New member Megane DCi 175

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by skusey_, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Hi all,

So I picked up a Megane 175 last month, it's a standard LUX and I'm pretty happy with it.

Ran into a few issues however, when driving there's quite a lot of air noise from the turbo when climbing up the revs and I've recently had 'Check Injection' warning and orange spanner light pop up when I take the car up past 3k. The warning and light do go away quite quickly after I back off the throttle and the car doesn't go into limp mode, I've also plugged it in with a eBay job code reader but couldn't find any codes.

Anyone had a similar issue with a DCi? The car drives absolutely fine and without warnings or lights if I stay below 3k.

Cheers

2. Hi and welcome

Be best to get it plugged into "Clip" Renault's code reader, you don't need to go to Renault, i have Clip, most indy's will have it also.

3. Yeah thought I'd probably need to do that, hopefully won't be too tricky to sort.

4. might be injector leaking on return pipe, by that i mean injector internal seal/valve for the return back to the tank is leaking internally of the injector, i have this on mine and it does from time to time then disappear, i know my injector are due a refurbish/change after 178k on the clock.

might be caused by glow plugs, but if it was you would get that on a cold start on a cold day.

like said by Ian, best to plug it in to diagnose probably, glow plugs is fairly cheap to fix but injector is a lot more work/money.

5. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Welcome. To the forum. I also have a DCi but highly modified.

Firstly id be checking intercooler and turbo pipework, if its turbo air noise its going to be a boost leak from either a faulty pipe, split intercooler or lose connection on IC pipework.
    I suspect it will be under / overboosting causing the fault code hence the check injection. a proper diagnostic tool will find a true code.
    In my opinion don't be stripping the head to check leak offs as mentioned when the problem is air/turbo related.

Regards

6. Glow plugs only work for starting, engine will not turn over until the heat up time has passed.

I would also look at the boost pipes etc, see if you can get a smoke test done, that will show any leaks.

7. Thanks for the feedback fellas, much appreciated. It certain seems boost leak related, going to get the car plugged in this week to see what the it has thrown up, I will post back with the results.

tof73 and ianplymouth like this.
  8. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Cool man, best way to find a boost leak is just whip the front bumper off you can access all the pipework then :wink: let us know what it ends up being. The IC connection on the drivers side is a common area for a leak

9. So it's not good news fellas...

The noise was an air leak on the intake pipe as it wasn't quite refitted correctly the last time it was off, that at least has been remedied. But whilst we had that off we had a look at the turbo and there is a small chunk missing on one of the turbine fins. The car had a boost pressure sensor code stored and it seems like the turbo is almost stalling for a very small amount of time once you get above 3k, there is also a bit of play so new turbo is required.

Trying to source one this weekend and will hopefully be able to get one on a exchange basis.

:disappointed:

10. I've not seen a 1749 without any fin damage[emoji23] Everyone I've seen has always had something taken out of one of the fins for some reason

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

11. Oh right have people continued to run them like that? Ill still get mine swapped out for a remanufactured one but that's quite interesting.

12. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

You may aswell go hybrid for what an exchange unit would cost :wink: speak to the turbo centre leeds and mention me with the Megane DCi Hybrid, he'll look after you

CJ