My Trophy

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by evojkp, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Gave the car a quick tidy up earlier. Need to take time and give it a proper machine polish but for the moment it's just been washed, clayed, swissvax cleaner fluid and two coats of swissvax shield.

ea98c73ba4551a178967b31fa6fa4d4f.jpg

e2d9ed6198a4e8314dfb936c48f264d4.jpg

708279d3588f664c51812889492142f9.jpg

Apologies for iPhone pics.

Big Uno likes this.
  2. Very Nice mate

3. Does look great! :cool:

4. Well that's just ace.

Get some protection on it. I've just spent two days decontaminating and correcting the wifes 14 plate GW Clio - don't let it get as bad as that.

Flake looks great.

5. Cannot believe its been so long since I wrote on this thread, being honest I totally forgot all about it.

I've not really done a lot to it since the last update. Only uprated hoses and pads for trackdays where the car has been epic over the last 2.5 years.

Interior I stripped out the rear seats added the rear bar and cargo webbing...
    55dcad5002775573000d3ff422c638ac.jpg 80ece1d1b9cd4748d8175510331afdb5.jpg

Over the last couple of months I've really struggled with the car and by that I mean struggled to think what to replace it with as I usually dont keep cars this long. So I've been out testing quite a few cars and always on my drive home I think 'nope' not for me. Then after a tracknight at Knockhill last week...

35115912262_ca086be909_c.jpg dreadnought-31 copy by John Phillips, on Flickr

I decided that I would be keeping it for a while longer yet, as nothing out there gives me the driving pleasure on road or track that this does, and I always regretted getting rid of my RS250 a while back. I did not want to be back in that position of selling up buying a fast car and not getting along with it like the Meg...

So this morning ordered....

OZ 18" satin black Ultraleggeras with AD08R's on them and Confirmed a slot with Charlie at CGR to get the BC's fitted and set up including the custom spring rate for the rear. Should be good.

Beau, Pyper, Big Uno and 1 other person like this.
  6. I feel the same. For the money there great cars. I too have no idea what I'd replace it with, you'd be looking at 2-3 times the price of the Megane and then it doesn't really seem worth it. The new Meg will be interesting but I'm not interested in pcp deals or spending 30k cash on a car that's only going to depreciate

7. Meant to say, when the OZ's are fitted I'll be looking to move on the optional 19" Turinis...

8. Yip, totally agree. next car for me will probably be a Mk4 Trophy into next year. Let the initial depreciation happen on either a demo or pre-reg and see what happens, but until then just enjoy what I have and try and improve it for my enjoyment in the meantime.

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What rates have you chosen for the BCs

10. STD 10 on fronts and 8’s on back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. I've got its brother ! :smile:

evojkp likes this.
  12. I'd be interest in your Turinis mate drop me a pm.

I feel the same i've had mine three years now and I always get bored of cars and quickly move on. Renaultsport cars have been some of my favs to date though, as they are just so much fun to drive and exciting too. Also they are not really expensive to buy and maintain considering the performance they offer. I drove a new Fovus RS recently and was a bit 'meh', not a patch on the Renault. Maybe a bit faster and it gripped well, but everything else let it down in my opinion.

13. So today these happened, start of a good few days, part one done, part two next week.... :grinning:

IMG_0395.JPG

Pyper, VW TT and massivewangers like this.
  14. Are your oz centre caps a tight fit. Mine clip in but I can spin them around 360. They haven't fallen out yet lol

15. God knows mate. I’ll check later. Had them fitted, drove home and it’s parked up before heading to cgr this weekend.

16. Are you getting it corner weighted while it's there aswell

17. Yes that’s part of the set up. Be interesting as never had this set up before.

18. I know when I enquired they said 2 days to do the job. A bit chewy getting time off to get the car down. Might just pay someone to transport it down and bring it back

19. I’m just staying down there mate. A wander around and drink some beer in another part of the country [emoji1303]. Down Sunday night back Tuesday night.

20. BC Coilovers now fitted and got about 400 miles under my belt in them since leaving CGR yesterday. I cannot recommend CGR highly enough. A totally professional set-up and a 1st class attitude to their work and customers.

Most of my journey home was motorway, but managed a decent couple of B road blasts on the way and the car did not disappoint. Turn in and bite when the tyre is loaded is huge now, and when you plant the right foot the combination of the diff and coilovers just pulls the car round every corner. You have to work to get the best out of it. It reminded me back to my Evo days when you had to have the power on or the YAW controller/ pump would not assist.....anyway end result is huge smiles. My first set of coilovers ever....why did it take so long lol?!

Here are a couple of pics of it outside CGR, I'll get better ones done soon when I get a bit time.

fullsizeoutput_1e24.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1e28.jpeg

21. This is going to be my next mod I think, looks awesome at that ride height too!

evojkp likes this.
  22. That looks lovely.

evojkp likes this.
  23. I need to get mine done, looks so much better lower. What spring rates did you choose on the bc's

24. 10's on front with 8's on rear

25. Very nice!

How do those spring rates feel on bumpy/broken roads?

How do you mean you have to work to get the best out of it?

Did you also get rear shims, polybushes , arbs ...?

What geo settings did you go for?

What’s the clearance like at the front?

26. Spring rates on bumpy roads is obviously more solid that the std cup set up. You know its a stiffer set up, but being honest its not bad at all. Dont get me wrong I will be missing small holes and broken sections, but I done that before on std cup set up.

Maybe not the correct phrase I used about getting the best out of it, but after a little advice from the chaps at CGR around the camber and loading the front tyre on turn in more, I found that being more aggressive when pushing on makes everything work spot on. Smooth corner speed and not being as aggressive is very very good, but effectively attacking corners makes the set up shine even more (not sure I've described than well, but I know what I mean lol) I'm no race driver or elude to being a quick driver on track, but to my limited talent its a massive noticeable difference.

Rear was shimmed as part of the set up, but everything else std. Not sure on geo, as was the set up done by CGR. Clearance is good all round. The only issue I have had so far is coming out of the services at Gretna, those stupid high traffic calming islands caught the underside with a small bump, but they were high.

27. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a fun setup! It’s high on my list this if the mk4 doesn’t tempt me.

28. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Cheers for the kind words John, really glad you're happy with the set-up! :blush: Looking forward to seeing some on-track pictures of it going past everything else :sunglasses:

Just to answer a few questions above, we've set the car up to work best on-track so the geometry is quite aggressive so that when you're driving 8-9/10ths + on-track you get the biggest advantage, so the car still drives great on b-roads and on the road but isn't really optimised for 6-7/10ths driving like you'd normally get on the road.

We've set it up so you can work the tyres harder and have maximum cornering speeds when you're really pushing, the AD08R's help that too!

We can do set-ups that are far more optimised for fast road usage too if that's what suits you better, we can basically tailor for any sort of usage you'd need or however you want the car to drive, so just get in touch with us and let us know how you drive the car/want the car to drive and we can set it up and get the perfect spring rates for you :wink:

evojkp and VW TT like this.
  29. That looks pretty damn perfect [emoji1303]

evojkp likes this.
  30. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Forgot to mention we're also trying to get to a stage where we can get a car turned round in a day (albeit a very long one) now I've trained a couple of the guys up to help me set the car's up, I was doing it on my own before but if there's two of us working on it we might be able to get it done within a day, but we're yet to try as there's so many hours involved!

31. Looks great, and it’s good that cgr have done such a nice job. It’s rare to find good mechanics/ tuners these days. God knows I’ve binned my fair share of cash with complete numpties over the years.

32. What did they do when modifying the hole for the camber adjustment. Does it look like a tidy job. A picture would be good if possible.

33. I'll get one for you soon mate...

34. So went out for my first real run in it today and it did not disappoint, I had a play with the damper settings and to my inexperienced feel I settled on the rears being 5 clicks from soft, with the fronts 8 clicks from soft. I did try them a lot harder, but was a little squirty and skippy (technical terms lol) and I thought nope....lol

For a good few years i've used a route for a bit of fun, which takes starts off at Braco, across the moors road to Comrie, up round Lochearnhead, heading for Callander with a detour out to the Trossachs. Last time I done it was in my E92 M3 and gave up as it was a barge to get round the twisties, but the Meg had me giggling like a 10 year old on serious E numbers....

Anyway I took a couple of pics in between section of the route. Need to head out again tomorrow and see where I end up... DSC04577.jpg DSC04579.jpg DSC04582.jpg DSC04583.jpg

35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Looks incredible now John and good choice of test route!

Not sure if you mentioned it but what are the wheel specs? Looks nice and chunky

36. Cheers Jamie

They are OZ ultraleggera's 18" ET48 in satin black, on AD08R's 225/40's. Searched quite a few places for them, but got the best deal from Skidz in Falkirk.

37. SOLD!!

Leaves me on Friday. Replacement mk4 trophy on order after a good test drive yesterday. The new trophy is a bit of a special car, really looking forward to getting it now. Ive driven a good few cars over the last year but this is the first one that feels ‘right’ as the 275 does.

Spent this morning putting the interior back in. Loads of sweary words shouted

Got a couple of bits to put up for sale from rear bar, sabelt webbing and rear carpet, but will do this when i get a chance.

38. Be interesting to hear what you make of the mk4 trophy.

39. Replacement Mk4 Trophy arrived a couple of weeks back. Got to say, I'm totally over the moon with it. Only thing that I did not like was the over the top wheels, so replaced with option OEM ones. Still got the originals boxed and stored.

48359324212_3c21720824_c.jpg Untitled by John Phillips, on Flickr

48359218446_bd872a23fc_c.jpg AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_07_23_21:19:02 by John Phillips, on Flickr

48359316562_a08f32027d_c.jpg Untitled by John Phillips, on Flickr

and on its new, toned down wheels...the originals are stunning wheels, just not for me.

48521730612_925c0f2ae3_c.jpg Untitled by John Phillips, on Flickr

matt e and martenr like this.
  40. That looks like the nicest one I’ve seen.

evojkp likes this.