new driveshafts

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by smithy-306, May 9, 2015.

1. Hi all.

I've been after a pair of new driveshafts for a while now but have been struggling to find any on internet and local parts store cant seem to help either, so im guessing for new ones im going have to go to the stealer's. However ive just found a set of reconditioned ones on carparts4less.co.uk. They are called GKN lobro and are about 105 quid each if i send them my old shafts once the new ones are fitted.

I was just wondering if anyone has used these recon'd shafts before and if there worth buying, or is it just better to go and give the dealer all my hard earned cash for some brand spankers.

cheers for any advise

2. I bought genuine new ones from Renault. They werent that bad tbh - around £130 I think

3. Really? That cheap? I thought they would be an absolute fortune from Renault. If there still that price ill be getting some new ones,

cheers andy

4. 170 per side from Renault but they're recon not brand new AFAIK.

5. just about to get one of those GKN shafts fitted to mine m8, will let you know how I get on :smile:
    although I suspect ill need the other side done as well :worried:

6. Driveshaft fitted today problem solved gkn decent IMHO £106 for ns shaft ☺️

7. When I had mine done Renault were trying to charge me 400 for a brand new shaft and 300 to fit. Ended up getting it done with a recon shaft from a RSM for half the cost, no problems ! Main stealer tried to claim they don't fit recon shafts

8. I bought a recon (off-side) shaft last year from Ads on here but it failed after about a year, the CV joint started knocking again . . .

I might have just been unlucky though, I'd take my chances with one of those GKN shafts over paying twice as much at a dealers.

9. I got one from renault parts direct, recon I think but that was £130 and has been fine

10. Cheers for the input guys. Sounds like the GKN driveshafts are good for the money. ill hopefully get them ordered this week and fit them next week along with my new engine mounts.

I am amazed how long the driveshafts have lasted to be fair. They have been clicking for months now and i keep putting it off. But ive got to drive to Norfolk (from Cumbria) in a couple of weeks, so now is the time to do it. I dont think the wife would be too happy if the shafts gave up on the way to her brothers wedding. lol.

11. Just ordered a pair of driveshaft. i called in at eurocarparts as they have opened a branch near me. They sell the same gkn driveshafts and are only 85quidish a side. Just thaught id let you all know. :smiley: