Need help.. funny noises and boost problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by James hickman, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Haven't long ha my rs265 cup.. absolutely love it.. couple of issues though that I'd like to see if any of you guys have also had..

Sometimes ill be booting it and she boosts lovely and goes like stink.. next minute I put it into say third gear.. give it some and there's just barely any power? But I can then take it back out of gear.. put it in the same gear.. try again.. and it's fine? What could this be?

Also everytime i change gear no matter how slow or fast.. I hear it click into gear? Not a grinding noise like a rattle noise everytime i drop the clutch and put it in gear? And yes my clutch is the whole way down..

If anyone has some info it'd be much appreciated as im baffled... many thanks.

2. Can't speak from any experience specific to Meganes here (but have experienced similar symptoms on other turbo cars before) but there are two switches on the gearbox, one tells the car when it's in reverse (for the reversing lights), and one tells it what gear it's in (or whether it's in neutral), often when a car thinks it's in neutral it won't boost the same as when it's in gear (some even have different boost levels for 1st and/or second gear), it's possible that the neutral switch on the gearbox could be at fault here, it could cause both of your symptoms, the clicking and the lack of power.

If you're still under warranty i'd be taking it to renault, if not; and it is the switch, they're a fairly cheap part and can be changed without removing the gearbox or dropping the oil.

3. Never new that.. thankyou very much.. I'll definately look into it! Would it be something that would show up on one of them car fault readers?

4. probably not as a fault code, but a decent one will be able to data log the switch output, which would show you if the car thinks you're in neutral when you're actually in a gear..

5. Your not touching the limiter slightly before changing gear and it miss firing in the next gear? As for the nouch goin into gear, i beleive thats pretty normal, mines done that for ages and not got any worse.

6. Mine does the 'clicking' sound going from one gear to to another, its normal. These cars have very mechanical sounding drivetrains! Quite motorsport-esc...I enjoy it!

SCP likes this.
  7. Motorsport :smiley: is that the clunk from 1st to 2nd they all do or the whine from the diff? :tongueout:

I suppose you could say they have 'character'

jack250 likes this.
  8. Yeah exactly! They are full of character these cars. Its taken me 4 months of ownership to settle in to the cars 'character' as you put GrumpyTwig!

9. Maybe I won't worry to much about the gear change noise then, have a look just incase but yeah concentrate on the boost problem.. it's strange because it happens nearly every time I'm in that gear for a while? Even just cruising along slowly? Mainly third and fourth..?

10. Mine does it - Its a known issue.

Its something to do with the cars ecu. The only way people have got rid of it is by mapping it or taking it to the dealer and getting it re-flashed

Have a read - http://rsmegane.com/threads/loss-of-power.10254/

There's nothing wrong with your car mechanically. Sit at just over 30mph in 3rd gear and then floor it if you get the flat feeling and then it comes back at about 5krpm you have the same problem.

11. Brilliant thankyou!

12. In regards to the reflash as you said what actually is that then? That the original map put back on or? As the garage i got my car from are absolutely useless.. dont want to help at all so still covered on manufacturers warranty but no garage im near seems to want to help. So frustrating

13. Re the reflash, yes, I think people have gone back to Renault under warranty, explained the problem and they reflash the ECU with perhaps an updated version of the cars original map I would have thought. If you still have Renault warranty just drop in there and speak to them.

If its a 3rd party warranty then I wouldn't bother even pursuing it as it will probably be a nightmare.

My car still has this issue but it will be getting mapped soon so I'm not gonna worry about it.

I don't really notice it very much to be honest, its only when cruising at 30 in 3rd for a while and then flooring it that I get the issue but not all the time. Must need to be very specific criteria for the ECU to do it.