My Stick is floppy.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by twinturbo, Mar 13, 2019.

1. MK2 225 (04)

So this is the first thing I need to sort on my newly acquired 225.

The gear stick is more vague than a politicians policy commitments..

It's not that easy to get gears ( especially 2/4 ) did not know there were 6 until today.

I have seen 5Sp bush kits, is there a 6Sp one or is it the same? Is it likely to fix it?

How hard is the Job, (ok I can swap a V8 in a Jag, or a sierra engine (2hrs is my record on that)) but some time things are designed to be deliberately darn difficult.

Cheers

TT

2. Is that just when cold or after a while mate. The megs are renowned for selection issues when cold

3. It's bad enough to not probably be heat affected. Just driving it round the block I could hardly get second at all ended up just free revving which is obviously not good, missed 2nd 3 out of 4 attempts..

TT

4. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Might be a gearbox mount

5. Is the 6sp selector not prone to issues then?

Its like stirring custard.

6. Charlie Howard

Someone might correct me but I'm pretty sure the gearboxes are pretty good in these cars, on the 250 one of the gearbox mounts is a weak point. It might be the same on the 225

7. its possible its a mount, but gear selection is like Harry Potters wand..

obviously I have no reference to what is good or bad on this car.

8. if it's a 225 phase one then a quick short shift mod is going to be your first option.
    If it's a phase 2 then it will have to be machined to get the short shift mod done, the standard gear shifts are a bit woolly.

9. not known a mk2 gearbox mount to fail

10. Charlie Howard

Ah, not a mount then. My 225 gearshifts were fine though so it's not a normal thing

11. its a major issue rather than just an upgrade.. 2k4 car. sellection is very poor.

Perhaps its normal for these cars but if it was a ( ford,Vw,Volvo, other experience) then alarms would ring..

12. Charlie Howard

I don't think it's normally it sounds like something is wrong, maybe mounts aren't known but doesn't mean it can't happen. I would take it to a garage and get it checked out

13. Not sure if it's different in Renault land but where i come from we like to fix it ourself hands on...

If and when i need my mechanics they will do a good job, but i don't waste money on them.

TT

14. Charlie Howard

Didn't know if you wanted to do it yourself or not. I'd check the gearbox mounts first

15. Been driving Fords then :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

16. Charlie Howard

Ford owners have a ramp reserved at their local garages

17. I have owned everything..

30 years ago I would have slated Ford.

Now they knock socks off everything.

If this simple gearbox issue can't be resolved then the 225 will be booked into the big bad breakers. Surely someone has any sort of idea??

18. First port of call is to get the actuator out,to see if its seizing up.
    There is a small bush that gets tight over the years,and will need to be opened out a little to make the actuator run smooth again.

Once you have done that,a simple modification of the very small actuator on the early phase 1 cars like yours,
    which requires you to move the position of the ball stud on the actuator slightly.

Sounds like nothing,but it will massively improve the feel,and throw of the gearshift.
    taking it from one of the worst,to one of the best things about the car.

contact phil watkins on here,to see if he has any rebuilt phase 1 actuators,or can do yours if you are unsure what to do.

he runs the shortshift service on here,and on the facebook page.

links are on here for how to hone out the bush on the actuator,and in the how to section is a guide for creating your own shortshift on a phase 1 car like yours.

coetseejj.rd likes this.
  19. Ohh dear, you weren't the guy i took around Bedford were you, he thought the RS was the dogs, until we passed one that he said he knew was running 400hp :laughing::laughing::laughing:

BIG E likes this.
  20. So there are no known issues with the gear stick end?

I have seen reference to the bush on the gearbox end elsewhere, thing is it does not feel stiff at all.

TT

21. @twinturbo, you are going to have to get in there to see where the issue is. I'm not 100% sure on the Phase 1 since I have a Ph2...

Remove the battery, battery tray and then the airbox. You'll have plenty of space to see/work then. Let someone move the shifter in the car and then you can see and feel for play on the cable ends. Each cable has a balljoint end on both sides, maybe someone broke one and jimmy rigged it to just make it work to sell.

I broke the plastic cup inside my shifter units side cable and could obviously not select gears. Replaced the whole unit since Renault doesn't sell the $.5 plastic cups separately.

Another thing that plays major part is all the engine mounts, if 2 out of the 4 mounts are knackered you'll start having shift issues. Best will be to remove and inspect each mount individually. The two biggest culprits are the dog bone against the firewall (right side of bay, left side if looking at open bonnet) and the bottom mount at the bottom rear of the engine. These two control the front and rear "rotation" of the engine. Heck grab your engine and try to move it around in the bay. If it aint solid with just a teeny tiny bit of movement (like when folding a piece of stiff rubber) there's an issue.

Lastly there might be worn out parts inside the gearbox selector mechanism but I've never opened one of these to even say how it works.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out with some hands on diagnosis. Forum will only take you so far then you have to get in there (or take to garage) and report back so we can see if we ever seen anything like what you might present.

22. The only thing garages do for me is fit tyres and MOT...

Well I can't do anything till the weekend, car is not at home.

23. You know, some guys here have given advise that might really help you out.. a Thank You goes a long way.

24. Sorry, early AM.... I am one of those guys on other forums, even provide the ONLY automated free radio code service for one of them..

Thanks..

25. Are these bushes on the cable end not replaceable??

Cheers

TT

26. I could not find any in my country (RSA) and it's my daily driver so did not have time to look around and find alternative solutions. You might just be able to get something similar. Could make some with a lathe and mill if you have access to them.

Let us know once you have investigated on the car. Quite interested to know what you find.

27. Will keep you posted , I guess the official solution is a new cable.

Thanks

TT

28. Does anyone know if the Sport 6 Speed selector and cables are the same as the other 6Sp cars?

I can find cables for ~£30, bu tnot sure if they are correct... Also only one cable seems to be available for these and not 2?

Cheers

TT

29. Found the cables listed on the Borg and Beck website, Both for the 1.9DCi and the 2.0 F4Rt (Learning as I go)

BKG1026
    BKG1025

Looks promising...

Not even confirmed it is the cables as yet. Time to find them or an equivilent...

coetseejj.rd likes this.
  30. Got a complete 6sp selector with cables used for £20, feels a bit more positive even on the kitchen floor, and now I know what I am working with.

TT

coetseejj.rd likes this.