it, see the p1 stats they issued today, 0-124 in 6.8 :0

3. Yeah the maclaren P1 will be a beast and with stats like that....I don't under stand the relevance of it doing 0-124 tho. Is this the new bench mark for super cars?

Basically the time it takes our hot hatch to get to 60 the P1 will be doing twice that. Watched a video on the P1 and the engine has all sorts of modes ranging from full electric 100 bhp engine for the city to the full hybrid for track performance- it's absolutely class and I hope hot hatches develop toward the hybrid engine- except the electric motor works like KERS- would make overtaking an absolute joy

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The 918 laptime was set a while back now LOL, bit behind :wink:

P1 was out On Monday(yesterday) setting lap times, Rumours are it has went at least 10s quicker than the Proshe but expect the offial lap time and video to appear at some point today :smile:

5. I didn't know that, cool.

I'm a massive P1 fan (esp in LY lol)

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm a massive Nurburgring geek, helps that I have quite a few friends out there in the know :smile:

7. HA well er yes I guess I wasn't paying attention but better late than never.

if you find the video for the P1 lap time it would be good if you could post it here.

Whats your best time around the ring ?

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Will do once it's released :smile:

Not managed any fast laps in the megane but my quickest in my old 140bhp MK7 fiesta was 8.50

9. sub 9min in a fesita? was the wind behind u? lol

10. Also bear in mind that these record attempts are timed on the full lap as opposed to the 200 meter shorter bridge to gantry laps that Joe public do.

Shouldn't be too long before Belofs legendary lap record is broken by a production car, now that will be an occasion

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just a good driver :wink:
    Btg times are about 20s quicker than a full lap iirc

12. So maclaren have released a new video of their P1 lapping Nordschleife. Kind of

http://youtu.be/E9IWiTpWeiM

I love the noise this car makes, sounds like it's going into warp speed with the whistling of those turbos and the roar of the exhaust is something else. Hmm this may be my favourite car of all time, maybe better than the Zonda R.

Still don't know the exact time tho, anyone else heard of the time???

13. Yer sounds wicked, they wont release the time but i heard 6:47 something like that!

14. Watched this vid the other day ... Sounds wicked

15. 6:47 will match the zonda Rs time. Tbh I thought it would go faster as the P1 has more power.

16. It will be very impressive if it beats the zondas time as the R isn't a road legal car, I'm expecting around a 6:50 from mclaren, they always do the job properly there not just going to beat the Porsche by half a second.

17. Dan

Dan

Taking the main straight flat in that car must be epic!

18. Especially using the electric motor as a KERS boost

19. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

loads of talk that its not near the 918, could be smoke and mirrors though.. at that speed and setup i wouldn't care!

Waiting on the Ferrari! :wink:

20. Booooooo! (Ferrari) lol

21. There's been lots of speculation that McLaren are waiting to see the LaFerarri times.

Personally I think they didn't beat the Porsche. If they did they'd proudly tell the world they beat it. With the stats of the Ferrari they would be fools to play the wait and see game as they'd probably end up with egg on their faces when the Italian giant slays them both.

With more power, more torque, higher top speed and a couple of fat heffers lighter my moneys firmly on the the Ferarri.

enzo1.jpg

ferrari-laferrari-versus-mclaren-p1-by-the-numbers_100421050_m.jpg

22. It is a bit odd they've kept the lap time so secretive but surely they've beaten the Porsche time of 6:57. I don't think they will beat The Zonda R time however, that just seems too much and surely they would have raved about that.

23. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

they never officially gave a MP412C time though remember...

24. really?? I was only just making the 9min mark in my 200 on a tourist day. That's over roughly 20 laps. You must of had no traffic at all?

25. Or a few seconds were missing, takes some believing in a 140bhp fiesta, don't care what suspension it was on , who am I to say though,

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Or I know the track well. Been for the past 5 years. Driven 50+ laps and have passengered in 200+.

Power isn't everything, hence the R4R swifts do 8.40's with stock power but good brakes/tyres/suspension

27. That ferrari looks the beans! They need to get a video of it doing a lap.