My RS 265 is incredibly sluggish. Need urgent help.

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Christopher Addis, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Hi guys. I've had my RS 265 for a couple of weeks now. For the past week it has started to run incredibly rough with poor acceleration and massive amount of turbo lag.

Cold start is incredibly rough. Car will shake and be lumpy until its warm. Even then I can feel the engine is slightly lumpy.

I have a miltek exhaust system and I've noticed my exhaust is starting to sound muffled. Like the car is suffocating?

Car struggles to accelerate up hills. Throttle feels extremely heavy, poor throttle response and delay. I'm also getting 18k per 100km economy which is absolutely dreadful.

I live in Queensland Gold Coast Australia and our 98 ron is terrible. I have had constant issues with it. I also can smell sulfer intermittently but not always.

I've changed my plugs and injectors but problem stll persists.

Some things to note. My temp readings needle will fall below half way when cruising. My rpm rev limiter will stop at 5800 rpm.

I can't really emphasise in detail how sluggish this car feels. It's dreadful. Feels like I've lost 250hp?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. That sounds an awful lot like a faulty thermostat, common problem on the MK3's, I'd replace it and see if it fixes the issue.

3. As per Benno's post, certainly sounds like a faulty thermostat - I had exactly the same problem with similar symptoms.

The following table is a map table for the RS, controlling max rpm based on engine coolant temp (ECT)
    Coolant temp vs rpm limiter map.png

4. Hi guys. Sorry for the late reply. I've changed my thermostat as suggested here. Unfortunately still having the same issues.

I wonder of its worth trying a different brand of fuel?

Thanks everyone for the help

5. Certainly worth a try - ie different fuel supplier
    Also strongly suggest getting a OBD2 fault code reader on the car and see what shows up. In particular look at things like
    1. short and long term fuel trim
    2. lambda signal
    3. knock signal
    4. misfire count
    5. coolant temp (may be a faulty transmitter)
    6. etc
    Otherwise its difficult to pin point