New creeking noise.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Scott Lewis Chambers, Jul 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Last couple of days I've noticed my car has developed a creek.

I noticed it mostly when I brake it creaks as I slow, and eventually as I stop it creaks again. It could be doing it at higher speeds but I can't hear it. It also creeks as I pull away.

Recently I've noticed it creaks when I turn right slowly, I've also heard some creekynessss when coming of a cerb. Could it be suspension related? the shocks look a bit rusty but nothing to bad? Breaks need changing Tbh as well.

Might try get a video of it tomorrow morning. Although I noticed the steering doesn't creak on a cold start. But it still does when I break.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. Hopefully just a Bush is starting to go.

On previous vehicles, I've squirted some oil or grease Bush by Bush to trace which it is, may work for you?

Scott Lewis Chambers likes this.
  3. Might give it a go. I have front disks and pads just not got round to change them.

Think I've got some oil somewhere.

I just hope it's not the gearbox mount. I think I tightened it up enough when I changed the bolt . The gearbox doesn't move when I give it a shake from underneath so I think I'm okay on that front.

4. You'd be surprised at how much movement there is from the engine when under load!

Mine felt fine when pulling on it by hand (mk2) but when I saw the movement on the dyno I was amazed!!

Try the oil, process of elimination won't hurt, and you could probably roll up a Kerb rather than jack it up.

5. Swivel joints normally creak when they’re knackered

Brigsy and Scott Lewis Chambers like this.
  6. I will do cheers. In that case I might check the mount bolt. Just for peace of mind as well. Its just an ass to get to

7. They are the ones in the hub? The ones Renault only sell as a hub unit? But you can buy the joint elsewhere. What they like to change though?

Don't look easy

8. So I ran some oil round as many bits I could reach and it doesn't seem to have stopped it.

I have noticed though it doesn't creek if I don't use the front brakes. I've booked a day to get my pads and disks changed. Had a sent of godspeed disk and pfc sitting in my lounge may aswell get them fitted. Think pads might be sticking I feel a suttle bite then loosening then bite again.

If that doesn't work. Might jack it up and take some bits apart.

I still need to check gearbox mount. Although I'd have thought that would also make a creaking sound (if it's loose) regardless if I brake or not.

9. You could disconnect the steering arms while you're changing the discs, if the hub moves freely then the swivel joints should be okay, bit of a bastard to change if they're knackered!

10. Yea they don't look fun, no bolts so I guess I'd need to use a press? Im going up to Scotland in Sept. So if they need switching I hear there's a garage up in Midlands that do a good job on them. I had a run today and deliberately drove hard, on the brakes, I could feel then sticking, the creeking got worse to point I could hear it at higher speeds. Once everything cooled they didn't creek much. I think it might be brakes. I could of course be wild wrong.

I'll update once I get them switched.

Will defo disconnect the steering arm and see if they move freely. Shouldn't be to difficult.

11. I had the exact same issue and both inner control arm bushings were toast. It wasn't apparant until you took the whole control arm off. Also, one lower swivel joint was toast.

Knocking noise coming on and off throttle at low speed and also braking at low speed.

12. So I ended up taking my car to a garage, they originally thought it much be top mounts. But once they got the car apart and started playing they found there was quite a bit of play in the hubs, I needed new Swivel joints on one side.

£300 later and my car no longer makes creeky noises. The control arm and everything was perfectly fine.